Search results

1. blownsi

Looking for some soundbar advice for the rec room

First of all I'm a 2 channel guy at heart. My 2 channel systems will not be going away and they have nothing to do with this setup. I'm looking for something fun for the rec room. I have a 1080p projector and I'm looking for something to go along with it. Basically this system will be for...
  2. blownsi

Best way to display and store a few thousand CDs?

The Expedit/Kallax is quite popular for a cheap way to store records. Is there an equivalent for CDs?
  3. blownsi

Name this album, I'm stumped

I fondly remember looking at my Father's 8 tracks in the early 80s and I remember nearly all of the ones in the black suitcase with fake red velvet except for one. It was a black tape with a label that featured what I recall as an artists drawing of a motocross racer on a bike. For some reason...
  4. blownsi

AT95e Cartridge - Great value or a waste of money?

I'm looking for a budget cart to put on an older table of mine to give to a friend. I have read nothing but good about the AT95 carts for years. Some people claim that you don't need to buy a more expensive cart, or that you need would have to spend significantly more to better it. I've also...
  5. blownsi

Sonos: Is the Connect still the only way to retrofit an existing setup?

These days you can buy the Play One for $199 which is a powered speaker with Alexa that includes full Sonos capability. I have a pair of A5+ which I would love to get on Sonos, must I spend $349 for the Connect?
  6. blownsi

What's this type of album cover called?

As a kid I remember my father having more than one album that the vinyl was accessed from the inside of a gatefold opening. So you would open the cover and the record/sleeve slid into the middle. Does this style have a name? What labels used them?
  7. blownsi

Any fans of modern rap here?

I'm an 80's kid, I grew up listening to Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, etc. I followed the rap scene up until the early 2000s but could never get into Kanye or others that sound similar. Remember when 50 Cent said he would quit if Kanye outsold him? I'm pretty sure Kanye won and I left...
  8. blownsi

Which direct drive turntables are considered better than a Technics 1200?

It seems as though nearly every belt drive vs DD debate turns into a T1200 vs belt etc. There have been hundreds of other DD models besides the 1200 series, so surely there are better examples. What are they?
  9. blownsi

Which high end cassette decks are actually easy to service?

I've read plenty of things on what were the best cassette decks of all time but some of them are very difficult if not impossible to get running again. I'd like to know out of those top 10, 25 or 50 decks ever made, which ones can actually be restored by a regular person? Longer story...
  10. blownsi

Those of you with Sound Anchors...

I bought my monitors used with Sound Anchors included. They came with spikes to couple them to the floor and little brass cones on the speakers which just rest on the SA. The front cone is larger than the back two so the speaker aims upward. After hearing that Jim Smith (Get Better Sound)...
  11. blownsi

Which ADC for vinyl ripping would you recommend?

I'd like to try vinyl ripping again after having mediocre results several years ago. In the past I tried a standalone CD burner and several usb sound cards but none of them delivered great results. Recently my wife asked me to rip something for her so I used the line in jack of her little...
  12. blownsi

Returning to Mid-fi After Owning High End Gear (on purpose)

Other than divorce or job loss have any of you ever purposefully returned to "regular" gear? After spending too much time & money on chasing perfect sound I'm starting to realize that lots of the high end game is just tweaks. To some extent once you get past a certain threshold, things may...
  13. blownsi

Those cartridge comparison videos on youtube

If you haven't watched them yet, you can lose an afternoon browsing. Yes I realize that there is compression involved but have you listened to them? There is one that compares a AT440 to 150mlx and to my ears the 440 is better. There's another which compares the 2M series and the blue is...
  14. blownsi

Looking for cart recommendations around $500

I have a VPI Traveler which I love, it currently has my trusty old Sumiko Evo III on it which is getting long in the tooth so I'm looking for a replacement. While I've heard that the SS Zephyr is ideal for VPI tables, the Traveler has a gimbal style tonearm so it may not be the ideal cart...
  15. blownsi

Recognize these end table speakers?

These followed me home from the thrift today. There is no brand name on them. Anyone know what I have here?
  16. blownsi

Why are the Shure V15 carts dropping in value?

A few years ago I purchased a few of the various V15 model carts with intentions of buying a Jico SAS and then keeping the best one. At the time the V15 models were climbing and climbing so I figured I had nothing to lose. People on the forums were saying that the closest thing to a V15/SAS...
  17. blownsi

Anyone here try Qello or other concert websites?

Recently I've been hearing lots of ads for Qello but a quick search online reveals lots of competitors. If you don't know what I'm talking about think of a Netflix like streaming service specializing in concert footage. If you've tried one please let me know what you liked and didn't like...
  18. blownsi

What bookcase or rack do you use for reel to reel tapes?

Lots of people use the ikea expedit or kallax for records but Im not sure what is recommended for r2r tapes. I'm looking for something to hold about 75-100 7" r2r tapes.
  19. blownsi

Which $2k DAC pairs well with Mcintosh?

Looking to spend 2k or less on a used or new DAC to go with my Mcintosh SS integrated. Besides the D100 what else should be considered? Currently have a Peachtree Dac-itx which is excellent for it's price but I want something better. The dac does not have to do DSD.
  20. blownsi

In your opinion, is going to a server worth the time invested?

I'm really starting to wonder whether the convenience of selecting any song on the fly is really worth it compared to the ease of use a CD player provides. Just spin a disc and push play vs the hundreds of hours I've spent on ripping, tagging, sorting my collection plus there's the updating the...
  21. blownsi

Network Streamer NA6005 or NA8005?

Looking at specs I can't seem to tell the difference between the two other than price tags. What features does the 8005 have that the 6005 doesn't. Has anyone compared the two? Or own one of them?
  22. blownsi

What else should I consider besides the MAC6700?

To make a very long story short I have an old MA5100 that I would like to swap out with a new(er) piece. I'm seriously considering the MAC6700 as I would like to not only upgrade amp and preamp but also DAC at the same time. I have a budget tuner already and barely use it. Should I consider...
  23. blownsi

Tidal doesn't sound as good as a CD Rip

I've heard a few others mention this elsewhere but I thought I'd bring it up here. Has anyone else found that Tidal is not equal to redbook sq? I'm not sure if it's a by-product of streaming, a software issue or what but Tidal sounds lifeless compared to Redbook from my NAS. Just for...
  24. blownsi

Where can I buy a replacement wall wart for Rega?

I purchased a used Rega Fono and the Ac Adapter was broken during shipping. Does anyone know where I can find a suitable replacement? I have heard that it's the same adapter for a Fono, Ear & TTPSU. The spec on the unit itself says: 24VAC 350ma Parts express has a 24VAC 1000mah but I have...
  25. blownsi

Name a well recorded LP that can be bought cheaply

I've seen several "show-off" threads but it seems as though all of records in those lists are rare and cost a small fortune. How about something the average Joe can find readily available and under $10 new/used. I'll kick it off with Roberta Flack's First Take.
Back
Top Bottom