Search results

1. M

Any experience with Class D amps and impressions?

I have a ClassDAudio SDS 470C 4 channel amp. I only use two channels to power my 4 ohm Monitor Audio Silver 8s. The step up in audio quality from my previous Rotel amps (bridged and in plain stereo) was profound, despite the rotels having a good reputation and big power supply. The SDS470c is...
  2. M

The Official *Technics SL-1200* Owners Club

Hi everyone, finally upgrade my stock 1210 arm to The Wand, have posted on another forum... Figured I would just repost what I wrote there for the benefit of others here. Hi everyone Well as some of you are aware I decided to take others advice and upgrade my stock 1210 tonearm. My choices...
  3. M

Upgrade Path from Pro-Ject Expression III

I would have thought a cartridge upgrade from the blue would be a great step, might be enough to reduce the upgraditis for the mean time until you can afford a bigger step up the turntable food chain. I currently run a denon 301mk2 MC on a technics 1210. Its awesome for the price! If you like...
  4. M

Kef 50th Anniversary LS-50. Cutting edge for a small room.

Herard these a couple of weeks back, pretty great for their size (and the source content which was mainly vocal through to light rock - ala dire straits etc). I really liked them to be honest and they will at this point be my next upgrade after my tonearm. I definitely feel like I will want a...
  5. M

Help with Selecting a good Phono Cartridge! Under 500.00 Please

Another option is a Denon 301mk2 - which is what I have currently on my 1210... It sounds excellent but is a low output moving coil which means you will need either a decent phono stage with MC function to use or a step up transformer that can be found relatively cheaply. Nicely detailed, great...
  6. M

DesignBuildListen The Wand Tonearm

Awesome, have been in touch with the guy at designbuildlisten, looks like I will be purchasing in the next month or less!!! Now thinking about doing some lp recordings with the 1210 stock tonearm and then again with the wand when it is set up... now just need to figure out the easiest way to do it.
  7. M

DesignBuildListen The Wand Tonearm

sorry about the late bump on this but how is that tonearm going now after a few months? I am planning on getting a 9 inch "the wand" in the next month to put onto my Technics 1210, so would love to hear more about it. Lucky for me designbuildlisten is a local store!
  8. M

Tell Me the Good And the Bad About Quad Amplification

I currently have a 99 pre (got a great price on it second hand). It is really neutral (alot more so than the rotel pre I had prior to it). At times it makes me think that perhaps it is not as engaging due to the lack of oomph the rotel had, but then I think about the extra stuff I can hear from...
  9. M

Please help me pick a cartridge for SL1200mk2!

If you can step up price wise the denon 301mk2 is fantastic on the 1200 arm, very neutral and wide frequency response. Tracks anything never has any IGD and has beautiful and controlled deep bass. Sounds amazing on anything I have thrown at it so far! Thoroughly recommended especially with the...
  10. M

Are all high endish or boutique sales ppl snobs?

Funny I had a pretty similar experience in a hifi shop in NZ the other day. It all started with the salesman asking me what kind of turntable I had. I responded with a Technics 1210 and he proceeded to write my deck off. Then when he asked what kind of cartridge i had he totally changed his...
  11. M

A Jazz Awakening

Also to add to my post although I really like Miles im not overly sold on Kinda Blue, prefer Bitches Brew, In a Silent Way and Sketches of Spain. Maybe I need to spend more time with Kinda Blue but to me it sounds too much like boring Jazz (not trying to offend anyone with that statement, just...
  12. M

A Jazz Awakening

It took me a long time to get into Jazz. My step father was always big into dixieland style and to be honest it always seemed very old, bland and white. The I heard Bitches Brew... that changed my whole perception. Then after a great evening of eating, drinking etc I was sitting outside with one...
  13. M

SPIN-CLEAN troubles help please

I just follow the directions provided by SC... use the exact amount of only SC fluid and then dry (fairly rigourously) in a clockwise motion using the supplied SC towels, though when they become wet I do use microfibre towels. I find the SC supplied towels to do a better job than microfibre...
  14. M

Just received “Miles Davis – Kind of Blue” 180g vinyl reissue for Christmas… but ther

Maybe try to get the new reissue from MOV of Kind of Blue that came out for RSD Black Friday? Hear thats great if you can find a copy...
  15. M

Vinyl Flat is in the House!

just be careful you watch your times and DONT get complacent with it! I cooked a talking heads record when I forgot it was on! I reckon the best bet is to use a cheap timer so you dont accidentally forget about it (as 2 - 3 hours is a long time). But yeah mine has worked great on all but that...
  16. M

digital stylus force gauge

Ive read that if your using a moving coil cartridge that the magnets in the cartridge draw the cartridge heavily to the scale... which could wreck the cartridge. I have a denon 301mk2, would one of the scales mentioned above with a stainless steel platter have a magnetic affect?
  17. M

The Value of the Preamplifier

I think most active preamps make a really big difference to the overall character of the sound.when I changed from my rotel to the quad 99 pre I noticed the overall sound was much more neutral and not driven which was a good way to describe the rotel. The rotel had a huge sound almost like it...
  18. M

Original or Remastered albums?

please delete this post, daughter got carried away with my keyboard mid post!
  19. M

The Official *Technics SL-1200* Owners Club

Hey Stocky. Well when I get the cash together Im just going to buy one direct from the dude at designbuildlisten. Think I will need to pay a bit more for a suitable armboard as well, but shouldnt be too much total. Then will just install it myself, as apparently its fairly straightforward.
  20. M

Anyone watch Suits ?

Also agree the speakers look more like Klipsch than Kef. Maybe the rb51?
  21. M

Anyone watch Suits ?

Love this show, totally agree on the system, the turntables look badass. Shame they don't focus more on his musical taste, though in recent episodes they have explored it a little.
  22. M

Need help picking out a cartridge for a SL-1200Mk2

I vote for a denon 301mk2 if you have moving coil capacity. I use on on my 1200 and it's a great compliance match. Beautiful neutral sound and big bottom end if your speakers can handle it. It plays nicely with all types of music from house to rock and jazz to reggae... cheap from comet supply...
  23. M

Cartridge too close to record?

With my 1200 I noticed something very similar. A member here told me to disregard the tonearm relative to the record and instead ensure the cartridge is parallel to the record as this is what manufacturers are using. The 1200 tonearm never looks parallel with fairly thick cartridges as well...
  24. M

Record Store Day Black Friday

Hopefully NZ gets some copies of the Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds live album, would love to have that but it is not listed as a worldwide release unfortunately...
Back
Top Bottom