Search results

1. JoeESP9

What are your thoughts on Audyssey?

You are missing my point. The term HiFi is a shortening of the term, "to reproduce with a high degree of fidelity". Do you want that? Or do you just want to please your own personal taste which may have very little to do with reality. I know that for many, HiFi reproduction is not really their...
  2. JoeESP9

Perhaps we have different goals. :) Why would you want flatter in room response for movies but not for music? :dunno: IMO/E having a flatter in room response usually results in less tweaking of tone controls and equalizer. I guess we differ on when and how to correct for biological...
  3. JoeESP9

Bad Chinese translations make the world go round

I'm aware that the original Coca Cola formula included Coca leaves with the Cocaine still in them. That's why they called it, "The Drink That Gives You A Lift". I guess you're not aware that Coca Cola still uses Coca leaves to make the syrup. The caveat is, they remove the Cocaine from the...
  4. JoeESP9

Roku locking Roku TV's unless their new TOS are agreed to.

I have two Roku Express boxes. It was necessary to agree on only one box.
  5. JoeESP9

All Anti-skating mechanisms are wrong!

I also use a blank LP side to adjust and set anti-skating. Where I differ with many is, I set skating so that the arm moves slowly away from the spindle. I do this because I realize that tracking a groove increases whatever skating is inherent in the arm.
  6. JoeESP9

My favorite is Troegs Sunshine Pilsner. It and the Yeungling are IMO as good as Pilsner Urquell while tasting slightly different.
  7. JoeESP9

I bought a twelve pack of Yuengling Golden Pilsner for $17 on Friday. :thumbsup:
  8. JoeESP9

tried HT speakers on my HiFi...somewhat surprised.

IMO/E, there are only two types of speakers. There are those you like and those you don't like. IME speakers labeled as HT speakers tend to be in the second group. A good speaker should perform equally well regardless of the source material.
  9. JoeESP9

CONSIDERING MAGNAPAN MG-1.5 QR

The crossovers on my 1.7's do not easily lend themselves to bi-amping. However, I use an electronic crossover to remove low frequencies from the feed to them. Everything from ~70Hz down goes to my 12" DIY TL subs which are driven by a pair of bridged Crown XLS-2002's. The result is my 1.7's play...
  10. JoeESP9

My experience does not mirror yours. My experience has been that auto equalization has always resulted in better sound. I have been using an equalizer of one type or another for room Eq since the late 1970's early 1980's and currently use a 12BPC DSP which is adjusted and set with measurements...
  11. JoeESP9

Does anyone here use PC Equalizer?

The equalizers in the music player programs I mentioned are basic linear equalizers. They work exactly like the 10, 12, 31 band linear equalizers everyone is familiar with. Any of the players are superior to WMP. There are also other sound modifying add-ons for many players.
  12. JoeESP9

A few DAC questions...

All of my CD's have been ripped to an NAS as FLAC files. A laptop connected to an external DAC is used for streaming from my locally stored files and various network services. A physical CD is played only once. I rip them immediately. I keep them stored away in boxes. One would think I have no...
  13. JoeESP9

Does anyone here use PC Equalizer?

I have and use a 12BPC DSP. It's adjusted and set using measurements. Once set the only time it's changed is for new/different gear or a change of furniture. I stream from locally stored FLAC's from my CD collection using Music Bee, a laptop and a USB DAC. Other streaming sites such as Radio...
  14. JoeESP9

analog vs digital

Are those clipped sine waves in your avatar? :idea:
  15. JoeESP9

The local Dollar General frequently has Mexican Coca Cola. It the only Coke in the world that adheres to the original formula using cane sugar. IMO it does not taste the same as the high fructose versions. As for diet soda, all of it tastes awful.
  16. JoeESP9

Oscilloscope 2 channel with signal generator recommendations

You have an open Radio Shack store in your area?! I thought they were all gone. :)
  17. JoeESP9

Share your head fi system.

Although I like the sound of my ten yo Grado SR-100's the stock cushions felt like sandpaper on my ears. Some Ear Zonk replacements made them comfortable as well as sounding good.
  18. JoeESP9

just got here, and already askin stuff....

I've heard lots of CV speakers over the years. The XLS series are the first CV's I can listen to without getting instant ear fatigue. :thumbsup:
  19. JoeESP9

SUB LFE input

Please list the manufacturer and model number of the sub. Also, a picture of the sub's amplifier would be helpful. A sub with no volume/level control is most likely dedicated for use with specific gear.
  20. JoeESP9

Turntable help.

Are you using the TT's onboard phono preamp? Never mind. @xrayspex77 beat me to it. :)
  21. JoeESP9

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

I Love the Album cover. It makes me think of Hugo Gernsback's, Ralph 124C41+ and Amazing Stories. I may buy the LP just for the cover. :thumbsup: AFAIK I've never heard any of the music. The album cover alone is sufficient reason for me to buy it. :)
  22. JoeESP9

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

I love it. How could you not love three spark coils. :rflmao: If you have a manual transmission your automobile is less likely to be stolen. Most younger people can't drive a stick.
  23. JoeESP9

Does it work without sound card but DAC installed?

That would be a big fat no! Using an external USB sound device does not require an onboard sound card. Depending on the PC and OS version it may require installing the drivers for the USB device. The choice of music player software and how it's configured makes a difference. Most of them...
  24. JoeESP9

Can't Find 100W Incandescent Bulbs?

A couple of months ago I found 100-watt equivalent LED bulbs at Dollar Tree for $1.25 each. I bought ten. I've only used one so far as a replacement for a CFL bulb that died after 5+ years of use. If the LED bulbs last half as long, I'll consider it a win because of the lower cost for use. The...
  25. JoeESP9

Help! NAD receiver only decodes at 2 channels

I have two Roku's, one in my bedroom and the other in my "system". The bedroom and system ones are connected to a Yamaha AVR (bedroom) and an Emotiva processor (system). Both are connected using HDMI. The only connection to my TV's are HDMI from the receiver (bedroom) and processor (system)...
Back
Top Bottom