Search results

1. SteveJewels

Why vinyl is better

2. SteveJewels

A tale of two platters. Does the platter, matter?

I built a turntable, known as the 100 pounder, although it weighs more like 120. The platter and bearing assembly was from, I think a VPI TNT 5. The platter has an aluminum bottom, is filled with lead and a black acrylic top and weighs 22.44 lbs. It fits the description of a platter from a TNT 5...
  3. SteveJewels

Jack Kerouac's stereo

Yesterday I visited the home where Jack Kerouac lived. In addition to being the last home of the famous author, it is like a time capsule from the '60's. The furnishings from 1969 when Jack died is there. I snapped a pic of his stereo, a wonderful Magnavox console I thought may be of interest...
  4. SteveJewels

Marantz 2235B

I found a 2235B in good survivor condition. Looking for valuation. The seller describes it as all functions working properly, good sound through both channels. Thanks!
  5. SteveJewels

Adcom GFP 555 and 565 prices

A friend of mine has had one of my GFP 565's on 'trial' for three years. About a year ago he asked about the price and I told him what the prices were on eBay at the time. He pleaded poor but he drives a $75,000 full sized, fully loaded, luxobarge diesel truck with racks for his kayaks (plural)...
  6. SteveJewels

Recommendations for powered studio monitors

This seems like the best place to post this. Hopefully it will find some people with studio experience. Presently I am using JBL 4412A's on stands powered by a Bryston 4B SST and a Mytek Brooklyn DAC + as a pre and DAC. I am thinking about getting some powered studio monitors (speakers I can...
  7. SteveJewels

Pony Express request, Boston

Hello, I hope you are well. There are a pair of speakers in the Boston area I would like to have but the sellers lists them as local pick only. I am looking for someone to pick them up and make sure they are adequately boxed, not sure if they have boxes. I will send you FedEx labels for...
  8. SteveJewels

mconnect type ap for Win

I am using mconnect on my phone and Onkyo DP-X1a. I will soon be getting a Microsoft Surface GO 2. Is there a Windows based program similar to mconnect? Thanks!
  9. SteveJewels

Marantz 140?

A Marantz 140 is available and I am tempted. All out of spec components were replaced, inside cleaned, deoxed and calibrated. Also upgraded to led lights. What is is worth?
  10. SteveJewels

Magnaplanar Tympani IVa Bohlender & Grabener RD75 merge

I have a pair of Tympani IVa's. They look like this; They are awesome speakers. I have been a fan of Magnaplaners since I first heard Tympani III's. I was amazed at the clarity of presentation. Once I heard them I was spoiled. Every time I listen to 'box' speakers I can hear the box. It is...
  11. SteveJewels

Music posters for listening room

Where is a good place to find music related art/posters? Bands, concerts, music themed things? eBay of course but I am looking for other sources of art to decorate my new listening room. Thanks!!!
  12. SteveJewels

Listening room seating recommendations please

I am putting together a dedicated listening room. As such it seems as though home theater style seating would be appropriate. I am looking for recommendations for seating that is reasonably well built and not unreasonably priced. I prefer leather with cup holder armrests, 4 sitting positions of...
  13. SteveJewels

Amplifier base

I finally have a place to setup my system. At present the Pass Labs X-250.5 and XP-20 are sitting on the carpet. (Actually sliders.) I am looking for information on bases and would appreciate discussion on the attributes of different bases\materials and recommendations. Thanks!
  14. SteveJewels

DSD versions of Steely Dan

Where can I find DSD versions of Steely Dan albums, Gaucho, Aja, Royal Scam, Can't Buy a Thrill, Countdown to Ecstasy, Pretzel Logic etc?
  15. SteveJewels

Arctic Cable review, kind of

I have been debating for quite a while getting a new cable for my headphones. I am neither in the camp that is 100% in on cables being as important as every other component nor in the it is all snake oil camp. I think there is a huge amount of snake oil in the cable business but also that there...
  16. SteveJewels

Axpona do over

It occurred to me in February that the Axpona was coming up before too long and I was likely to still be marooned in Rockford. I bought a ticket and looked for a hotel. The host hotel, the Renaissance Schaumberg was sold out but I found a room at the nearby Residence Inn that had a shuttle. Oh...
  17. SteveJewels

Help evaluating a Pass Labs XP-20, Chicagoland\Milwaukee\Madison area

I recently purchased a Pass Labs XP-20 and have no way to evaluate it as my system is in storage. I am looking for someone that has a suitable system into which I can insert the XP-20 and determine if all the functions are operating and if it is up to par. Sundays would be the only day I would...
  18. SteveJewels

Extraneous sounds

Because I am on an extended work assignment I have been limited to headphones or earbuds for a while now. One curious side effect is that I am hearing extraneous sounds in recordings. A month or so ago I heard some ticks in a recording of Guinevere by Crosby, Stills and Nash on Tidal, the MQA...
  19. SteveJewels

Melbourne Australia Pony Express request

Ok, so not the usual PE request as in pick them up here and deliver them there. LOL I wish to buy a pair of speakers that are in Melbourne, actually Templestowe 3106. The seller does not want to be involved in shipping them to the US. I am looking for an AK'er to pick them up, pack them...
  20. SteveJewels

What am I hearing?

I was listening to Guinevere by Crosby, Stills and Nash on Tidal, the MQA version. At 3:54, just after "We shall be free" there is no music and no singing for a few seconds but I swear I can hear something in the background. It is in the left channel only. It sounds like a clock or watch...
  21. SteveJewels

PE request, Eastern Long Island to Philadelphia

I am looking to purchase a pair of Magneplanar speakers. They are located in eastern Long Island. I need to get them to the West Chester/Philadelphia area. They don't need to move right away, months actually, but I need to lock down the deal. I would gladly pay reasonable compensation. Keep in...
  22. SteveJewels

AXPONA tix

I am planning on going to the AXPONA show in Chicago April 12 - 14. I am on a mission to get some Magnepan speakers and would like to listen to 20.7's before I pull the trigger on 3.7/3.7i's with DWM panels. I'm looking for a coupon or discount on a Gold pass. If this turns into a "Who's going...
  23. SteveJewels

Diaphragm for 052 Ti

I am looking for a diaphragm for an 052 Ti. I bought a pair of 4412a's a few weeks ago and when I pulled to grills off, the diaphragm of one of the 052 Ti's was pushed in. The seller made a proper refund and I purchased two used 052 Ti's so I am good there but I would like to either replace...
  24. SteveJewels

Pony Express offer

I will be traveling from Rockford IL to Dayton OH in the next few weeks and then returning two or three weeks later. Please contact me PM or better yet, email.
  25. SteveJewels

Pony Express request, pickup in Brooklyn

There are a pair of speakers, JBL 4412, in tBrooklyn that really need to be in Rockford IL. Chicago would be close enough. They are the typical 2cf size enclosures. The seller is not inclined to ship these so my request is a much for someone to pick them up as it is to transport them to IL. I...
Back
Top Bottom