Search results

1. A

Nakamichi cr-4e service?

I sent my CR-4a to Willy Herman. It takes some time and money, but I sent a deck most people might toss into the dumpster and Willy restored the performance to factory new. Initially I did try 2 different local technicians, but neither had the knowledge nor the specialized equipment to repair...
  2. A

cracked nylon gear repair

Draw the gear in Fusion 360. Buy some nylon. (Nylatech Cast Nylon Sheet Manufacturer & Fabrication) Have it CNC machined.
  3. A

Sluggish and slow Windows 10 machine

The first thing that came to my mind was a hardware issue. If your computer has more the one stick of RAM take a look and see first if they match or someone may have cobbled together a system with whatever was lying around. Try running the computer with one stick of RAM and test each stick by...
  4. A

STICKY SHED SYNDROME LIST (Found 30 Jazz Reels but Don't Know Content)

Lots of info here, but I have also come across tapes that were on the wrong reels and in the wrong boxes. In one case someone had transferred tape from a 10.5" reel to 7.25" reels and it was one of the SSS tapes, so I really think you need to play the tapes on a properly working R2R before you...
  5. A

Cassette decks...new or used?

New decks no longer feature Dolby noise reduction, the licensing agreements have expired. If you buy an older deck odds are it will need repairs so do your research first. In some cases replacement parts can be hard to source and the tiny pieces can be difficult to work on. Also, although heads...
  6. A

Best vehicle for snow?

Basically the formula for snow is pushing the tires through the snow so they can contact pavement. So avoid oversized tires and opt for a heavy vehicle with at least a rear locking differential and 4 wheel drive or one of the better all wheel drive systems. However, what works in snow works...
  7. A

Any Hi-End Turntables with (at least) Auto-Lift?

What I find amazing is that in an age of robotics, computer design & simulation, that anyone would think that it wouldn't be possible to add autolift and auto shutoff without compromising performance. Also comparing a turntable to a car is silly. Isn't mass often considered a feature because it...
  8. A

The 10 speed transmissions in current use were jointly developed. :rflmao:It's called engineering!
  9. A

I find it hard to believe that with the technology available today manufactures' cannot preserve sound quality once relatively simple features such as arm lifts and auto shut off features are included in these high end turntables. As for the custom tone arm argument, why can't Companies collaborate?
  10. A

Tesla Truck revealed and it may be a joke.

Swapping batteries was an idea, but no longer as new breakthroughs in battery technology are anticipated. As an example my Volt can be charged in approximately 4.5 hours using a fast charger. Some of the 2019 Volts have a fast charger option and can be fully charged in 2.5 hours! I might add...
  11. A

Tesla Truck revealed and it may be a joke.

Well, I really loved my 68 Charger, about 9 mpg of the good stuff which you can't even buy today, I had a V-10 RAM, a Cummings RAM, and now I drive a Chevy Volt. The Volt averages over 80 mpg and some of the Chevy dealers allow me to use their fast charger for free, so I think anyone buying a...
  12. A

New Car Battery Dead - Will Driving Alone Recharge?

I use a CTEC 3300 which, if you shop around, you can get for a reasonable price. Just hook it up and it takes care of everything for you.
  13. A

Equalizer for bootlegs recommendations

Well, I use Audacity as well, but I wouldn't say it is easy to learn how to use it effectively. For one thing, sometimes you might have a pretty good idea what needs to be done, however just using the most direct approach can create new issues such as phase distortion, so creating audiophile...
  14. A

Thoughts on fine tuning a digital system to sound analogue

If I were mixing, I use a pure digital workflow, and my customer wanted that analog sound I would add tape hiss as low as -80 db. by adding an additional digital track of just hiss. Even though you cannot, "Hear," the hiss it is there and does make a difference. My super cassette decks can do...
  15. A

R2R...those of you who use them, do you use a lot of pre-recorded tapes?

I buy used records to find what I like, then I try to find prerecorded tapes of my favorites. My experience has been that prerecorded tapes sound different from the vinyl, usually much better even at 3 3/4ips which many Rock albums were recorded at. I have never heard, nor do I intend to buy...
  16. A

New Car Versus Used Car Purchase

I bought a, "Factory car." It was titled as new, but used by GM, probably driven by salesmen, and had 18K on the odometer. As for reliability, it's still a Chevy so not perfect. If you drive only short distances you can change the motor oil every other year. The fuel system has a sensor that...
  17. A

New Car Versus Used Car Purchase

You should consider an electric vehicle. Far fewer parts, regenerative braking, no warm up needed, and so smooth and quiet. I have 73K on my Chevy Volt and glad I didn't buy an unreliable and obsolete gas guzzler, but do your research first.
  18. A

The $3,200 Record Clamp

Let's see, $100,000+ for a massive turntable that is supposed to eliminate all unwanted resonance. Then add $3200 for a record clamp that adds resonance. Have I got that right???
  19. A

CSN&Y 4 Way Street

I have both the vinyl and R2R. You really need to hear the factory recorded R2R, the vinyl pales in comparison!
  20. A

Should I replace my old Monster Cable?

My understanding is that speaker wire can only degrade a system, therefore use as little as possible, preferably powered speakers or mono blocks placed directly behind the speakers with very short cables for the best results. So yes, high priced speaker cables do not produce the best possible...
  21. A

Should I replace my old Monster Cable?

Measure the cable's resistance to see if the ends have good contact or if there is corrosion, and of course, both cables should measure the same. Also, shorter is better, if you have excess cable shorten it. I had two cables each six feet in length. By cutting one in half I now have three foot...
  22. A

Does anyone know something about drilling into aluminum? DIY tonearm fail!!

Why don't you just take it to a machine shop.
  23. A

What Is The Safest Cheapest Way To Move A 2000 Record Record Collection Across The Country??

Go to a truck stop and talk to some truckers. There is probably a bulletin board there where you can post what you need to arrange a, "Back hall." You will be surprised how little they get paid in comparison to what you've been quoted.
  24. A

Really? Reel to reel.

I just bought a bootleg Carlos Santana concert 1/4 track R2R recorded @ 3 3/4 ips. To give you an idea of how good this tape sounds, about 3/4 of the way through the concert there is what I think was a static discharge or some other sort of electrical discharge that was picked up and recorded...
Back
Top Bottom