Search results

1. TudorTurtle

Simplest Way to Crossover for a Passive Sub

Let the mains roll off naturally. They don't dig very deep. Try a large value mH iron core (cheap) inductor on the sub, say 16mH. You can buy several lower value coils, so you can adjust total value by ear. Say a 1mH + 2 x 2 mH + 4 mH + 7mH. Prolly $40ish Look up the 1st order xo calculators...
  2. TudorTurtle

When Your System Is Complete. Or Do I Need Another Hobby?

My stereo is happily complete, unchanged for 3 years. I've been fixing and riding vintage mid-range road bikes.
  3. TudorTurtle

Best Record/Vintage Audio Store is in Frederick Maryland

Very cool. I'll be stopping in.
  4. TudorTurtle

Bicycle Restorations, Builds and ...

Have you seen prices on used wheelsets?
  5. TudorTurtle

Recommended great production/recordings Thread

Solar Energy by the Ray Brown Trio The gentleman are in the room, and Ray's big acoustic bass is recorded perfectly. Their "A Train", at a New Orleans funeral pace, is unforgettable.
  6. TudorTurtle

Fine German Craftsmanship

The very straight grain and long vertical bands of color indicate mahogany to me. It's a very common veneer; reasonable cost, easy to work with and easy to stain.
  7. TudorTurtle

Old Klipsch Heresys, empty, forlorn, a project and a half.

Empty cabs are the worst starting point to a speaker project, IMO.
  8. TudorTurtle

Opinion on room response of my room

Besides the hump at 60 hz, it's not a bad looking room plot IMO.
  9. TudorTurtle

L-Pad calculator

Use the tweeter's 6 ohm value for your calcs. Your calcs should end up with about a 1 to 2 ohm resistor in line, and around 20 ohm resistor to shunt.
  10. TudorTurtle

Strange Noise coming out of left Speaker after reciever is powered off?

Which you can prove by swapping the speaker left and right.
  11. TudorTurtle

Finaly decided to re-veneer my lil spikas !

Oh hell yes.
  12. TudorTurtle

Finaly decided to re-veneer my lil spikas !

They look great! Wish I was in the neighborhood, would really like to hear them.
  13. TudorTurtle

Tips for the soldering newbie?

My remedial soldering practice was an Elenco radio kit. The instructions were superb, and had regular test check points along the way to ensure correct soldering.
  14. TudorTurtle

Affordable workbenches?

I bought 2 of the 2' x 4' Workpro brand from Amazon, about 125 each. They've lasted in a hard working shop for over 2 years.
  15. TudorTurtle

Speaker build from unknown crossovers..?

You mean; after selecting and buying 4 drivers, designing the cabinet, buying materials and building 2 cabinets with bracing and damping, wiring them up, testing for correct polarity... THEN the speakers can be hooked up and listened to, with results; gawdonlyknows.
  16. TudorTurtle

DiY speakers advice for Maranz 2275

One of Troels Gravesen's 3 Way Classics. There are several designs using different driver mfrs. Here's one using the Scanspeak Discovery line of drivers. http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Discovery-3WC-mkII.htm
  17. TudorTurtle

Pickups in the US

Never know when we're going to have to load up and save the clear thinking Europeans from their twice a century slaughter of each other.
  18. TudorTurtle

Introducing... the Bel Petite!

Great execution! I think your design is both current and MCM honest. Not easy to pull off. Congrats.
  19. TudorTurtle

Advent Heritage Crossover Question

Jeez, I typed the opposite of what I was thinking. I meant to say I think 6.2 would be fine.
  20. TudorTurtle

Advent Heritage Crossover Question

I'd go with parallel to reach the 6 uF, but I doubt 6.2 uF would be fine. I use both Solen and Audyn caps. I think they are good quality at reasonable cost. Not a tube amp guy so the 4 ohm connection choice is only a guess.
  21. TudorTurtle

Marble floor and floorstanding speakers

Are those feet really $600 for 8 of them?
  22. TudorTurtle

Things you don't see anymore.

Seeds. Still get stems though.
  23. TudorTurtle

Frequency analysis apps

When you get your mic and test using a frequency sweep tone (use the RTA feature), I think you'll see a very different response curve.
  24. TudorTurtle

Grateful Dead spins:

Shown the Light Buffalo, May 9, 1977
Back
Top Bottom