Search results

1. goldleaf

Anyone else using 6n6c output tubes?

yes. nice and plentiful.
  2. goldleaf

TUBE BURN IN TIMES?

Interesting. Anecdotal experience is that once a tube is suitably warm, how long it has been used makes little difference unless it is worn out. At least to my ears with quality tubes.
  3. goldleaf

Used tube sockets, salvage or scrap?

Salvage
  4. goldleaf

C3M 300B SET - Update

Thank you! Still have some 6C33C matched tubes (8 of them) burning a hole in my brain :-), and many other goodies. A preamp maybe?
  5. goldleaf

C3M 300B SET - Update

Hi Friends, Back after a long hiatus (to deal with personal/family stuff). Life goes on, so I'm baaaack ;-> Missed y'all! Restarted where I left off. All my parts are safe and sound... many tubes, transformers and all sorts of goodies. Allan and I are restarting the c3m project Even saw...
  6. goldleaf

Want DIY 845 Single Ended Circuits

Curious: what made you pick the 845? It is not a tube used much these days. Nothing against it, just want to understand what led you there. Cheers.
  7. goldleaf

Anyone else have a love/hate affair with Foobar?

I accept its ugliness since it works. You can always switch to JRiver if you want pretty.
  8. goldleaf

Help a Tube Newb

You've gotten some sound advice ( :)) already. Having been down this path in the recent past myself, my 2 cents of advice is to audition as many amps as you can before buying. Visiting other AK members in your area can save you a lot of wasted motion and help narrow your choices.
  9. goldleaf

How many stereo setups do you own?

I have 8, plus many extras but i like variety so I rotate them in and out when I desire a different sonic experience. Audio for me is about noticing the nuances and the music and no one system is good at everything. Usually 3 are up at any one time.
  10. goldleaf

There is a new Radio Shack

Agreed. But they have to sell some of its retail space, redo the franchising deals and go toe-to-toe with the online retailers. Sometimes, not often, it makes more sense to sell the assets because the beast is worth more as meat than on the hoof. Sad but true. Ask any farmer.
  11. goldleaf

300B SET Schematic Suggestions for Sophia OPTs

Hi Tink' - I've settled on the c3m-300b design. Allan is working on the parts list. We are also doing a McShane Citation II clone for KT120's. We'll decide on the other 2 after these are done which should take a while. Took some time to get the parts and expertise to get here but you all have...
  12. goldleaf

How many of you guys use an isolation transformer during repairs?

Good point. And fairly cheap http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-TLM812GF-8-Outlet-Housing/dp/B000WJ7R4G
  13. goldleaf

Yes it is. Nothing too shabby. Along with IBM, Dupont and some others that have bucked the trend... :tresbon:
  14. goldleaf

I should point out that I own both a Hammond Isolation transformer and a Staco variac. If you are working with old chassis with no power transformer, by all means, you need isolation. Same with some instruments. The variac reference is for safety (as in, the smoke test, things blowing, etc). If...
  15. goldleaf

Historically, few companies make it to see their 50th birthday. There's always someone waiting to eat your lunch once you get too big.
  16. goldleaf

I wonder when the mods are going to control Zandru's personal attacks. Not interested in childish behavior, Zandru.
  17. goldleaf

Another vote for variacs
  18. goldleaf

As We Slowly Die Out

It's not dying, it is transforming. Much more equipment out there is being sold direct or via internet stores. The main thing I miss is being able to audition stuff easily. Otherwise, can't really complain about what is on sale in the market worldwide. 2 cents, of course.
  19. goldleaf

Thanks for the schematics guys. Unless I hear something against it, I think I am going to try that route and see how it goes. Any other places to look at?
  20. goldleaf

Thanks Mark. I'd love to hear from others on designs using the C3M or other designs that have favorably impressed you. My best SET right now is a 6B4G with Transcendar OPTs so I am looking forward to what this will do with the L780's which are incredibly rich sounding already. I want more...
  21. goldleaf

I think they are 3.5K Mark. Apparently they are good sounding. Allan doesn't want to deal with interstage transformers however (though I do own a couple of nice ones). So I am limited to designs that don't. The C3M sounds really intriguing. I recall reading it works really well from a...
  22. goldleaf

Hi As luck would have it I scored a bunch of c3m and other German Post tubes. That is an interesting alternative as saving the 10Y to use as a liliput output tube may be a better use for them. What C3M-300b schematic would you all recommend?
  23. goldleaf

I was hoping MartinV would comment on his experience... Others?
  24. goldleaf

Hello gang! Been away a while with a move and a business venture. Things are stable, so back to audio it is! Only catch is my new place has less room so some stuff went to storage. AnalogAddict and I have traded for some of his labor and he is going to build some amps for me: a 300b set...
  25. goldleaf

Anyone have a 'pro audio' - based system?

QSC amp and Behringer xover used when needed. Not a believer in pro vs consumer audio divide - "use the right tool for the job" is a good motto.
Back
Top Bottom