Search results

1. WaynerN

What flavor of AR2's are these?

The mids do not have a band-pass filter on them (a capacitor to allow HF thru, a coil to block HF (it needs to run form 2,000 cps to 7500cps). Needs to play at 2,000 cps and stop playing at 7500 cps. That is why they used mechanical means to limit the top end of the mid so that it would not play...
  2. WaynerN

Audioquest PT-6 Problem

You never send a TT with the platter on, the counterweight on. They always get damaged.
  3. WaynerN

Has anyone built their own component stand or shelving?

One of mine is made from an old walnut coffee table that I bought at a garage sale. Some day, I will install all of my vintage Marantz stuff into it (3300, 240, 115B).
  4. WaynerN

SL1200mk2 - New Cartridge or Fluid Damper?

Doesn't hum on mine.
  5. WaynerN

The greatest collectors of Acoustic Research

I have a pair of AR-3, AR-2ax and AR-4x in my collection. The 3's mid and tweeter and the 2ax tweeter have been rebuilt by Larry at Vintage AR. That will probably be the end of the collection for me as I have no more room to place more speakers.
  6. WaynerN

6.3 volt 35 ma lamp source? Setton RS 660 receiver

Look for 8 volt lamps. They will be ionly slightly dimmer than the original, but last for decades. Marantz (vintage) used 8 volt on the 605 volt lamping rail.
  7. WaynerN

Low cost DIY record cleaning machine....Phase 1

Audioquest Anti-Static Carbon Fiber brush. No moving parts, gets the records clean and static free.
  8. WaynerN

Cool tip for restoring AR3a pots

I've already done this and documented here on AK
  9. WaynerN

Veneer adhesive?

I use DAP's Weldwood contact cement with great results. Using a wood glue on paperbacked veneer has many experts claiming that if used on MDF, the wood glue will not dry in the center areas because air simply can't get at it to cure it.
  10. WaynerN

Can't set up antiskate correctly on a SME 3009 S2 Improved with Grado Gold Cartridge

My post was not rude, It was matter of fact.
  11. WaynerN

Tweeter protection

What speakers were the Morels in, a DIY thing? Perhaps the XO is too low and needs to be raised. Maybe you should fuse the tweeter or use a self resetting thermal cut-out or.....yes, reduce the position of the volume control. The $300 is like a fine for speeding. Lesson learned?
  12. WaynerN

CTs phenolic tweeters ?

I have a spare pair in a box (from PE) that are spares for my DLKs. They are a good sounding copy. Great price too. I believe they are made by GSH.
  13. WaynerN

Brush or Goop?

Brush only for stylus, anti-static carbon fiber brush for records, no fluids.....ever.
  14. WaynerN

Can't set up antiskate correctly on a SME 3009 S2 Improved with Grado Gold Cartridge

Styli are symmetrical, therefore the effects of different shapes is moot. In other words, it doesn't mattter. If it was such a big deal, turntable arms would have a feature on the AS control asking for what the sylus type is, but the dial just goes from 0 to whatever, never mentioning the need...
  15. WaynerN

Does it not disturb the "unbeliever" that in almost all cases, the blank disc came really, really close to the MFGR's recommended settings? And on a couple of tables, was right on the money. Now if it were to end up on 3 and it should have been at 1.5, then there would be concern, but when both...
  16. WaynerN

Anyone can write an article. Proves nothing.
  17. WaynerN

Then I guess my results are unexplainable. It's also funny how some people will deny results that clearly prove that their denials are baseless. I guess me and my blank disc(s) will carry on.
  18. WaynerN

Have you ever used one? Sorry, you are not going to change my mind or anyone elses that has successfully used a blank disc to set AS. It is an invaluable tool. Again to repeat with actual field results: Stylus wear is even and uniform. Stylus wear process is slowed way down (they simply last...
  19. WaynerN

It works perfectly, I've used it for decades and it is not "totally folly". Without it, one would not even know if their AS worked properly, especially on older decks. Its a great tool that every true vinylphile should have.
  20. WaynerN

It works and it works very well. Need to have the right material. Most of my 12 tables come pretty close to the recommended AS. The Sony X7 is right on, the Pioneer PL-71 is as well. Slightly more on the Technics 1200, 1210/. Stylus wear is even and improved, record damage is less.
  21. WaynerN

Vinyl wrapping speakers?

It's brushed on. Its not a spray paint.
  22. WaynerN

You have an arm and cartridge mis-match problem. The Grado likes slinky, willowy arms, not big massive MC type of arms. New arm or new cartridge is the solution.
  23. WaynerN

Vinyl wrapping speakers?

I bought some flood victim Empire Grenadier 6000s on the bay a couple of years ago that had horrible vinyl wrap. I removed that and in the end, decided to paint the MDF with some Benjamin Moore black pearl. They turned out awesome. 'ner
  24. WaynerN

DLK subwoofer

I'm in Minnesota and have the 1 and 1 1/2 models, both very minty. My 1 1/2s came up at a local garage sale for $5, with lots of light scratches on the walnut. 1/2 hour of sanding with my Dewalt and some tong oil by Watco brought the cabs to life. I'd also love a pair of 4s. Good luck with your...
  25. WaynerN

Life of a shibata

The wear and tear on any stylus is dependent on many factors. Condition of the record being played, the cleanliness of the record being played, VTF, VTA, AS and all of that stuff. I now run shibata exclusively here and have had great success with them and enjoy their detail retrieval. Perhaps...
Back
Top Bottom