Search results

1. redpackman

Help from some Stanton experts, please

Is the Stanton D81 stylus a stereohedron too? I'll do the switch and get it right. By the way what is the price range for a 're-tipping" of one of these stylus? I can't imagine the precision work involved in that endeavor.
  2. redpackman

:banana:Thank you so much for all the information so quickly. One question. It was affirmed that the styli ought to be switched between these two cartridges because the 881s is a Stereohedron stylus, and yet the brochure posted just above this post advertises the 881 as having a Stereohedron...
  3. redpackman

i have come across two vintage Stanton cartridges. One is clearly an 881S. The other says Stanton on the top but does not have any other identifyng marking except for the numbers etched on the side. Both styli seem to be in good condition. First what do the numbers etched on the side indicate...
  4. redpackman

Dual 1258 Turntable Cartridge help needed

Got the requisite caps, installed them and the TT now spins in the proper direction! Thanks for the help!
  5. redpackman

Dual 1258 Turntable Cartridge help needed

I just picked up a Dual 1259. It had some needs: platter spun backwards at times. I've got some caps coming from DigiKey that will hopefully address that situation. The left and right channel cables to the receiver/amp were horrible. Some manufacturers really offer fine cables. Duals in this...
  6. redpackman

I have a Marantz SR-68 that drops its presets. Why?

Thank you for your input. With your help I was able to find the item. It is on the front side of the display board, so you can't see it at all even with the cover off. One has to removed the display board from the front plastic faceplate. Here are some pictures for other Marantz users and for...
  7. redpackman

Kenwood KA-3500 - transformer hum and a hot R-47 resistor - suggestions?

Yes, it is R-47 pardon me. Does that resistor get hot because the output is shot or is there a way to regulate it so it does not heat up R-47?
  8. redpackman

Kenwood KA-3500 - transformer hum and a hot R-47 resistor - suggestions?

Looking at a KA-3500 that has a transformer hum and a hot R-47 resistor? Anyi suggestions as to probable cause.
  9. redpackman

Dual 1237 - Start/Stop/Repeat Cycle Issue

Thank you, thank you for this post that is now around a decade old and still helping people. I had my 1237 apart and messed with it and messed it up (I can do as much damage fixing something as I do good "repairing" it sometimes) for hours this week. Then I did a search on Dual 1237's in a...
  10. redpackman

Need a little help ID'ing this cartridge

Thank you for the input. I have had many Shure cartridges and I never would have guessed that this was an M 91E. Without the paint, I was clueless.I believe the ohm reading was right around 630 or so. Update: just checked again. 633 and 635 ohms on the two channels.
  11. redpackman

Need a little help ID'ing this cartridge

OK, it's pretty beat up, but testing it, both channels have continuity. Any idea what brand it is? I need to know the manufacturer before I can try a new stylus on it. Any information is appreciated.
  12. redpackman

Why does my Marantz SR-68 receiver drop the preset channels on the radio settings. I can't see that it has a battery. Is there one inside? there is a service manual on VinylEngine. Or is the preset held by a charge in a capacitor? It drops the channel presets even when it's been plugged in.
  13. redpackman

Why does my Marantz SR-68 receiver drop the preset channels on the radio settings. I can't see that it has a battery. Is there one inside? there is a service manual on VinylEngine. Or is the preset held by a charge in a capacitor? It drops the channel presets even when it's been plugged in.
  14. redpackman

Kenwood KR-4600 Bias setting

Well it's next morning. I did it correctly this time due to the help I received on this board. THANK YOU. It worked like a charm!! I will set it properly at 37.6, too.
  15. redpackman

Thank you, ricki and painttoad, for the correction. That was no way clear (until I reexamined the manual after your great corrective) in the service manual. I will try that (correct and corrected) method in the morning. Now that I went back to look at the service manual the SECOND arrow...
  16. redpackman

I've just picked up a Kenwood KR-4600. Hooked it up. Cleaned the pots & controls all round and the scratchy sound and cutting out went away. Sounded good on some little test speakers I hooked it up to. Looked at the service manual I downloaded from HiFiEngine (thank you!) and saw that there was...
  17. redpackman

The greatest collectors of Acoustic Research

I currently have a pair of AR3a's and a pair of AR-6's. My wife like's the 6's best. No, I will not ship you the AR-3a's in the quest for marital harmony.
  18. redpackman

AR-2ax Speaker - what kind of wood veneer? Pine?

Well, an interesting discussion of what pine AR2ax's look like when stripped. WAY, way back on the first couple pages before we got into a discussion of every other component in the AR2ax, you'll see pictures of the the ones I have before cleaning them up and sanding them. Here's what they look...
  19. redpackman

Kenwood KR-4070 - Dead AM - everything else works - HELP!

Thank you w3jn! For your clear and helpful reply. I did the tests you suggested. touching the pins of the IC with a metal screwdriver had some effect but not much and it certainly wasn't increasing in volume as I progressed in the order you suggested. The voltage readings on Qg55 are: B...
  20. redpackman

It did not solve the problem. I put in a new IC today and there's still no volatage at pin 12. Same symptoms as before. Help.
  21. redpackman

Thank you EL504 for your council on this. I've checked the switches and they appear to be good (see posting #5 above). The Qg5 seems to have reasonable voltages, too. However upon examination of the schematic and the readings I've taken from the AM ICg2: HA1147, I am hopeful I've found the...
  22. redpackman

Compared the switch readings with another Kenwood KR-4070 on which the AM does work. The readings are identical, so I don't beleive it's the switches. All the other funcitons work so the switches seem to operate properly.
  23. redpackman

Thank both of you for your replies. The AM ferrite antenna seems to be intact as much as I can tell. There is continuity between both lead pairs that come from the antenna and I don't see anything broken on or in the antenna. All the following are with the receiver turned on and in AM position...
  24. redpackman

Picked up a decent KR-4070. Opened it up. Blew out the dust. Cleaned ALL controls with De-oxit.Set the DC ibias to specs. Gladly everything works, all channels, No scratchy sound. Aux, Tape, FM all work, BUT the AM is totally dead. Meters don't budge a mm and they work fine on FM. Even gets...
  25. redpackman

AR-2ax Speaker - what kind of wood veneer? Pine?

It appears that they have been stained. If possible I'd like to restore them as much as one can to the original raw finish, or lack thereof. Please confirm what wood you believe this to be. I'm not sure what grain I'm looking at. Some looks wider like the Baltic Birch, and some looks like pine...
Back
Top Bottom