Search results

1. H

My retro Sony ES network streamer project

I'm a massive sucker for Sony ES gear and I've always fancied one of their radio tuners to add to my stack, but to me FM radio is somewhat useless nowadays and will be phased out in the not too distant future here in the UK. So I had the idea to turn one into a modern network music streamer...
  2. H

Kef NT25 tweeter ferrofluid replacement glue question

Hi everyone, Hope you don't mind me posting a new thread on this as I could do with some assurance! I am going to be undertaking this procedure on my Kef Reference 3.2s and I am just wondering what sort of glue I need to use to join the plastic dust cap/surround to the metal magnet back...
  3. H

Sony ES deck - periodic maintenance?

Hi everyone I have bought myself an absolutely gorgeous Sony TC-K333EsL (K970ES) deck. It was sold as fully serviced, and I have a list of what was done which includes an awful lot of stuff. It seems to have been restored to full factory spec. It’s also in amazing cosmetic condition and I even...
  4. H

1980s Sony Integrated Amp - Any "must do" servicing steps?

Hi Everyone, On a whim, I recently bought myself a Sony TA-AX44B integrated amp. I mainly bought it to match, aesthetically (and in terms of the period) my CDP-101. I love it, and I love Sony's 80s aesthetic. It looks brilliant. Here it is in all its 80s glory: It's in great condition...
  5. H

Rotel RB-850 power amp channel imbalance

Hi all, I have acquired a nice old Rotel RB-850 power amp. Upon testing it I have noticed that the right channel is a lot quieter than the left. There is no hiss or hum from the speakers, and everything sounds "fine", apart from the imbalance. I have measured the DC offset at the speaker...
  6. H

Tape player "restoration" steps?

Hi all, Tape newbie here. I have a few cassettes but it certainly isn't my primary listening medium. I recently bought a nice little Technics micro component system (see here https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/mini-micro-component-systems-show-us-yours.958240/ ) with a cassette...
  7. H

Mini/Micro component systems - Show us yours

Hi all, I recently found this little Technics beauty at a car boot sale (flea market) for £20 - a bit of a steal. I used to pour over hifi catalogues as a child and really wanted something like this, but neither me nor my parents could afford it! It's a Technics HD51 component set, and all I...
  8. H

CD player modding - More specifically a Denon DCD-820

Hi all, I've recently acquired a lovely condition Denon DCD-820, as I was keen to see how the old 80s Burr Brown DACs compare to newer examples. I'm thoroughly impressed with how it sounds - I can usually tell sod all difference between different DACs and players where modern equipment is...
  9. H

Anybody using a "vintage" DAC?

1990s or older :) I'm using a Sony DAS-702ES in my office system and it's older than me - it dates from 1984 and is believed to be the first consumer standalone DAC. So it's a cool piece of kit. It also sounds absolutely fantastic. There's a lot of talk about the latest stuff in this forum...
  10. H

My pride and joy. Or simply "clutter", if you ask my girlfriend.

Hello everyone, I've been a member here for a while, and I really enjoy reading and posting here, so I thought it was about time I posted a thread showing all my systems and serving as a bit of a change log for posterity! I've been into hifi and AV since I was little, and now that I own my own...
  11. H

Sony DAS-702ES DAC problem with one channel

Hi all, I recently bought a really rare Sony 702ES DAC (from 1983 - one of the world's first outboard DACs!) which has a problem - the right channel has no audio at all. The left channel works but you get a bit of static in the sound when it's cold. I'm no electronics expert but I've had the...
  12. H

Sony ES stuff - is it worth the money?

Hi all, I have loved Sony's ES gear for a long time. I recently picked up a 530ES amp in mint condition for a great price and I'm over the moon with it. I would like to complement it with an ES CD player or minidisc player (something I have recently gotten into, having never used minidisc when...
  13. H

My new Sony 530ES amplifier

Hi all, I've been browsing this site for ages now and dribbling over all your lovely vintage setups. I'm a big fan of the 80s hifi aesthetic in particular. My other systems are a mixture of more modern equipment but still "old enough to be cool"! I've been in love with the Sony ES aesthetic...
  14. H

Kabuki speakers. Talk me through them.

Hi folks, I've been into hifi since I was yay high *holds hands a few inches off the ground*, but living in the UK the concept of Kabuki speakers is rather alien. Ever since I've been reading vintage audio forums, they have fascinated me. Since I'm not likely to ever hear a pair of proper...
  15. H

Any UK members? Where do you find... stuff?

Hi all, As a UK inhabitant, I have found that there are very few sources of sensibly-priced older gear. Outside of car-boot sales (known as flea markets across the pond), it seems I'm limited to: - eBay, which is invariably limited to low-end kit selling for top dollar. I don't really want...
  16. H

80s Marantz - Newbie refurbishing help please

Hi folks, Long time reader, first time poster in this great forum! I've acquired a Marantz PM151 amplifier from a car boot sale / flea market for the princely sum of £3. I know it's not a patch on the 'proper' vintage stuff but to my ears it sounds quite nice and will do a good job at being...
Back
Top Bottom