Search results

1. grantly

Barnes and Noble 50% of Selected Vinyl

You had a typo of “Bend” instead of “Ben” which I assume was the basis of the cover band joke.
  2. grantly

Schiit Turntable: the giant-slayer that slays giants and schiit

Hmmmm...I just went to Schiit’s site. It’s still not for sale/on hiatus from what I can see. There’s only an option to receive updates.
  3. grantly

What is the BEST Class D, TPA, TDA chip amp available?

I know! I even saw your post and visited the parts express link, but I waited a day or two...and then it was gone. My own fault. :whip:
  4. grantly

What is the BEST Class D, TPA, TDA chip amp available?

I stupidly waited and missed out on the fire sale of the FX252A. Sounds like a nice little amp for a very low price. The value of that 252A bundle with the power supply, from what I've read, is incredible.
  5. grantly

Appropriate hex nut for Black Widow azimuth screw?

Well, over a year later, I’m happy to report that the thread size is M2 and there are nylon hex nuts available from various sites. Just FYI.
  6. grantly

Great experience with Sound Hound!

I had a fantastic transaction with @sound hound He paid immediately and we’re both happy. Another great AK experience!
  7. grantly

Classic Carl is a pleasure to do business with!

I had a great transaction with @classic carl He’s communicative and paid quickly! Thanks again @classic carl for another great AK experience!
  8. grantly

LectroLinear = Fantastic Seller!

I bought some tubes from @LectroLinear and they arrived quickly and sound great! I’m a happy camper, and he’s communicative and ships quickly.
  9. grantly

Johnnief is a great AK-er!

@Johnnief and I had a smooth deal. We were able to arrange a time to meet up and for him to pick my Pioneer receiver. He is communicative and follows through on what he says! He's great to do business with!
  10. grantly

Shure/Jico question

Unfortunately, I don’t have personal experience in my systems with a V15. I’ve only heard a V15 type III (I think) at a friend’s house. it was really nice, but I don’t remember it well enough to give you a good comparison of the differences. It was on a different ‘table with a different ‘arm and...
  11. grantly

Shure/Jico question

I have an M91ED with a Jico SAS. It tracks extremely well at about 1.25 or 1.3 grams. One of the best tracking carts I have, at least on medium and light mass arms. I will say that the SAS does slightly change the tonal character of the cartridge. It adds a bit more liveliness to it, and the...
  12. grantly

Has anyone bought a Technics SL-1200 MK7?

While the issues you mention may be problematic for traveling DJs, they would not be a problem in normal home use for listening to music. On a different note, I actually like the visuals on the MK7. The black deck and the black ‘arm look super slick to me. With the red led selected, it has a...
  13. grantly

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

I'm really looking forward to this. Thanks for sharing the update, PG.
  14. grantly

Great cartridges for rock music -$400-$1200

I’ve never had a cart pass the 18db torture track without distortion. I find that if a cart can pass the track before it at 16db without distortion, it will track pretty much any real world songs perfectly fine.
  15. grantly

Wrecked my first stylus

That’s the worst. I feel as if it’s some sort of painful rite of passage to ruin a stylus at some point in this hobby. Of course, I’m sure many have never experienced that sinking feeling when you realized you just broke something $$$$ with one seemingly small mistake, and I envy those who...
  16. grantly

Mini class d, tripath amps

There is a massive thread—and I mean MASSIVE—covering this very topic, but it mainly focuses on the TPA3116 based amps. The thread began in 2014 and is still active. Check it out: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/tpa-3116-vs-the-tripaths.574806/
  17. grantly

New Tube Preamp - China - 12AX7

You would connect the Zero Zone 12ax7 (the tube pre) into the AUX or or Tape In of the Fisher...definitely NOT into the phono jacks. Also, the Zero Zone 12ax7 preamp does not have phono inputs, so you would need a separate phono preamp in the chain before the tube preamp if you want to run a...
  18. grantly

And...yet another sx-780 restoration thread

Thank you for the link. I’ll get through Echowars post and I’ll read through the other link you sent. This is all extremely helpful.
  19. grantly

Ok - I double checked pin 1 and 0 of the left STK. Pin 1 is -1.39 vdc and Pin 0 is 1.04 vdc. Also, I have to admit my ignorance here...when you say to test these, am I simply checking resistance without power to the unit? I can figure out whether they're PNP or NPN, but do I need to remove the...
  20. grantly

Got it. Thanks again for your help. I’ll double check the polarity either tonight or tomorrow at some point. I’ll check the transistors as well then.
  21. grantly

Solder on Q19, Q20, and Q25 has been reflowed.
  22. grantly

Ok - I checked voltages on the STK pins 9 and 2 and they measured correctly. + c314 and - c315 were the same vdc as listed above give or take 0.1 or 0.2 vdc. However, STK pin 1 was correct at 1.4, but STK pin 0 was only at 1.0 vdc, not 1.4.
  23. grantly

This is super helpful. I’ll plan on taking these measurements in the next day or so.
  24. grantly

Thanks! I appreciate the encouragement. I have a fine soldering station and I can use a DMM, so I’m set there. I’ll be asking questions if I’m stumped, but any pointers are appreciated.
  25. grantly

Hi all, I went to an estate sale yesterday on a whim, and I was one of the first few people in the house. There was an incredible Barzilay cabinet with KLH 6s in custom cabinets. Way too much $$$ for me, so I decided to go to the basement. Right at the front was a cosmetically pristine sx-780...
Back
Top Bottom