Search results

1. Spasticteapot

Paradigm Studio 60 V4 vs. NHT 2.5i...upgrade??

I have what I'm pretty sure is the midrange from the 2.9, and I've seen the tweeter. Both are very out-of-date designs massively outperformed by more modern offerings from the same manufacturer (Seas), while the Paradigms are full of very modern stuff. It's a bit like comparing a 1980's Porsche...
  2. Spasticteapot

Best rockin speaker under $400

I'm going to play the devil's advocate and suggest going DIY. The Econowaves are a huge leap forwards from what you'll find in most vintage speakers, and for $400 you're looking for more than just a total bargain.
  3. Spasticteapot

Bose 901 w 8-10" passive?

Some of that is often due to port chuffing (which was, IIRC, a problem for the 901s.) Using a really huge port tube can fix this, but it looks awful funny.
  4. Spasticteapot

12 inch woofer 4 inch coil selenium... Pros cons?

The VAS is really only useful if the Qts and Fs are the same. They won't be. What you're really thinking about is the Qtc, which describes the damping factor of the entire mechanical system. Cheap speakers in overported boxes or very small sealed cabinets will be far less damped than better...
  5. Spasticteapot

I've gone and blown my tweeter.

Tweeters cannot be substiuted without making big changes in the design - phase and impedance varies with frequency, and you can get big frequency response problems.
  6. Spasticteapot

Paradigm Studio 60 V4 vs. NHT 2.5i...upgrade??

I can't compare the speakers, but I can guarantee you that the NHTs in question are several generations behind in terms of technology. Newer speakers like the Paradigms or present-generation NHTs are a big step forwards in motor design and construction. $900 seems like a pretty good price, too...
  7. Spasticteapot

Bose 901 w 8-10" passive?

A passive radiator isn't much different from a port. The difference in performance, if any, would be small. An easier solution is just to add a passive crossover at ~150hz to some woofers in boxes. Or use some plate amps, or run them with a subwoofer crossed lower.
  8. Spasticteapot

12 inch woofer 4 inch coil selenium... Pros cons?

The problem with Selenium drivers is that they're designed for pro use, and therefore have less than desirable functional properties for your application. A few issues you may encounter include: 1. Suitability for very large boxes and only very large boxes. Pro drivers are designed for high...
  9. Spasticteapot

The De-Manification of Speakers: An American Tragedy

A friend of mine nearly died due to a misfire with an 1860s replica revolver. He's now carrying more lead in his leg than 50 Cent.
  10. Spasticteapot

The De-Manification of Speakers: An American Tragedy

The problem with small speakers is the tricky combination of very low efficiency and very small voice coils. Asking them to produce 110dB will get you an awful lot less due to dynamic compression; asking them for 110dB below 100hz will just shred the woofers. It's Hoffman's Iron Law. It's...
  11. Spasticteapot

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Does anyone know if the DC300's T/S specs are bunk? Zilch built up a pair with far less bass response than WinISD indicates.
  12. Spasticteapot

It looks like Parts Express' new "PA-style" woofers are pretty suitable for this application, with good power handling, very high efficiency, and an acceptable 5mm excursion across most of the range...
  13. Spasticteapot

I'm afraid I'm stuck without any software for excursion calculation at the moment - WINE is a bit unhappy on my Macintosh. A 2.5-way with a simple electronic lowpass seems like an ideal solution for boosting the low octave a bit, and the additional cost is minimal.
  14. Spasticteapot

Sadly not - there's simply no budget for it. I have a sneaking suspicion that while the speakers can easily make the 50hz f3 I'm looking for, they'll be excursion-limited to far less output than I want. A second woofer adds only a bit more to the cost, but allows for +6dB output - and that makes...
  15. Spasticteapot

I'm a bit perplexed - the CLIO measurement shows -10dB at 50hz. I'm not brilliant at Xover design, but it does seem that adding a second woofer in parallel with a 6dB low-pass at about 160hz would help prop up low-end response a bit without requiring to much excursion. Or am I reading this...
  16. Spasticteapot

I have a budget of approximately $300 to build some Econo-Waveguides. These will be used as PA speakers (though only in very small rooms - the sort of things people use those rubbishy little Bose PA speakers for), and need to be able to produce some fairly impressive SPL. Can anyone recommend a...
  17. Spasticteapot

Do you buy singles ?

Only if I know I can flip it fairly easily to someone who wants a center channel. :) That said, I'm hoping to find something I can convert into a single-channel iPod boombox fairly easily. Does anyone have any recommendations? It need not be the world's best speaker, but high efficiency would...
  18. Spasticteapot

Weirdest speaker designs.

Most speakers are pretty much the same: a woofer, a tweeter, and maybe a mid stuck in a box. There are numerous variations on the theme - ports, passive radiators, horn loading - but in the end, they all look and work more or less the same. Some, however, are different. Plasma tweeters...
  19. Spasticteapot

Powered Monitors

The Behringer 2030Ps are good for the money. Dead flat from 70hz to 20khz. You won't get better for $130. If you want something cheap and convenient, get some M-Audio BX5As. They sound pretty good, they're very small, and because they're so popular you can get a pair for $150 used.
  20. Spasticteapot

Minimus 7 crossover upgrade??

I have some Minimus 7s. Don't like 'em at all. I'd be interested in trying to make them better.
  21. Spasticteapot

Why use foam surrounds on speakers?

I'm guessing that early rubber surrounds hardened too fast - foam at least would stay compliant.
  22. Spasticteapot

Lafayaette leviathan - help needed!

I'll try the lightbulb trick.
  23. Spasticteapot

Audio regrets

I once gave away a big pair of neat old Bozaks. There's also the stupid DIY mistakes....
  24. Spasticteapot

Lafayaette leviathan - help needed!

The amp is a Lafayaette PA-423. You're right - they are 6L6s. All mismatched, too. ::sigh: There are several lugs for different speaker impedances - 4 ohms, 6.25 ohms, and 8 ohms. I should connect the little black wire to whichever I am using, then? I'll be plugging into my 8-ohm "test...
  25. Spasticteapot

JL Fathom musicality

TC Sounds / Audiopulse is good, but pricey. If you can afford the dinero, a ScanSpeak sub or Seas Excel 10" driver in a well-braced box would likely be absolutely stellar.
Back
Top Bottom