Search results

1. S

The radio that works TOO well!

Hey guys...remember this? This unit still works (and doesn't come on randomly anymore). In fact, it's next to my bed right now. Coming soon...the AM/FM/VHF TV Band/WX radio that I rescued from the dumpster at work...covered in dog (people?) shit... (All clean now, obviously)
  2. S

*sigh*

I had been looking forward to the arrival of this tape player/clock radio. That's the transformer sitting loose in the set. The largest peice of the case that fell out of the bubble wrap. Singlewall cardboard. Those foam blocks are like bricks. Is there any saving this set or should I just...
  3. S

Proton 320, anyone?

I really like the phototronic eye that automatically dims the display when it "senses" darkness. This really is a good unit!
  4. S

Proton 320, anyone?

Well, the radio arrived sometime today via FedEx. I plugged it in and it works great. I didn't get it for the alarm clock. I only got it because there's a Proton 320 that's beat half to death floating around the back room at work, and I liked it so much I wanted a good one for myself. While...
  5. S

Proton 320, anyone?

So, this, http://cgi.ebay.com/Proton-320-AM-FM-Alarm-Radio-L-K_W0QQitemZ250093355259QQcategoryZ94902QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem, is going to be my birthday present from my folks this year, and hopefully I should first be firing it up on my birthday or whenever it arrives. My question...
  6. S

What I probably find attractive is that I bonded with it because no one loved it. Currently the little guy works pretty well. It must be haunted or something because it only plays on when it gets "mad" at me, and I can talk to it or shush it and it quiets down. No joke. I wonder who died to...
  7. S

It's not a radio...it's a lifestyle. :P If you think about it, all of you can understand what I mean. Plus, the more people tell me to put it down, the more I want to fix it so I can enjoy it in front of them!
  8. S

I'm interested in the tooth paste trick. Some idiot really went to town on it. Will that smooth out the plastic or what?
  9. S

Sadly, no joke. Unfortunately my "fix" was only temporary. It started playing again non-stop sometime last night. This being solid state like it is, I'll probably take it to an electronics repair shop and hope they don't laugh me out the door! The problem has to be a wire moving around where it...
  10. S

It's awfully square-ish to be a chock. :P
  11. S

anti-climactically, I think I "fixed" the problem. The radio had been sitting on the edge of my TV table, which has a lip, to the thing was leaned back about 10 degrees against my TV, and it sat like that for about three days. I had it sitting on my bed, leaning slightly forward and I...
  12. S

But...I rescued it!
  13. S

Hey guys, last week I rescued an old GE 7-4630D clock radio from my workplace. Aside from being stuffed with enough aluminum shavings to make a years supply of beer cans, and looking like someone had taken a wire brush to the plastic over the display, the unit really had no problems. Until now...
  14. S

Flat screen monitor troubles?

Hey AKers, In 2003, I got a Dell flat screen display. It's worked pretty well alright for the past 2.5 years, the resolution isn't great, but lately I've been having an annoying problem. I haven't studied flat screen technology...but here's my problem: I usually leave the thing on if I'm...
  15. S

High speed internet

I have the family's first computer. An ancient NEC "PowerMate 1" 286/10MHz. My dad got a 486/66 in 1993 and the 286 was essentially given to me. Believe it or not, I was still using that computer daily until 2001. I technically had two 486es during the late 90s, but they were both "forced" on...
  16. S

Y'all ain't gonna b'lieve this...

Yeah, I know. You have to respect yourself enough to take care of where you live. *pushes aside beer bottles, animal dung, and comic books with a pushbroom* Now hold my beer, will ya? *hits the wall with a 16-lb. sledgehammer* I'll bet I can knock through the bricks with this next swing!
  17. S

I'm giving up TV

Yeah, I remember too when TVLand came on the air. Does anyone remember the "retromercials" that they used to play randomly during commercial breaks? When was the last time you saw one o thems things, eh? Well, when analog radio/TV gets canned in the US don't forget that Canada, Mexico, and a...
  18. S

I'm giving up TV

If it wasn't bad enough, they are for sure going to be gunning for radio sometime after TV. Who knows, they might even unexpectedly make 2009 the radio date too. Ver batim, from the FCC's website concerning digital radio: "Potential to introduce new data and information services that will...
  19. S

I'm giving up TV

In response to all the ranting about commercials: 1) As annoying as they are, they occationally can be funny and most importantly, they keep your TV free. If you go to the UK, or anywhere in Western Europe, or many other countries in the world, you have to buy a license to listen to or watch...
  20. S

In Texas, Fighting to Keep Brahms on Air

Unhappy campers?! This quote makes me imagine this guy like any ultra-left, hippie grade school teacher, trying to stir up peer pressure to make any kids who disagree with the teacher's views to conform.
  21. S

HD Radio Tuner Choices?

Why build the quality tuner for digital? Well, it benefits everyone involved...except us. Here's how it starts: the radio mfgr's begin to "work together" to perfect a digital radio broadcasting technology. Next, once it works about 75 or 80% of the time, they start publicising the avalibity...
  22. S

Emerson tabletop set loses audio

12BA6 Knowing there's the links on this site can anyone give advice on a good tube manufacturer or supplier?
  23. S

Well, thanks, Sandy, but I just had a look with the back off and it appears the tuner tube bit the dust. :/ Now all I can pickup is Radio Diznee and the religious channel. It was bright last week, and now...
  24. S

Hey guys, I have an old Emerson tabletop radio, circa mid-/late 50s, typical 5-tube design, AM+SW, which was in reasonably frequent use for extended periods of time and never had problems with. Then in 2000, my mom took it over to use as basically a decoration peice in the living room. Well...
  25. S

Care and Maintenance of Cassette and Reel to Reel.

If you put a degausser near a picture tube of any sort (monitor, TV, etc.), you'll magnetize the phosophor grid in that particular spot, causing at least moderate discolouration, and probably some blurring of the image because the grid doesn't have the right electromagnetic properties for the...
Back
Top Bottom