Search results

1. WaynerN

Another DIY speaker pair....

These were designed last year, but I put them into a new improved box. 6.5" diameter Seas woofer, 1" Morel tweeter, XO'd at 3500. Rear ported. The tweeter features a JBL S109 Aquarius IV horn, the gives the mid/high end a 360° spread, ideal for surround duty. These will be used in the garage...
  2. WaynerN

New DIY speakers....

This was a winter project. It features an 8" woofer, 2" midrange and 1" tweeter. The XO points are 2,000 and 7,500 respectively. F3 is at 41Hz. Birch plywood inner structure, oak exterior. 6db XO on the woofer and tweeter, 12db on the midrange bottom. MIdrange also has a level control. All...
  3. WaynerN

Happy 50th birthday DSOTM

Will be playing it this afternoon..
  4. WaynerN

Vintage AR

After thinking about some advice from a fellow AKer. I decided to have my midrange and tweeters rebuilt by Larry at Vintage AR. The workmanship is A+ and the results are simply amazing. I have one set of tweeters to go from my early version AR-2ax and that will complete the lineup of AR-4x...
  5. WaynerN

Another pair of AR-2ax speakers in for overhaul....

I am doing an overhaul of my friend's ARs. He's the same guy I bought my 3s from that were out in the unheated/semi-open barn out at his farm. These were in another shed, in much better condition. The woofers, of course, were shot, so off they are at Midwest Speaker Repair in Minneapolis, total...
  6. WaynerN

Dynaco A25XL upgrade (easy)....

Took the screens off of the tweeters. I had to remove the tweeters from the cabinet, find washers that had the same thickness as the screen (to replace the screen's thickness when re-assembling. Just nice to have the screen out of the picture. I believe it adds to the already great imaging.
  7. WaynerN

Matching walnut finishes for AR, JBL, Marantz.......

A recent restoration project forced me to re-veneer a pair of AR 3 speakers. I did the usual tong oil (Watco dark walnut), but it ended up in a really brown walnut color that didn't match the rest of the AR line, In fact, the front bezel didn't match the body either, it had red component in it...
  8. WaynerN

At the end of the audio chain is now a balanced amp........

This summer, I built a Bang and Olufsen BTL ICE amp and used it in the garage system all summer. It has a balanced feed to the BTL input (required) to get full power out of the amplifier's mono block pair. That was accomplished using 2 Jensen 1:1 audio transformers that convert the unbalanced...
  9. WaynerN

Speaker setup.

Symmetry is the goal when setting up a speaker system, but as one would expect, there are very few listening rooms that are perfectly symmetrical. Some people promote the “Golden Rule” method (.6 : 1 : 1.6), but that method almost never works because of room geometry or things in the way of...
  10. WaynerN

Unbalanced to balanced converter box.

Built this box to be used in conjunction with the Bang & Olafson ice amp I built last year. I also modded that amp to include the XLR connections to feed the inputs of the board with balanced signal. Not much to the build, using 1:1 audio transformers. In the end, the amp produces some very nice...
  11. WaynerN

New ICE amp project.....

This project features the Bang and Olfson 50ASX2BTL amp boards. These boards are BTL boards so they need a balanced input to drive them correctly. Conversion of unbalanced to balanced was done internally with the use of 2 Jensen 1:1, 600/600 ohm audio transformers. The positive side would feed...
  12. WaynerN

Listening to the stereo and the central air......

Most hate external noise when listening to music and here at home, the AC unit has been annoying as of late. It also had trouble at any setting below 76° F. At about 3:00 PM (vinyl time) the system would run pretty much continuously, so a call to the local plumber was made. I have several...
  13. WaynerN

Three (or more) speaker stereo.......

I have been listening to the David Hafler "surround" for a number of years in the past, so I guess I've had an interest in something beyond the usual 2 speaker stereo. My vinyl room has 5 systems in it and my current vinyl playback system has an AVA preamp, Sony ES power amp for the mains, AVA...
  14. WaynerN

Alan White of Yes fame dies at 72.

Just saw this on Facebook. RIP.
  15. WaynerN

AR screw to banana adaptor (easy DIY)

Made these this afternoon. Went to ACE hardware and found some #8 brass knurled nuts, a plumbing fitting (its a tube with one flared end) and some 1/2" brass bar stock. Got the good old Weller 140 watt soldering iron out, tinned the top surface of the nut, dropped on the brass tube and get it an...
  16. WaynerN

AR level control repair/restore......

I been waiting for my new level controls to arrive from Vintage AR but decided to perform an autopsy on one of them. I have successfully restored 6 of these so far, but the ones that came in my new AR-3s were very bad, even after cleaning. I think much of the green patina has come about due to...
  17. WaynerN

Barnwood rebuilder..........

A friend of mine had these AR 3 speakers in his unheated, very vented utility barn for many, many years. I've known about them for around 3 years. Last Tuesday, I gave him a couple of Bens and loaded them into my F150. The task at hand: After some internal debate, I decided to cut-off the...
  18. WaynerN

New build, phono preamplifier MM and MC.....

I talked to Frank Van Alstine (former employer) and he let me have a VisionQ phono preamp board, so I built this into one of my wood cabinets. The preamp has provisions for MM or MC cartridges and is adjustable via internal dip switches for MM or MC plus the MC has 3 gain settins - 54, 60, and...
  19. WaynerN

Drank the full range Kool-Aid.....

Bought a set of Dayton Audio 6 1/2" full range drivers from PE and just finished them this morning. Did a little walnut veneer on the aspen cabinet. Went with 504.25 cu. in. volume, 2" diameter X 4" long rear port (located at the top). Box is about not quite half full with Acouststuff, and cork...
  20. WaynerN

New Music Hall Stealth direct drive TT

Caught this while reading my new Absolute Pound audio magazine this morning. Of course, there does not appear to be any stock yet. The DD does 33,45 and 78 which may interest some folks. Removable head shell and VTA on the fly, along with a nice price may make this a great starter table....or...
  21. WaynerN

Where did this thread go?

JBL Studio 590's are at the lowest price they've ever been... | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
  22. WaynerN

DIY Static Discharge Surface

This winter, many have complained about static discharge and the effects that has on equipment, especially in the area of viny. Today, I finished my second one (can't find the first one), so here it is. Components: The chrome disc surface is actually a magnet surrounded by a chromed steel...
  23. WaynerN

SVS Soundpath

Came across this product a while ago so I made a purchase. It finally got here (thanks to mother nature's snowstorm) the other day and yesterday I did some auditioning. I connected the transmitter portion to one of my DIY VU meters that is connected to my dedicated vinyl system as it has an...
  24. WaynerN

Went to the VFW for a steak fry last night...........

We were well behaved (too cold (-15)), arrived home via our local taxi at around 10:30pm. Got up at 2:00am to take a wiz and it seemed a tad cool in the house. Yep, you guessed it, furnace is out. 15 below, New Year's Eve, I don't have a space heater (that will change today). SCREWED! House is...
  25. WaynerN

Ice amp now complete.....

Built this amp in the last week or so to mate with my new active/passive preamp. Ice amps are a product from Bang and Olufson and are class D by nature. These boards run off of 120 volts (in the US) so there is no need for a power supply, but do require the mating cabling accessories to hook...
Back
Top Bottom