Search results

1. DEAFASABAT

Wanting to try JBLs - suggestions please!

Surprisingly, no mention of the awesome and very musical 4343. I can't see (hear?) how a properly restored set could ever disappoint.
  2. DEAFASABAT

Alternatives to old school receiver main/pre jumper wires?

He just wants to test it, so short RCA cables is all that is needed. KISS
  3. DEAFASABAT

How do you all deal with replacing classic 4-lug volume pots?

Here is a scheme. You might have to twiddle around with some values to make it work with a 250K pot, but that should be relatively easy. Other than the buildout resistor from the previous stage, there are just 2 resistors, 1 cap. Gang 2 of the switch is for the second channel.
  4. DEAFASABAT

Simple electrical question.

But, If your equipment uses a detachable IEC cord, modifying a shielded version of the cord to disconnect its shield at the plug end leaves your equipment UL unscathed. But as mentioned earlier, would it improve your equipment / system's sound? Maybe. Maybe not.
  5. DEAFASABAT

Phase Linear Model 300 cosmetic repair

What printing is on the top cover plate? Yes, I would go wrinkle. Haven't seen much sold in rattle cans the past three or four decades, the Methylene Chlorine restriction bit, you know. Omg, if the chemically squeamish types only realized the peril of a lifetime exposure to Dihydrogen Monoxide !
  6. DEAFASABAT

Simple electrical question.

In this configuration, the shield would provide a level of rejection of noise otherwise induced into the unshielded cord itself over its length. To use it you would connect the shield only to the chassis of the component it supplies power to, and not at the plug end. This scheme allows the...
  7. DEAFASABAT

JBL 4410 - non-mirror-imaged sets?

You must have either two 4410L's, or two 4410R's. I've had the 4410's and 4412's. The 4410's gave superb imaging, but I could never get the 4412's to image well. I think the 10's were also less critical as to their placement in a room. Great for near field and reasonable distance mid field.
  8. DEAFASABAT

JBL 4311 questions

The ports in 4310's had an angled bend that made its inside opening sit close to the woofer's cone, near the outer frame. Not sure if the 4311's had those, but I'm pretty sure at least the earliest production L-100's did. Anyone know what the advantage of this feature may have been?
  9. DEAFASABAT

Nominations for the Worst Designed Audio Components

Are you sure it was designed for the Montreal Olympics? More like the Mission Impossible teams...
  10. DEAFASABAT

Nominations for the Worst Designed Audio Components

A guy at work had a preamp made by ESS. They were around $300 back then in 1976. ( 2023 = $1,577.35). He let me borrow it for exactly one weekend which was as long as I could tolerate it. It was the most one dimensional, dead and dull sounding component imaginable. Cheesy plastic faceplate with...
  11. DEAFASABAT

AM "Radio Wiring" in Old Dwellings

You shouldn't have to rely on early 20th century receptacles and plugs to bring antenna and ground connductors to the room. The single gang sized plates with two binding posts intended for home theater use would work. Or for a puzzling retro effect, do you remember the plates and plugs made for...
  12. DEAFASABAT

I've never seen the plug, but to use one of the "Radio" outlets I pulled the blades out of an unused 20 amp plug and pushed them in. The house was 1930's vintage, and the radio outlets were put in during its construction. They were the type on the left. The outlets were a necessity for AM...
  13. DEAFASABAT

I lived in a 1932 built house in New Jersey as a kid. The first time I saw the place I was just six, and marveled at the sight of a truck feeding coal through a chute into the basement. The boiler was also upgraded to oil burning, but I also recall prior to that, one shovelful of coal put in the...
  14. DEAFASABAT

That "silverfish" looking romex sure had a lot of paper inside it. I've encountered that type without a grounding conductor, and some with a minuscule grounding conductor that looks like about a 20 AWG size and will break off if you look at it the wrong way. Another wonderful feature of this...
  15. DEAFASABAT

That black steel conduit pipe may have originated as gas piping that fed a gas lamp. That was how some of the earliest wiring was installed, pulled through the old gas pipes. I worked on an old farmhouse back in 1991 that read like a history of electrical wiring methods. Cotton insulated wire...
  16. DEAFASABAT

I rented a house built in the 1930's which had two antenna connections in the living room, one on each wall to the left and right of the fireplace. The configuration of the receptacles was the oddball half of this one, but no power half. This one is marked "aerial" and "power". I examined one...
  17. DEAFASABAT

Old style fast blow house fuses no longer made?

I think that is an old 30 amp, 120V / 240 V split phase service. Regarding the fuse ratings, this type service has a 30 amp fuse in each of the mains lines from the meter, and 15 amp or 20 amp fuses for branch circuits, depending on their wire size. Is it the pull-out cartridge fuses you need...
  18. DEAFASABAT

A devious music plan

Thanks for responding. I am not the Muzak Police, so my post was more of a cautionary tale so others might understand something of the complexities that are involved with the distribution of licensed materials. Where I live, two local entertainment spots that hired live bands were injuncted from...
  19. DEAFASABAT

Good Amp For L100 Century?

Unfavorable room interactions. Get them away from the walls (experiment) and up on stands. Also, listening to them In the near field can produce amazing soundstage and imaging. They are simply 4310 pro monitors with weird grilles, so their near field performance is not surprising.
  20. DEAFASABAT

Something growing in cleaning fluid bottle

It's almost certainly the Dreaded Muhungus strain, DO NOT OPEN THE BOTTLE!
  21. DEAFASABAT

A devious music plan

Hmmm... I didn't know that YouTube had licensing contracts to legally provide background music such as services like Muzak Inc. does. This means that any content presented in a commercial setting has to have the mechanical royalty fees paid to BMI, ASCAP, SESAC, etc. If those places are just...
  22. DEAFASABAT

A devious music plan

I know the feeling. I worked in a department where we built one-off electronics equipment for the Air Force and installed it in the field. The union super seniority steward in the shop hunkered down in a corner and commanded the shop fm radio's choice of material, being of all things a...
  23. DEAFASABAT

A devious music plan

Don't forget to set the special sea & anchor detail, and to buy a few time squares on the anchor pool...
  24. DEAFASABAT

Anyone visit a Tokyo listening room?

I wonder if Kenrick has listening rooms? I was in Tokyo in 1973 when my ship had a port call at Yokosuka. About five of us in our shop actually decided to take a train there (one heck of an experience in itself) to partake of the first McDonald's opened in Japan. It was a walk-up about 6 feet...
  25. DEAFASABAT

Best speaker score under $100

Two Ampex 620 suitcase amplifiers with OEM Ampex spec JBL LE8 full range speakers, $100 from a guy at work, in 1998. As with so many pieces of genuine HiFi gear I had owned, I let them get away. Drat! Some people never learn.
Back
Top Bottom