Search results

1. BECtoo

Adding weight to passive radiators...feedback

Some of you may be interested in a bit of technical info on passive radiators. This is from Jerry McNutt an Eminence Engineer who designs things like this for a living. I don't think he would mind me quoting him here. "A passive radiator works just like a port. The ID of the “port” is the...
  2. BECtoo

Are KG 1.2 and KG 1.5 Crossovers interchangeable?

Crossovers for the KG1.2 and KG1.5 are the same. Bob Crites
  3. BECtoo

KG4 tweeter issue

If continuous high power was the problem the light bulb would protect adequately. But, what takes out tweeters most often is the very quick transients. A fuse has no chance operating fast enough to prevent that. Same goes for the bulb, it has significant delay while it heats up to increase...
  4. BECtoo

KG4 tweeter issue

The polyswitch tweeter protection was not in the earliest KG-4s. It got added after Klipsch had to replace large numbers of tweeters under warranty. After that polyswitch was added warranty repairs were greatly decreased.
  5. BECtoo

Road trip score! CWO mint Cornwalls!

The Cornwalls are from 1975. Those are the original caps. Klipsch used those in some crossovers. Some of the worst caps they ever used in my opinion. Bob Crites
  6. BECtoo

A little help please on label

That is what is known as the Pie Slice logo. Just means that is the one that would be on some about that age. Not sure what year, but on some of those the grill does not come off. The fabric is just wrapped around the motor board. So, it is possible you can't remove a grill to see the horns...
  7. BECtoo

The IIs have all horns and woofer mounted from the front (because the back is not removable). The 1s have everything mounted from the inside (backs are removable).
  8. BECtoo

They are Cornwall 1s. I am not sure on the serial number but if that is an " N", they would have been built in 1975. The first of the Cornwall IIs were built in 1985. Also, the back comes off of the Cornwall 1 but does not come off the Cornwall II. Now to confuse this a bit, there were some...
  9. BECtoo

Identifying an "AL" Crossover

I guess your speakers are Lascalas. AL is a Lascala crossover. Those should not have any crossover parts inside the bass bin. The Klipschorn would have the AK crossovers and those are split into tweeter and squawker on the board on top and the woofer crossover components are inside the bass...
  10. BECtoo

Identifying an "AL" Crossover

Looks like an AL with a factory mod to add zener diodes for tweeter protection instead of the standard polyswitch. These were found in the "professional" model Lascala. On yours, looks like the large oil filled capacitor near the center of the picture has started to leak oil.
  11. BECtoo

I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas morning...

Moray, Nothing you said in that post applies to his 2 inch bolt on drivers. Bob Crites
  12. BECtoo

Forte x-overs

When you removed the crossover, you should have left the wires soldered to the crossover. You could have just unplugged the wires from the drivers and removed the crossovers with all wires still attached.
  13. BECtoo

Rope caulk

Just tighten up the screws holding the horn to the motorboard and resist the temptation to put any of that nasty stuff on your horns. Never heard one resonate if it was bolted down good. Now I did have to add a thicker gasket once to eliminate the problem, but that is unusual. Bob Crites
  14. BECtoo

What is KLF-30 midrange horn impedence?

The midrange is considered to be a 16 ohm. Measured DCR would be around 10 to 11 ohms. The autotransformer doubles the impedance of the midrange twice, so it performs like a 64 ohm driver. Bob Crites
  15. BECtoo

Cornscalas. How good are they?

There are big speakers...Jubilee, MCM, KPT600, and such and there are little speakers.... Khorn, Lascala, Cornwall, Cornscala and such. You do get something really special from the big speakers that the little speakers just don't have a chance of doing.
  16. BECtoo

Chorus II - Recapping Question

I like to remind people occasionally that Eminence, the largest speaker builder in the US, recommends against adding weight to a passive radiator. One of the first considerations they have when they make a passive radiator is the maximum amount of mass the radiator has. That determines the...
  17. BECtoo

Mounting Air-Core Inductors

You can use stainless steel screws to hold the air core inductors down. They are easier to find than brass. Just check the screws with a magnet. If the magnet will not pick them up, they are good to use.
  18. BECtoo

K400 grinding/ reaming throat +gasket ID" cutting experiences

The K-401 is still used in these top of the line pro speakers. http://www.hps4000.com/pages/speak_index_.html
  19. BECtoo

Question about bass extension

The mighty Klipsch KP600 stack uses a subwoofer for the bottom box of the stack. Sounds wonderful.
  20. BECtoo

4Ω KG4's?

Correct answer!
  21. BECtoo

HII Questions

Yeah, we affectionately refer to that crossover as the POP (Pile of Parts) crossovers. The early Forte 1s used that method also. A real pain to rebuild compared to the ones on the circuit boards. And both of those types are a pain to rebuild compared to the Klipsch crossovers on wooden...
  22. BECtoo

HII Questions

The midrange driver will come out of the cabinet. You just have to find exactly the right positioning and angle to get it out. They put it in through that hole originally at the factory, so it has to come back out. Bob Crites
  23. BECtoo

Preliminary troubleshooting help for Klipsch KG4 horn / crossover

Swap the two horns with their drivers from one KG-4 to the other one. That should quickly let you know for sure if that is the problem. If so, you need a new diaphragm. Bob Crites
  24. BECtoo

LaScalas

Here is what Paul Klipsch told Bruce Edgar about the Lascala in an interview for "Speaker Builder" magazine. Bob Crites
  25. BECtoo

kg 2.5 tweeters

If your tweeters are not working, you do not need new drivers, just a pair of new diaphragms. Bob Crites
Back
Top Bottom