Search results

1. S

Schiit Mani - The New $129 MM/MC Phono Stage from Schiit Audio

FWIW, I've heard one person compare it to the Project Phono Box MkII. According to them, the Mani blows it out of the water. The Project box sounds very veiled in comparison.
  2. S

Noise Patterns

Hey all... If I notice a pattern of record noise being worse on the outside and improving as the record plays, could this be a symptom of improper cartridge/stylus alignment? I haven't paid enough attention yet to discern if it's true on all my records, but it has been on the last two I've...
  3. S

Next Upgrade - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

Will do. Thanks for the tip! If I do upgrade, it will be quite a while down the road. My budget for audio gear is minimal. Thanks for looking out...
  4. S

Thanks for the advice, gents, but I opted for the spin clean. Feel free to crucify me for my ignorance and short-sightedness. A year or so from now if I end up buying a record doctor, I'll be sure to come back here and tell you that you were right. :P
  5. S

Yeah, I get that the Record Doctor would be preferred for the vacuum aspect of it. It's not really a question of whether or not it's better, but whether or not it's $120 better. If I'm going to spend $200, I'd be more inclined to get the spin clean and speed box.
  6. S

Thanks! You think the spinclean will give me the greatest audio improvement? Being new to this, I wasn't sure how effective my current cleaning methods were since I've never tried an alternative. So far I've only purchased new LPs (which I realize still need cleaning), so I haven't gotten...
  7. S

Hey all... I'm still fairly new to the TT game...I've had my debut carbon for about 6 months now and am looking to make my first upgrade for it. My current setup is: Debut Carbon-->Pro-Ject Phono Box V USB-->Schiit Asgard or Onkyo Receiver-->DT880 headphones or Pioneer Speakers. I use...
  8. S

Project Carbon Hum (not grounding issue)

I've had no motor issues on mine at all. Worked properly straight out of the box.
  9. S

Dead iPod ... what to replace it with

Android phone with PowerAmp is my preference. Storage is the only downside...can't compete with an ipod classic in that respect. I had an ipod touch, but once I got my smartphone, the ipod went into a drawer and I haven't looked back since.
  10. S

Pro-ject Debut Carbon upgrade questions

Cool, I'm eager to hear your thoughts. What headphones?
  11. S

Pro-ject debut iii or Project carbon?

What were your specific problems with the III?
  12. S

Pro-ject Debut Carbon upgrade questions

Yes, my understanding matches those of the last few posts. The speed box works for any TT that uses a 16 V connection, which the US debuts use. Hope I'm correct, because I plan to order one myself before too long! Semi-related, but are the Speed Box II and the Speed Box S the same thing? The...
  13. S

A very good Headphone review site.

Yep, but even there you have to take all the reviews with a grain of salt. I very much respect those guys for the work they do, but there are times with both of them where I would swear we were listening to completely opposite products.
  14. S

CD labeling - What a pain in the neck

My new printer (Canon PIXMA series) actually has a CD tray where you put the CD inside the printer with the label attached and it prints on top of it. I haven't tried it since I haven't created a CD label since the mid-90s, but it looks like a good idea :D
  15. S

Just use standard RCA cables to connect turntable to amplifier?

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.
  16. S

Just use standard RCA cables to connect turntable to amplifier?

I'm using the original cable for my Carbon and am perfectly happy with it running from the Pro-Ject TT to the Pro-Ject Phono Preamp. However, I'm just using some random cheapies to go from the preamp to the headphone amp or receiver. I may look into using component cables for that instead...
  17. S

Record Cleaning Brush

I use the same. I'm not sure how much ACTUAL difference it makes in terms of noise coming through when you listen. But, I do always notice dust on the brush after I use it, so removing any debris before a listen has to be better than nothing.
  18. S

Pro-ject Debut Carbon or Debut III w/ upgraded cartridge?

Nice pick on the Wharfedales! I'm jealous...
  19. S

Budget Receiver/Amp for 2 channel setup...advice?

Running $280 currently on Amazon. Seems like a nice unit. We'll just have to see if my patience can hold out long enough to save up for it, or if I cave and pick up the cheaper Onkyo next week. My self-control when it comes to saving up and being patient for audio gear is pretty horrific...
  20. S

Pro-ject Debut Carbon or Debut III w/ upgraded cartridge?

Thanks...I was actually looking into this: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-8255B-TX-8255-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B001AMSPQI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3JLTP4ZA1AFW7&coliid=I15X5NR7YTG50G hiibored...they're both a bit above budget, but I had the Music Hall Marimbas and Wharfedale...
  21. S

No, I meant spending the extra cash on the Onkyo 8505 ($269) v. the 8255 ($169). I was saying that that extra $100 would be going towards features that I don't plan to use except for possibly the sub-out option. I'm not interested in all of the network connectivity options. An integrated...
  22. S

Yep, definitely looks cool. I'd just have to put my purchase off by a month or so to save the extra cash. Don't know if I have the self-control. I have these speakers just sitting in their forever home in my office staring at me...all day...every day...with nothing to drive them! :D...
  23. S

I'm more comfortable with Onkyo. My home theatre receiver is a cheap(ish) Onkyo and it's performed solidly for me for over 4 years now. So yes...this is my leading candidate so far. Thanks for pointing it out! Up to this point I'd only been looking at 5.1 or 7.1 when it came to brands like...
  24. S

Hmmmmm, the more I look at that Onkyo, the more it appeals to me. Simple, no fuss solution with a 2-year warranty. If it goes bad after that, then I'm sure I'll be ready to upgrade at that point anyway. I don't need the phono stage on it, but it would be a nice option to have.
Back
Top Bottom