Search results

1. King Ludd

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Peter Tosh Had to relube the TT, he was sounding a bit rough, but okay now. First time I had to lube the spindle in the 47 years I owned it, CEC White BD 3000L, just keeps on spinning.
  2. King Ludd

Great Kef 203s

Just picked up a pair of Kef 203s in near mint condition. Listening to them as I type, and I really like them. They have replaced the older Kef 101s on my desk as my monitors. Detail and soundstage is amazing, reminds me why I love Kefs so much. I read that the 203s are the same speakers...
  3. King Ludd

Suggestions please for Frankenspeakers

WOW Downloaded WINisd and found the RS woofers. Many Vifa tweeters, but none match the D26TF-06 designation of the ones I have. I know Vifa started out in Denmark and are now made in China, and have some kind of connection to Peerless(?). Any idea how I can correlate what I have to what...
  4. King Ludd

Thanks, but mine are now Frankenstein speakers, only original parts are the cabinets. I think I need either smaller woofers or added mids to fix these; either way new Xovers are required. Will keep working on it.
  5. King Ludd

Just realized that if I want this to work by changing 10" to 8" woofer, or adding a mid, I will need to change the crossovers. I have looked at endless crossover explanations, but realize now that I am allergic to crossover calculations. Best I can do is order new caps and solder them in...
  6. King Ludd

Thanks for the suggestions. I love the way the Vifas sound, so would like to keep them. Will look at the mid-friendly 8" woofer option and report back.
  7. King Ludd

HTHMAN Thanks for the response, yes I had asked for help on these guys before. With beginner's luck, I just ended up adding the Vifa tweeters (only ones available in my price range at the local surplus store) and lucked out. I have tried to research the Thiele Small parameters of the...
  8. King Ludd

Cabinets are 13 1/2"w x 24"h x 11" d (exterior, 5/8" thick particle board with veneer). They are sealed, I used grey rope caulk on both drivers. There is also a piece of fiberglass insulation in the cabinet. Pics with the original CTS tweeters and with the new Vifa ones attached. Funnily...
  9. King Ludd

I bought a pair of AR18's yesterday

Thanks Bridmanjj Presumably you have to work fast and reassemble the speaker and run the sin wave while the glue is still drying? Probably a good reason to use Aleene's Tacky Glue.
  10. King Ludd

KEF Reference 101

My favourite speaker of all time. Am listening to the pair on my desk now, I bought them new many years ago. Not so good on the low end, but the Polk sub-woofer behind me fills that in nicely.
  11. King Ludd

I bought a pair of AR18's yesterday

I found a pair of 18Bs by the side of the road; kept them for about 10 years in the basement until I heard about refoaming. First soeakers I ever refoamed, and they sound great. I always centre the voice coil by feel, have never heard of the 50hz sine wave method, can you explain?
  12. King Ludd

I bought a pair of Royal 5As at Goodwill for $20. Great locally made 2 way Canadian speakers circa 1975, with CTS drivers. When I opened them up, discovered that the 10" woofers were replaced with Realistic 40-1331Bs, and one tweeter blown. Woofers are ok but not great, and I replaced the...
  13. King Ludd

Can speaker switch box damage my receiver?

PE advised that it will maintain a safe 8 ohm load if 8 ohm speakers are connected. Not sure if I should risk it with a receiver I have paid to recap. May try it with my old Fisher RS-1035; if that blows up, I haven't lost much.
  14. King Ludd

OK, thanks, if I get it I will be careful. I am not looking to play many speakers at once, just to be able to switch back and forth between one pair to another to compare them. Without having to rewire the leads; my auditory memory is not that long!
  15. King Ludd

Yes, this one has a button on the front that activates an 'impedance matching protection circuit'. Do you think that matches the draw from the speakers to what the amp puts out? (if that makes sense, I don't fully understand speakers vs amp outputs).
  16. King Ludd

KEF 104 Reference - The Little White Dot

Could they have been refoamed or repaired, and somebody put the dot there to help center the voice coil? Although having said that, it is such a delicate adjustment that a dot probably wouldn't help.
  17. King Ludd

I have so many pairs of speakers now that I rotate them in and out of use. I would like to be able to hook up several pairs at once and switch between them to compare, rather than disconnecting and reconnecting the wires all the time. PE has a switch box (the SS4) that takes 4 pairs plus a...
  18. King Ludd

Vifa tweeter ID

This time with attachments
  19. King Ludd

Vifa tweeter ID

Thanks Will continue to listen to them improve. Have been searching for the D26TF-06 specs online, have found the attached (one in Tymphany archive); both look very similar, not exact. Maybe the model number and labelling varies between Vifa / Peerless / Tymphany; no idea if they were made...
  20. King Ludd

Vifa tweeter ID

Starting to sound better and better. Do tweeters take time to warm up? Or maybe the new caps? Listening to jazz on CBC; highs are now clear and strong, can hear every cymbal brush loud and clear.
  21. King Ludd

Vifa tweeter ID

Okay, so I bought the Vifa tweeters and installed them; they didn't have the ones advertised, so I ended up with Vifa D-26-TF-06. 6 ohm, originals were 8 ohm. Speakers sound pretty good now; bass and midrange are good, but high frequencies are a bit disappointing. These are total...
  22. King Ludd

Vifa tweeter ID

I was thinking that 05 might be 5/8" which is 16mm. However since as you point out the domes are 3/4" or 19mm, maybe not.
  23. King Ludd

Vifa tweeter ID

I know you are right, but I was just hoping for a cheap and easy fix. I bought the speakers (Royal 5As) for $20, knowing that the originals had CTS woofers and tweeters. On closer inspection, the woofers had been switched out with Radio Shack replacements, and one tweeter was toast. I...
  24. King Ludd

Do you still own gear you owned in the 70s

Some of the old gear I still listen to, I like because of old memories. I remember how my girlfriend's Altec Lansing 714 receiver used to sound at parties when we were just getting together; will never forget that sound, playing 10CC and Supertramp. Just had that receiver recapped, and it...
  25. King Ludd

Are sub-woofers lame?

Thanks Will try this. Since it is an old marantz, will wire the sub from the speaker terminals, then from the sub to the speakers. Good thing I have lots old speaker wire around!
Back
Top Bottom