Search results

1. beanoil

Why is it my stuff is junk and their junk is stuff?

Because one mans trash is another mans treasure. I watch that show Hoarders and see stuff I need.
  2. beanoil

Daphile....nice!

Daphile is nice, likely the best sounding free software for the application. but I find some difficulties with it. I've gotten it to work, with the most success from having a wired network connection from the Daphile box to a wireless router, and have that be the interface for either access...
  3. beanoil

This used vehicle bonanza is fer real

Bought an F250 diesel from Enterprise Car Sales, current year, in spring 2016. Drove it 5 years. Traded for a 21 F350 dually a year ago, December 26, to tow the new 5th wheel. Made 1000 dollars on trade in. Nuts what they ask for and get in the used market.
  4. beanoil

My kind of Beer for listening to Music

Oh my.... A nice petite Sarah and Cabernet could be just the thing for the start of a listening session. Pretty sure that could wind up migrating to the Romantic folder on the computer before it's over.....
  5. beanoil

My kind of Beer for listening to Music

Hamms is common here in the Midwest. Dirt Cheap carries it, about 14-15 dollars a 30 pack depending on week and market. Yes, many cans of Hamms have been recycled at my house. It depends on if Mama does the shopping or I do. She brings home Coors Light, I get Coors Banquet or a box of Hammers...
  6. beanoil

What was the the last audio-related item you purchased?

A very disappointing Monoprice tube amp that was returned, and added a set of KabelDirect RCA cables to get free Amazon shipping on my order. Hopefully the next entry into tubes won't let me down like that one did.
  7. beanoil

Original Mach 1 vs 80's Klipsch La Scala

I sold a lot of Mach1 speakers from 78-80 when I was a salesman at RS. Big A speakers, heavy boxes. Ordered many replacement woofers from the parts side for folks making their own subs or full speakers back in the day. One guy ordered 2 to add subs to a F Body Trans Am! I have a set of Klipsch...
  8. beanoil

BLACK….I think I’m pretty close

Wouldn't help me. I have a constant low level ring somewhere between the back of my head to my ears from too much exposure to noise in printing plants. But Black Sounds Matter so congrats on lowering your floor noise to non existent for you. No excuse now not to crank it to 11!
  9. beanoil

Friday Tunes

Alan Parsons Project: I Robot
  10. beanoil

Nobsound 6p1 Amp flaws/mods

Does the sub have speaker level inputs? Just run a set of lines from speaker out to sub input. No speaker inputs? Several adapters found from a quick Google search that take speaker level input and give you RCA out.
  11. beanoil

Realistic Nova 8b - speaker placement is EVERYTHING !

If it sounds good to you, congrats. Lots of "historical" literature seem to support your find, and personally, I've often wondered why hardware is placed in front of the listener, VS. behind. Yep, it's cool to look at the lights (and maybe bouncing needles), but the goal should be to hear, as...
  12. beanoil

Best sounding receiver of the vintage era

It's an open ended question that is relying on paradigm to answer. There is no one best, only the one best for your ears. I've got 2 Kenwood amps I love. Dynamic, clean, punchy. Both have been gone through. I've got an HK 330B. Love it too. A bit warmer and subdued compared to the Kenwoods. It's...
  13. beanoil

Buy Physical media and really support your favorite artist .

Gene Simmons talked about this subject way back in 2014... Simmons: "The culprits are the young fans. You killed the thing that you love. Because as soon as streaming came in, you took away a chance for the new great bands who are there in the shadows, who can't quit their day job because you...
  14. beanoil

Anyone with experience in feeling old?

61 here. On 40th birthday I woke up and said WTF is that? Been in some level of pain ever since. So... Do 3 things every day. Something for God. Something for someone else. Something for yourself. Everyday is an opportunity, and that is not a bottomless bucket. No one knows how much is left, so...
  15. beanoil

KG-4 crossover swap question

Agree, remove the passive and work from behind. I used Dayton caps and Crites Ti domes when I did mine. Warning, they are bright with the domes. If you are a purist, and leave tone controls flat, you may not dig them. I love 'em.
  16. beanoil

Monday Tunes

Might as well go for a soda Nobody hurts and nobody cries Might as well go for a soda Nobody drowns and nobody dies
  17. beanoil

The old Chrysler "Lean Burn" 318

With no emissions test: I suggest FiTech EFI, an HEI distributor and some exhaust bent up with a couple of Hooker Aero Chambers. EFI will be one and done with very good cold start and driveability, the distributor eliminates a lot of wiring and is more accurate. The Aero Chambers are quiet at...
  18. beanoil

Monoprice IIIP 25 w/Ch TUBE Amp fix

I purchased one. They are down to 104. Unboxed, setup, cute little thing. I was going to drive a pair of desktops on the computer desk. Horrible. Audible distortion and "chop" (think pixelated digital TV for your ears) even at lowest volumes, and gets worse as volume goes up to listening level...
  19. beanoil

Mini PC for music play back?

Agree 110%. Win 10 is the FatBastard of OS. About 55GB. I started with an 80 in the main system, quickly moving to a 240. The 80 was full with OS, dbPoweramp, JRiver, Perfect Tunes, and a few other vitals. SSD prices are down: the 240 was 27.99 at Amazon. Kingston. Linux Peppermint is super...
  20. beanoil

Schiit Fans ?

I own a Modi, and a Fulla. Both quality products that do what they say they will, and won't break the bank. I haven't had any high end Schitt though.
  21. beanoil

Mini PC for music play back?

So many ways to do this today. Fortunately I have access to a stupid amount of low or no cost hardware. My main system is a Dell 7010, 16GB ram, 256GB SSD for OS (Win 10) and JRiver, 2TB storage. dbPoweramp for rip. Second system, mini Dell XE2, 16GB ram 1TB drive, (Win 10, Fidelizer), JRiver...
  22. beanoil

Interconnects, power cable and speaker wire for vintage lo fi set up?

You can experiment, and that is half the fun, with other cabling. Look around, you'll always find interconnects being closed out somewhere. I've settled on what's in my signature, and was surprised, but honestly heard a difference when I spent an afternoon making the White Lightning speaker leads.
  23. beanoil

Interesting cooling solution for stacking components.

Spot on. Look in any computer tower that has run for a few months. Filthy pigs on the inside. Electronics naturally gather dust. Forced air gathers 100 times faster. I've always stacked gear, but made sure there was space between, and the warmest unit on top.
  24. beanoil

Repair/servicing vintage audio - recommendations

Our own rbuckner is great. I've had 2 done by him, Marantz and HK. His care, procedure and professional, friendly attitude make him a winner in all respects. Wargo's, a sponsor on the home page, is very good as well, leaning more toward repair and function vs. total restore.
  25. beanoil

Happy Christmas, All! What music are you listening to?

Pentatonix and Straight No Chaser have been in the Christmas rotation frequently this year at home. The classics: Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Beach Boys, have all made appearances. Blake and Reba have visited. It's been nice so far. A cool yule to all!
Back
Top Bottom