Search results

1. bobsvinyl

AQ Friend Gifted Me His Record Collection

One of the letter carriers I worked with in NH called me up and asked me if I would be interested in his record collection. He told me he was downsizing and didn't have space for it at his new home. He said it was around 100 records and he did not want any money for them. He came over today...
  2. bobsvinyl

7" 45 RPM Records on the Bell Label-Any Info?

I found a small batch of 7" records at the thrift that were 78 RPM instead of 45 RPM. They were all on the Bell label with no dates listed. Some showed up on Discogs. I was just wondering if anyone has had these before? I'm guessing they were put out at the end of the 78 RPM era. I know RCA...
  3. bobsvinyl

Almost a Famous Quotation

I did a search of the "Almost" game threads and didn't see this one yet. Take a famous quote and twist it around a little and see what you come up with. Examples: "Don't fire until you see the whites of their thighs!" William Prescott "The only thing we have to fear is beer itself."...
  4. bobsvinyl

Help translating a record album title from Japanese to English

I purchased a Japanese record box set and the only English is Columbia on the record label. I tried photo ID on Google and running the ID number through Discogs and then a general search and nothing came up. I even tried translating the title using a Japanese alphabet site, but no luck. If...
  5. bobsvinyl

Happy Birthday, Te-Te!!

Somehow Te-Te's birthday vanished off his profile page so I decided to add a thread to celebrate the aging of one of the top members on AK. I've had the pleasure to hang out with Terence on many occasions and you couldn't ask for a friendlier, more caring and giving person. The best to you on...
  6. bobsvinyl

What CD are You Hearing Now??

I did a search to see if there was already a thread like this but I didn't see one. A spinoff of the What Record are You Hearing Now?. I have hearing loss and now wear hearing aids. I found that the digital CD sounds better to me than analog since getting the aids. Over the past 4 or 5 years...
  7. bobsvinyl

New Dog in the Family

Our dog, Ruby, is now 14 years old but still in good health. We decided to find another dog so she would have a friend to hang out with. Ruby is 40 pounds so we wanted to find a smaller dog. New Hampshire has many shelters and rescue organizations, but the dogs are adopted as fast as they...
  8. bobsvinyl

Favorite Music to Welcome in Spring, 2022

As I watch the snow flurries outside, I realized that Spring is just around the corner. There are songs from my past that bring back fond memories of the end of W@inter and welcoming back warm breezes and sunshine. The two songs I remember off the top of my head are not really Spring songs...
  9. bobsvinyl

Happy Labor Day!

I want to wish all those hard working AK members a Happy Labor Day. I've been retired now for over eight years and I don't miss the rat race at all. I spent 37 years as a card carrying union member in the National Association of Letter Carriers and proud of it. Break out the barbecue!
  10. bobsvinyl

47 Years of Marriage Today

Wow, did it go by fast. I met my wife in high school. She was a year younger than me. I saw her at a dance and asked a buddy what her name was. I told him that was the woman I was going to marry. I don't know why I would think that at 17, but I had this premonition. We began dating in...
  11. bobsvinyl

Happy Father's Day Everybody!

I hope all the Dads on AK have a fun day tomorrow. My wife and kids have planned a barbecue with coleslaw, macaroni salad, baked beans, tossed salad and a sheet cake for dessert. I'll be manning the grill with short ribs, country style ribs and hamburgers. I'll cook the ribs low and slow in...
  12. bobsvinyl

Do all turntables have exterior ground wires?

I'm the first to admit I'm not great on the technical end of the hobby. I have always had turntables with a ground wire that hooked up to the amp or receiver. I found a beautiful Elac Miracord 50HII at a yard sale with the manual and two cartridges. It was made in West Germany and is built...
  13. bobsvinyl

Happy Easter and Passover, AK!

I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Easter and Passover. Watched Mass at 7:00 AM. 3 of our kids will be stopping by for a ham dinner around 1:00 PM. I hope this will be the last Easter under COVID. There is a lot to be thankful for. Only one person in our immediate family was sick with...
  14. bobsvinyl

Write a Sentence Using a Music Group.

Boredom has driven me to this. Write a sentence where you incorporate a music group, any genre. The trick is you can't just put the group's name in like "I saw The Doors in concert.". You have to change it up, like "The Doors to the stadium were left unlocked." Well, we'll see what happens...
  15. bobsvinyl

Should Blues be Considered Rock?

I've noticed in my years of crate digging and record shows that there are people out there that place Blues artists under Rock. I can see artists that have rockified the Blues like Clapton, early Fleetwood Mac, Hendrix and the Yardbirds, but not the earlier and more traditional Black artists...
  16. bobsvinyl

Things that make you happy

What makes you happy? I know we are going through a stressful time in this country and I think it's important to stay positive. The main thing that helps me is my family and friends. COVID has separated us from our kids but we have managed to stay in touch and care about each other. They...
  17. bobsvinyl

Bad Boss/ Supervisor Stories

I was thinking back on my 37 years with the Postal Service and some of the bad encounters I had with supervisors. I smile and shake my head now, but I remember being pretty upset at the time. When I got married, I put in for three days off. We were pretty poor and we weren't planning a...
  18. bobsvinyl

Spiderman Comic Collector Story

I was a huge fan of Spiderman comics when I was growing up in the early 60's. I wanted to be a cartoonist and Steve Ditko was one of my favorite artists. I had every issue from 1 to 31, including Amazing Fantasy #15. I grew up and got married, had 5 kids and pretty much had forgotten about...
  19. bobsvinyl

Covideos- Your Favorite Plague, Virus, Apocalypse Movies

There have been plenty of them. Civilizations wiped out, mutated bacteria and alien illnesses. My favorite is The Satan Bug (1965), starring George Maharis, Richard Basehart, Anne Francis, and Dana Andrews. Pretty close to our present situation. I hope you guys list some that I haven't seen...
  20. bobsvinyl

Happy New Year Before You're All Drunk

Wishing all the AK family a happy and hopefully healthy New Year. My wife and I have an exciting evening planned. Out with the old N95 and in with the new mask. We will then exchange hand sanitizers. Be Safe!
  21. bobsvinyl

Tell Us Your Funny Record Store Experiences

I was thinking about Mike, a good friend of mine who owned a record store. He has been gone over 7 years but I still have fond memories of him and his shop. He was one of the fairest people I ever did business with and had a great sense of humor. One day I was in the store and he had a new...
  22. bobsvinyl

Wild and Crazy Fashion Statements From Over the Years

This is sort of a game. See what wild outfits you can find that the fashion industry has come up with over the years. No rules. I always thought some of the clothing industry was not in step with the average joe out there working for a living. Here's my first pick.
  23. bobsvinyl

Anybody into the Genre Library/ Production Music?

I just recently discovered the world of Library/ Production music. Mostly from the 60s and 70s and was created to be used as soundtrack music for everything from TV sports to movies to corporate use. I like it because it reminds me of many cheesy cop and spy movies and TV shows I watched from...
  24. bobsvinyl

Almost a Christmas/ Holiday Song

This may be short-lived, but what the heck. Have a great Christmas to everyone here at AK! Here we go....... Here Comes Santa's Boss. All I Want for Christmas are My Two Grundigs. I Saw Mommy Dissing Santa Claus.
  25. bobsvinyl

GoodWill to Men- I Got an Early Christmas Present!!

I was talking to a friend of mine and he asked if I wanted to go to the GW Buy the Pound today. I had been there the day before, but we always have a good time together and I had nothing pressing so I said sure. We arrived at 7:00 AM and didn't find too much. About 8:45 AM they wheeled out...
Back
Top Bottom