Search results

1. pdm4606

Yamaha M-50 capacitor rebuild.....

Some problems that ended in a complete rebuild of the M-50. Only issue now that all small caps and transistors are replaced, what power caps to use. 10000 uf X 63 V @ 105V. May as well do all 4. Just did a rebuild 5 years ago and ONE power cap is bulged. Range is low ( 9850+- ) but ESR is double...
  2. pdm4606

Going crazy with my Yammy C-50 M-50 combo.

Severe distortion on startup and doing my darnnnest to figure what is giving the issue. Sounds easy huh. I have cooled and restarted both the pre and power many times. And sorry if I did something wrong but I have not been able to find which one is the culprit. Takes around 20 minutes to clear...
  3. pdm4606

How many turntables do you have?

Working only and used regularly or as close to regular use as you do use.
  4. pdm4606

C-50 Phono 1 vs Phono 2 switch

I finally came up with a logical solution that has been bugging me for the past 6 years. That being the failure of the Phono 1 vs Phono 2 selector switch. The actual slider is not larger that the head of a pin and is totally open to the outside environment. Really this switch is so small and...
  5. pdm4606

ROKU....Some problems....

I have been using a Sony Playstation.Vue with ROKU for around 2 months now and a problem has developed. The issue consist of what exactly is "HOME" to the Playstation system and your point of use. My Playstation system is supposed to work in my neighborhood of Las Cruces/El Paso. It never has...
  6. pdm4606

New tweeters for my L-100's.........

After I found one of my L-100 tweeters blown around 5 years ago I have been putting off the fix. I finally found a pair of bullet nose titanium/aluminum tweeters. Very 075'ish in my thinking. I found them on sale for $30.00 for the pair free shipping. Delivery went quick. They are heavy. almost...
  7. pdm4606

Deoxit miracle.....

I have a setup of 2 Yamaha C-50 preamps. Of course Yamaha is known for having issues with poor contacts, dirty relays and others on the magnetic preamp areas. I tried a Deoxit solution of a ounce of denatured alcohol with 10 drops of Deoxit red. It was a miracle. All the dropouts, distortion...
  8. pdm4606

Tom Cruise talks Lp's with Kimmel.....

Tom Cruise last night was a guest on Kimmel's late night show. Part of the conversation was about how Tom Cruise has had a record playing room recently installed to his house. He also talked about his first ever 45 rpm by Elvis and how he loves the sound of LP's. No info on equipment but with...
  9. pdm4606

DIY tonearm some folks want to see.......

I have gotten several requests about my unique tone arm lately. I can explain all the challenges in building it but that would take several pages. How about a ton of pictures??? Here goes......
  10. pdm4606

LED has brightened things up......

I attached an LED to my arm in hopes of keeping up with the latest gimmick. The LED sure makes my music brighter.
  11. pdm4606

How about some LP cleaning that sounds great.......

I have been experimenting a long time. It seemed to me that.... LP's sound better when cleaned by.... 1. Spinning my TT at a greater speed than printed on the LP. My old Sony LX-300H is at 49.5 RPM max. Checked with my iphone running the "RPM" app. 2. Using a stiff stylus like my...
  12. pdm4606

Lane Tech High School....anyone?????

I read that Lane is going to be the locations of Apple's newest line showing. Sometime in April. Major announcements on lots of new stuff. The present CEO, Tim Cook, to be on hand as the presenter. I am Lane June '61 grad. Just thought I'd drop a post to see if any Lane folks are here. AK is...
  13. pdm4606

Scope goes crazy when monitoring turntable signal from preamp............

I finally got time to check out my turntable signal coming from the preamp. Pre is Yamaha C-50. TT is DIY old ROK and DIY arm. Cartridge is 681 EEE with new stylus. Signal is taken from tape out on C-50. Run TT and check with several test LP's. Walscosonic test..... Hi-Fi Stereo Review test...
  14. pdm4606

Scope goes crazy when monitoring turntable signal from preamp............

I finally got time to check out my turntable signal coming from the preamp. Pre is Yamaha C-50. TT is DIY old ROK and DIY arm. Cartridge is 681 EEE with new stylus. Signal is taken from tape out on C-50. Run TT and check with several test LP's. Walscosonic test..... Hi-Fi Stereo Review test...
  15. pdm4606

Dull coating on LP's????

I got some Lp's last week and a few have what I call a very dull coating covering both sides of the LP. It looks to me like a glue or varnish. I don't know what the purpose of this stuff is. I played after cleaning and the LP sound absolutely perfect despite the date on the jacket being 1958. I...
  16. pdm4606

Garrard 301 on sale.....

I saw the listing for a Garrard 301 for bid on Goodwill on line today(12/10/17). The current price was around $45.00. It has an old Rek-O-Kut arm with what looks to be an unknown cart (MC maybe ?).
  17. pdm4606

AT toss up....

I saw the listings for AT needles quite confusing. AT made (ATN3472C) is listed as a elliptical shape on several sites. The assigned needle for my cart is ATN3474C(non elliptical). But another listing says it should cost around $25. But the listing for the elliptical in one case is listed for...
  18. pdm4606

Audio is in me....

Very interesting editorial in latest "Stereophile" page 3 of the Dec. 17 issue, commenting on what is it we are doing here. Robert Schryer comments on our obsession. Audio is in our blood and part of our makeup. It controls all we do and how we think. That amp, speaker, TT, tape deck, and the...
  19. pdm4606

JBL Lancers......

JBL L77 Lancers listed at the Goodwill of Southwest Florida. New listing..... Look decent. No affiliation.......
  20. pdm4606

3D glasses charging cable......

We got our 3D glasses many years ago but due to little interest and rare 3D movie showing we never used the glasses. Now lately 3D seems more popular. However we attempted to use our glasses only to find that they are not charged. Searching through the boxes and packages we never opened failed...
  21. pdm4606

Yamaha blown????

My C-50 preamp is not working right. Earphone jack works ok. Amp powers up fine. Clicks as it should on start up. However there is little to no output at main outputs. I can faintly hear something and it is all distorted. Something disconnected by accident last week that created a monumental...
  22. pdm4606

Yamaha front push button inserts

My Yamaha KX 1200U has several missing front push button inserts missing. Came that way when I bought it around 8 years ago. Looks like crap without the insert. See photos. Any suggestions would help. I could make new but would like new/used same as if possible. They are die cast aluminum. Only...
  23. pdm4606

Yamaha cassette tape rubber wheel source.

I need a new small drive wheel that drives either the take up wheel depending on what side is taking up. It flips magically to either side when activated. The outside dia. is .550" dia. The inside dia. is around .390 The thickness is .085" and the cross section is almost square. It is used on my...
  24. pdm4606

What do you want? Dish or DirecTV???

After wrangling with Dish for several months we finally pulled the plug and changed over to DirecTV group plan. The new DirecTV will only be good for 2 years with I am sure hefty increases after. But it will save us over $100/mo for the package plan compared to a similar package plan from Dish...
  25. pdm4606

Getting ready to replace the tweeters in my L-100's....

I have read and read about replacing tweeters in my L-100 's for several years now but I am getting ready to take action. The only problem is that I have gotten so much contradictory info. about either adding new design tweeters or sticking with the same old style tweeters. Cost will play a part...
Back
Top Bottom