Search results

1. oglethorpe

Vintage 1967 Built In High End Home Hi Fi

Really great and inspiring thread! Thank you for the follow through!
  2. oglethorpe

Not done, but working. Sansui, Pioneer, Denon, AR9

Looks great! Bet it sounds great too!
  3. oglethorpe

Anyone from Georgia?

Marietta checking in.
  4. oglethorpe

Pics of your listening space

Looks like some nice stuff KA2Z, how about a rundown of your setup?
  5. oglethorpe

What is a good entry level amp for tube amps

Good question OP. At least we got a few good places to start looking.
  6. oglethorpe

Marantz 5 Madness

Wow. Very nice and thoughtful use of gear. I also really like your art, rug, tapestry, and style. Very warm and relaxed. I bet it's easy to get lost in the music in there!
  7. oglethorpe

PX-3 affected by temperature?

Wow, thanks for all the help everybody! I previously had to balance with the arm slightly tilted down to eliminate skipping. I rebalanced level and took these measurements at record height. I have a very cheap orofon scale. After weighing it, I went back to the weight I had before and it started...
  8. oglethorpe

Now that the windows have been shut for a few hours it is behaving perfectly. Before it's current location it was in a drafty bay window. I wonder if I have been fighting temperature fluctuations all along. I will try the suggestion for testing lateral resistance in the lowered position as well.
  9. oglethorpe

If the arm is balanced, and vtf is correct, does that narrow down to the bearing the arm pivots on? I have spent a few minutes moving the arm by finger and never felt it seize of glitch or Anything. In the past I have been able to make it work by adjusting the vta and vtf until it would play.
  10. oglethorpe

It is maintaining tangency. It's seems like the stylus isn't stiff enough to pull the tonearm to follow the groove. If I push the tonearm (in raised position) with my finger it moves the sled and flat belt as it makes the micro switch perfectly. I have pretty much used a stylus brush after...
  11. oglethorpe

I have seen that thread and checked and corrected all the recommended points on the deck. Every function of the tonearm is fine as far as I can tell. It really just seems like the needle won't stay in the groove.
  12. oglethorpe

My PX-3 with a Denon dl-110 is giving me a fit. When I got it I had a counterweight made to the specs I received here, as it didn't have one. I took it to the grocery store and had it weighed. It was within a few grams of stock. I set up the overhang on the ortofon Headshell using the tool that...
  13. oglethorpe

A big step up from Overnight Sensations would be?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=93821.0 Came across this thread. Interesting commentary from those qualified to do so.
  14. oglethorpe

My latest DIY loudspeakers

Great work my friend. Thanks for sharing!
  15. oglethorpe

A big step up from Overnight Sensations would be?

I built the planet-10 mini onken for the el-70 as my first build. It didn't work out for me at the time. But recently I gave them a listen on proper stands pulled well out from the wall, using a Sansui au7700 with the mids turned down a bit. I was totally blow away by what I had been missing out...
  16. oglethorpe

My new Altecs

Very cool. Were the speaker stands included?
  17. oglethorpe

Advice sought for matching system components

I think you need to figure out what type of sound you want to end up with. Smooth and relaxing, dynamic and exciting, or just plain accurate reproduction. And none of these things are necessarily mutually exclusive. Think about what draws your attention away from the music most often, and go...
  18. oglethorpe

Finally able to position speakers properly!

Thanks for the kind words guys. The wife agreed that this Christmas she gets a new tv and I get to build a set speakers. This is such a hard decision. It took me 2 years to decide on the ones I have now. I'm very interested in these kits, if anyone has any opinions to share. The tritons have a...
  19. oglethorpe

Advice sought for matching system components

For me the balance is between how revealing or not the system is. If it is very revealing and has a more neutral or bright frequency response, it might sound like all the warts, bumps, and compression in your source material are overly emphasized. This might not be a problem for you but, but was...
  20. oglethorpe

Been a while

Awesome. I sampled the last 3 deftones albums quickly today. I just have a soft spot for around the fur and adrenalin. What jazz do you recommend?
  21. oglethorpe

Been a while

Glad to have you back. We can use your type around here! I get the sense these setups see their fair share of usage. What types of music do you prefer?
  22. oglethorpe

Yep that is my thought.. But it's so purdy..
  23. oglethorpe

Thanks man! I'm really having trouble deciding if getting the sansui restored will be a sonic improvement. As of now I can definitely say the phono stage and preamp sections are a step down from the B&K and Art. I now this isn't a fair comparison with the Sansui not tuned up. I think it's...
  24. oglethorpe

boza's system

Cool speakers man, and I really like the stands!
  25. oglethorpe

Thanks for the compliments everybody. When we first saw the house I secretly wanted the room for my listening room. Then right before we moved in my wife suggested just that. As far as the system, I have lots of good examples around here to follow behind. I have just tried to take my time and...
Back
Top Bottom