Search results

1. C

Vibrating Tonearm: Bad Stylus, Bad Pressing or Bad Adjustment?

I finally replaced the stylus on my VM95 cartridge, which was attached to my Music Hall mmf-2.2. I had previously been using the SH stylus, and it was way past the 800 hour mark and I was concerned I might be doing damage to my records/ I ended up going back to the VMN95ML, but within 24 hours...
  2. C

It Just Won't Die (the Music Hall mmf-2.2, That Is...)

As many of you may be aware, last year during the lockdown I bought an Audio Technica AT-LP140XP as my primary ripping turntable. The Technics belt-drive I was previously using became more trouble than it was worth, and so had the Music Hall mmf-2.2 I was using before that. Now, over 18 months...
  3. C

Hum disappears AFTER disconnecting turntable ground from preamp?

For a while I've been dealing with a persistent hum problem with my vinyl ripping setup that I have been unable to trace. I have two suspects: the turntable itself (an AT-LP140XP, which seems to have a history of hum problems) and the PC I'm using for capture (the case is open at several points...
  4. C

Time to Give Up on the Music Hall mmf-2.2?

After many years of faithful service and only a couple trips to the repair shop, I am debating on whether or not to put my mmf-2.2 into the shop for one last repair. A couple weeks back, I pulled it out to make sure it was still working (it was), and I even did a couple vinyl rips to compare it...
  5. C

Aligning an mmf-2.2

After a couple months of being in mothballs, I brought out my old mmf-2.2 to see how well it's holding up. I couldn't find the Pro-Ject cartridge alignment protractor that came with it, so I ordered one of those mirrored Hudson Hi-Fi protractors instead. I have since read that those weren't...
  6. C

Six Months with the AT-LP140XP (Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Like a Hanpin...)

In March of this year, not long after I gave myself the dual gifts of a 55-inch 4K smart TV and a Microline stylus for my VM95 cartridge, the Technics SL-B3 that had been my workhorse for nine months finally got too cantankerous to trust for ripping vinyl. I would have random fluctuations in...
  7. C

Thoughts on Cartridge Upgrade for AT-LP140XP

During the lockdown in Illinois, my Technics SL-B3 finally got so unstable that I ended up ordering an AT-LP140XP that was on sale at Zzounds for $100 off ($299 total). I have been quite satisfied with the performance so far, but now I am looking to broaden my cartridge horizons. Currently I...
  8. C

Tube Box S2 Question

I am looking to pick up one of these in the next couple of weeks, and from what I understand, the tubes themselves do not do any of the actual gain work; they just color the output. That being said, I'm looking to find recommendations for a good all-purpose tube. My ripping habits lean more...
  9. C

A New (ish) turntable, Finally!

Well, it took me long enough, and it wasn't the direction I planned to go with my upgrade, but yesterday I bought a used Technics SL-B3 off a guy on Craigslist for 75 bucks. The only problems it had were that part of the automatic system wasn't working, so it was manual all the way, and the...
  10. C

Looking for Good MM/MC Carts for Technics SL-220, AT-LP1240USB-XP or PLX-1000

I have decided that I'm giving up my pursuit of a good used SL-1200, and I have found three alternatives: A used Technics SL-220 for $177 without cartridge; a new AT-LP1240USB-XP with an XP5 cartridge, and; a new Pioneer PLX-1000 without cartridge. I am considering the following cartridges for...
  11. C

Time to Upgrade Again...

After going through the drama I went through earlier this year with the mmf-2.2, I came the conclusion that I do not like turntable withdrawal, and in the interests of avoiding it, I would be getting a backup turntable that would eventually become my primary. I have finally winnowed my choices...
  12. C

MMF-2.3 vs Debut Carbon DC vs Rega Planar 1 or 2

Over the past couple of months, I have been going through a lot of stuff with my otherwise reliable Music Hall mmf-2.2. It all started when I decided to replace the cartridge after having gone through my second Tracker stylus in as many months. I decided to go with the Grado Prestige Black1...
  13. C

Which Preamp: Mani, Pluto or Phono Box DC?

I have finally decided that my ART phono preamp has to go, and I am currently eyeing three models: the Schiit Mani, the U-Turn Pluto and the Pro-Ject Phono Box DC. Admittedly I am leaning heavily towards the Mani, but it's out of stock at both Amazon and Schiit's website. Amazon has the Pluto...
  14. C

My mmf-2.2: 14 Months Later...

A little over a year ago, I picked up a Music Hall mmf-2.2 turntable from Micro Center in Chicago after watching the price on it drop over the course of another year. When I finally picked it up, it went out the door for $120 bucks. How cool is that for a more or less new Music Hall turntable...
  15. C

Finally Got the MMF-2.2!

I finally made my move on the Music Hall MMF-2.2 that was hanging around our local Micro Center in Chicago for the past two years. It cost me 150 bucks because they knocked off another $30. Setting it up was a lot less complicated than I had imagined, with the only problem being that the...
  16. C

Ideal Cartridge for Music Hall MMF-2.2?

After various false starts this year, I will finally be able to get my first new turntable in several years, a Music Hall MMF-2.2 that's been sitting around the local Micro Center for almost two years. Although it is not completely new (the box appears to have been opened), it does not appear to...
  17. C

AT-LP120 Mod Question?

Has anyone ever taken their 120 to an electronics shop to have the preamp removal done as opposed to doing it themselves. I have decided to get one of these, and even though the place I'm getting it from has a very liberal exchange/upgrade policy, I foresee myself keeping it because anything...
Back
Top Bottom