Search results

1. beanoil

Devil in the details

Reading back through posts in this forum, I see the progression of folks putting together PC's to serve up or play music. That dust has settled out for the most part, the software and processes for loading Linux or Windows is fairly well documented and straight forward. The selections for music...
  2. beanoil

rbuckner, a man you can trust

To all, I had the extreme pleasure of recently dealing with rbuckner. I was on his wait list for some time, but it was worth every day. My daughter is special needs, and without giving a lot of detail, she really can't do anything for herself. She loves music though, (just like her Dad), and...
  3. beanoil

Commitment or Crazy...

Either way, he sure has quite a sum wrapped up in his system. Might have been cheaper to book Queen for a concert. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/power-trip-japanese-audiophiles-go-to-extremes-to-get-pure-energy-2016-08-14?mod=latestnews
  4. beanoil

Paid it forward today...

Finally picked up my reveneered Klipsch KG-4 today. Earlier this year, my friend at work and I were talking music, and stereo, and wives, and drinks, and more stereo. He mentioned he had a set of KG-4's from when he was in the military. "They have been in my buddies basement, well forever... you...
  5. beanoil

Work in progress

Got these KG4 from a friend at work last fall. Slowly, as funds and time allow, bringing them back to life. There was a big water stain on one. Why did everyone in the seventies use their speakers as plant stands? The other was in better shape, but dirty and faded. I had the work done locally, I...
  6. beanoil

DIY, sort of

Lovely spouse and I moved some furniture, and equipment around. I relocated my KA-3500 to the bedroom, along with a Blu-Ray and a Sony flatscreen. The Sony is remote controlled, the cable box and Blu-Ray are also, leaving the KA with no remote for power. I found a "smart" power strip at Home...
  7. beanoil

KG-4

A good friend of mine and I were chatting about 2 weeks ago. The conversation turned to music, then when to listen to music, then parties... He said he had a set of KG-4's in storage at a friends house. Good party speakers, he doesn't use them, been stored for years. LSS, he offered, I took...
  8. beanoil

Rewiring RCA cables/shielded cable prep

Just sharing info here. I replaced the RCA cables on my Dual 1264 yesterday when I recapped it,( http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40797) using BJC cables Belden 1505. I originally ordered the BJC LC-1, but they recommended against that. "The last thing you want to do is solder...
  9. beanoil

Stand up and be counted...

Rant on: Ordered a set of Definitive Technology stands from a seller on that auction site. I paid, he shipped... Fed-Ex man pulls up, rushes the driveway, drops the package, hits the bell and books. I don't even make it to the door before he is around the corner. A crushed box is laying on my...
  10. beanoil

Tuner repair

We have AK members EchoWars and rbuckner for our precious amps. Who does tuner repairs? Any recommendations from the members here for quality repair and service of a Kenwood KT-4007? Or should I look for another unit....
  11. beanoil

Simple Bedroom System

Old school... Daughters bedroom. Infinity Reference One's, with refoamed woofers courtesy of AK sponsor Simply Speakers, and recapped crossovers with audio grade polys from PE. These set on a pair of Furniture Works International stands. Marantz 2220, and (EEEKS!) Monster Cable wire. Just radio...
  12. beanoil

Hoping for homeostasis

Avid Kenwood lover picking up his first Marantz today...a 2220. Will the Kenny's react violently and begin having scratchy pots, and output issues? Will the Marantz rise up Terminator style, and take out the Kenny platoon? News at 11. Seriously, a good friend and his wife are having a baby, and...
  13. beanoil

KA-3500. Long Post, and Long Overdue

I've posted about my Kenny KA-3500 several times. I love the little thing, quite a powerhouse for it's size. Beginning to show it's age, I contacted our resident expert (by every measurable method), EchoWars. A few e-mails were exchanged, and the amp was shipped to him last October. The amp was...
  14. beanoil

Basic Music Playback/Organization

I'm interested in this technology, and have done a fair amount of research. I've tried VortexBox, but could never get control of the unit through a Win 7 laptop, or my Win 8.1 tablet. I tried OpenElec, and could never get it to download artwork, and again there were several control issues with...
  15. beanoil

Speaker ? Moving drivers to another box

If one would take a current set of drivers, woofer, tweeter and crossover and simply move them to a slightly larger box, say from a .25 cubic foot to a .38 cubic foot, what would the disadvantages be? Is there a program somewhere that can predict the results? Anyone with some personal experience?
  16. beanoil

KA-8006 Observations and a service review

A good day at the homestead here. The KA-8006 I bought at that auction site back in August is finally playing. I bought it not working, and the seller was convinced it was a power supply problem. I found that is a common problem, but can be repaired. When it arrived, I was convinced it was a...
  17. beanoil

Up for a joke?

A fleeing terrorist, desperate for water, was plodding through the desert when he saw something far off in the distance. Hoping to find water, he hurried toward the mirage, only to find a very frail little old man standing at a small makeshift display rack - selling ties. The terrorist asked...
  18. beanoil

CR-440 Relamp

I found a CR-440 at an antique store about 3 weeks ago. Went back the next week, it was still there, so I brought the poor thing home. eBay units were running 60 to over 100 with shipping, I don't think I got hurt for the 60 I paid. Got it home, and opened it up. Dusty, but all original as far...
  19. beanoil

World Series

I'm a big Cardinals fan but I have to say that this years WS is very exciting with SF and KC in it. Both teams are playing excellent ball, the entertainment factor is off the charts! Both cities should be proud of their ballclubs.
  20. beanoil

Another Source for Parts

I've seen lots of references to Mouser and Digi-Key. I've not seen any for these guys...electronicsurplus.com . No association, just trying to help someone find what they need to keep their equipment alive. They have a pretty good selection of power switches.
  21. beanoil

KR4070- made a good 1 from 2 units

Thanks for the inspiration fellow AK cats... I've had a KR4070 for a number of years, and was not very careful with it in my youth. It's bruised and beat up, and in generally poor shape. The power switch gave up long ago, and it's been turned on and off by a power strip for a long time. The...
  22. beanoil

Capacitor choice

If all the specs are the same, does brand name make a large difference, or is it more " hey this is what I use, so it's the best" talk? I'm browsing caps on Digikey, and there are 3 caps that meet my size and uf rating. The choice is Panasonic, or Cornell Doublier. Any opinions? Thanks...
  23. beanoil

BJC Speaker Wire

Just a comment on Blue Jean Cables.. I ordered 100 feet of BJC white 12 on Saturday last week, as well as banana plugs. The package arrived on Wednesday, pretty doggone quick from Washington state to Illinois. The cable was pretty easy to work with, 2 40 foot runs from the back of the...
  24. beanoil

Craigslist Lost

So many CL find threads, here is a miss. Literally by 2 minutes, a California Audio Labs Tercet for 40. Hope it was an AK member, and he keeps it...Story of my life....
  25. beanoil

Repair/Restore Services

How does one go about finding a good place or person? I've got a soft spot for Kenwood, and a couple of pieces of gear that need attention. While I can solder, and I'm excellent at troubleshooting to board level at work, when I open the case of my KR-4070, or the KT-5500 and realize that there...
Back
Top Bottom