Search results

1. jessearias

Installing IEC connectors on older equipment

Thank you for all the good answers. The grounding issue was my main concern. The Haffler amps in question have enough room to install the IEC connectors with no problem The power cords need to be replaced , so my thought was to bring them up to the current industry standard of IEC electrical...
  2. jessearias

Installing IEC connectors on older equipment

I want to install IEC connectors on my older audio equipment so I can use better power cords. Questions: 1. Does somebody make an IEC knockout punch to punch the hole or do I have to use a round knockout punch (like a Greenlee) and just do some filing to shape it out? 2. The ground wire...
  3. jessearias

Good stereo repair shop in Madison, WI

I have been trying to get hold of Bill at his home shop but, I get a constant busy signal. Not sure what the deal is with that. Maybe I should just stop by and see if he is in his garage shop.
  4. jessearias

Sound Classic is out. I have used them in the past and I was not impressed with their service. I have also read other members less than satisfactory reviews. But some members have gotten good service there. I will check out Team and Full Compass and see how they are. Bill at Quality Electronics...
  5. jessearias

Does anyone know a good independent stereo repair guy in the Madison, WI area? I cannot get hold of my usual guy Bill in Madison as he may have quit doing repairs. Thanks
  6. jessearias

Best way to steam audio from PC to analog receiver

I run a set up similar to Skizo in my attic system, except I am using a Peachtree Dac-it. Nice DAC for the price ($300) USB from laptop or computer to DAC, Audioquest RCA's to Pre-amp. (or Amp if you have an intergraded amp) Volume level is fixed through USB and you just control sound level...
  7. jessearias

Using an older model pre amp with a new sub

My old pre-amp does not have a dedicated sub output. Can I just split off the right channel main output signal and use that to send the signal to the subwoofer? Or do I have to split off both right and left? The sub does have inputs for both right and left (RCA). This will be sending a full...
  8. jessearias

SAE 2400L channel boards

I have a SAE 2400L with a bad left channel board. So the following questions. 1. Does anybody know where I can find old SAE parts? 2. Are the boards the same in all the L series? (2100L, 2200L, 2400L etc.) Thanks,
  9. jessearias

Cerwin Vega 15T

Set of H15 I have an old set of H15's. The cabinets were in good shape and just needed sanding and refinishing. The drivers were shot so I replaced them with Eminance AT-80 tweeters, Selenium midrange and Dayton woofers. Got rid of the rear firing tweeter and got rid of the second front...
  10. jessearias

Using a main out to drive a sub

My old pre-amp does not have a dedicated sub output. Can I use one of the main outs to drive the sub? I realize the main outputs are full range, but the sub has a built in crossover to strip off the low frequencies. My idea was to split the right main output and use one to drive the sub...
  11. jessearias

Speaker Effeciency and amp power

HOW DO YOU MEASURE SPEAKER EFFECIENCY? I have franken-speakered a set of Klipsch Heresy's with all new drivers. The individual driver efficiencies are as follows at 1 watt: woofer 97db, tweeter 108db, midrange 109db. To get the overall efficiency, Is it as simple as adding up all three driver...
  12. jessearias

PC hum in receivers

Need a DAC I tried hooking up my Laptop to the stereo at work via my speaker output with a set of cables that converted it into RCA for the stereo. I had the same problems as you. But I also had some hiss and static as well. I agree with Catrafter and Skizo that you need a DAC. I have used...
  13. jessearias

Who else is drawn to their lesser systems?

I like my frakensystem I just love how members re-purpose their old equipment. :yes::D:thmbsp::music: My old stuff also goes to the garage. Being my garage is a working hot rod shop, the real good old stuff does not go out there because of all the dust and debris from working on the cars. But...
  14. jessearias

CV VE12's with Mirage Omnisat?

re-purposed CV As you noted, the CV's excel in the bass department, but are so-so in the midrange and high frequencies. If speaker size is not an issue, you could always modify the CV's. The woofer section is fine, you just need a better mid and tweeter. I used a Selenium horn and DX 250...
  15. jessearias

What have you owned the longest?

SAE and Cerwin Vega I still have a lot of old SAE gear, but my A205 amp is probably the oldest piece of equipment. :yes: As far a speakers, I still have my set of CV H15's. They have been rebuilt and modified, so not technically H15's anymore, but still around.:sigh:
  16. jessearias

Crites speaks out on capacitors

Tom, You are absolutely correct that cabinet bracing does not directly lower F3, but reducing unwanted resonances due to cabinet flex, has an impact on bass delivery. (maybe just a small one, but an effect depending on overall cabinet flex) Proper cabinet sealing has an effect as well. (again...
  17. jessearias

How to get a DAC working with my cable box

Another way My cable provider does not provide a means to extract sound from the box as well, so here is how I rigged it. The cable feed goes strait to the TV (Panasonic). I tap out the sound from the TV's optical output and feed it into the DAC in my P5. To receive sound from my DVD...
  18. jessearias

Preamp/Power Amp vs Integrated

seperates vs intergrated I agree with everyone that separates offer the best design and performance. A receiver is a poor mans performance option. The best compromise would be a high quality integrated amp and a tuner. There are may high quality integrated amp out there. As mentioned...
  19. jessearias

Crites speaks out on capacitors

I agree I agree with everything he says about capacitors and their uses. The only thing I disagree with to some extent, is the inability to increase the bass response in a Heresy. He is absolutely correct that the size of the cabinet has a direct response on the bass, but you can do some...
  20. jessearias

Warm, relaxed, and/or dark speakers?

Klipsch, Cizek I would say Klipsch's in general are warm, some may say a bit bright, depending on the model. A really nice warm sounding speaker are Cizek's. Nice and smooth with the Peerless tweeters.
  21. jessearias

The best money you spent on audio?

Speakers The best money ever spent is on speakers. My original Cerwin Vegas were ok for playing rock music back in the day, but when my musical tastes became more refined, the old CV's just couldn't cut it. Enter Mr. Klipsch, and my ears were happy. But soon, my ears were demanding more. Enter...
  22. jessearias

Line conditioner recommendations....

PI Audio A nice power conditioner for the price is the PI Audio UberBuss. From a bang for the buck prospective, you cannot beat it. High quality Pass and Seymour receptacles, neutral sounding and the optional Mongo power cord is very high quality. PS: Nice set-up!:thmbsp:
  23. jessearias

Alternative to Pandora One

Call me a cheapo I purchased an inexpensive HP laptop ($500), added some more memory to it (8GB-$75), and run it through a DAC to stream jazz from stations all over the country. Yes, not the same as Pandora or Spotify, but it works very well. Aside from the initial investment, it costs me...
  24. jessearias

Given that "Sound" is subjective why are some Amps universally accepted accepted?

Depends on the time period I think it may depend on the time period. Haffler DH500's were "the sound" in their time, Same for Adcom 555's, Marantz's, Pioneers etc. In the tube world, old Macs, Marantz's and such were "the sound" in their days. Now this is not to say that some of these...
  25. jessearias

What's your latest audio purchase?

Parasound HALO gear Latest purchases are a Parasound Halo A21 amp and a Halo P5 Pre-amp. :music::D
Back
Top Bottom