Search results

1. Twanx

Modern day high elliptical tracking forces concern..

Are you basing this opinion solely on the article above or have you noted specific damages in your experience? Not trying to refute you at all in any way but it seems that the article itself casts doubt on your assertions. You’ve said that the photos of 1 - 50 plays look “really bad” “big...
  2. Twanx

Turntable differences.

Those turntables have their differences and so do those cartridges. I’ve owned or heard all of the gear you mentioned The D2 is a fine starter table but when you consider its mass, motor, and plasticky construction you can also see its short comings. I never liked that Shure cartridge...
  3. Twanx

Advice on polishing Empire bearing and replacing thrust plate

Any chance you still have some?!?!
  4. Twanx

replacing Clear Audio MM styli

thanks the dampening quality I am definitely interested in maintaining.
  5. Twanx

I’ve enjoyed the virtuoso with a conical stylus for many years now, my favorite is the AT replacement with the carbon fiber cantilever. Yesterday while trying to take the stylus off this happened ! I’m confident I can glue it back in securely and (hopefully) permanently. I didn’t think it...
  6. Twanx

Technics 1200 mk2 Tonearm pulls to rest

That had become my hunch as well. I loosened the top bearing by a small fraction of a turn and now the arm moves freely with no pull. Was sort of a last ditch effort against my better judgement but it worked. Will be looking for an arm swap down the line though.
  7. Twanx

I meant to mention that the wires are free and easy. It pulls to the right even with the bottom off and everything disassembled
  8. Twanx

Hello everyone. I’ve been trying to solve a tonearm issue with a 1200 a recently acquired. Basically the tone arm is biased hard to the right even with antiskate set to 0, so much so that when you set the stylus down it skates right off the side of the LP toward the rest. The turntable was...
  9. Twanx

Yes it does. It's such a basic stylus, costs $10. But I love it. Maybe someday I'll be able to find a nude or more exotic conical to try in the CA body. Would be an interesting experiment
  10. Twanx

To my ears, the Virtuoso + 710-D7 is still a totally winning combination. I no longer have the Marantz TT15S1, upgraded to a Technics 1200 w/Audiomods Classic. The new TT came with a Grado Statement Sonata and I greatly preferred the CA for my chosen materials which are 50's and 60's jazz...
  11. Twanx

CLEANING VINYL - The AK compendium of fact, fiction and collective wisdom

No rinse is mostly in the name of saving time. I did dilute my solution quite a bit and still getting good results. Initially we upped the concentration because the liquid didn’t spread very well or penetrate the grooves at the low end of the recommended amount.
  12. Twanx

CLEANING VINYL - The AK compendium of fact, fiction and collective wisdom

Hey folks, wanted to see if anyone had any cons of cleaning records with Tergikleen or other Tergitol solutions. I own a record shop and we clean upwards of 80 to 100 records a week, and for the last few months we have been using Tergikleen, and in much higher concentration than the...
  13. Twanx

Calling all GTE/Sylvania's!

Bringing this thread back from the dead, I acquired (3) of the GTE 412. Initially I thought that two of the domed midranges were completely dead, so I ordered a pair on eBay. Later I realized that they were just disconnected inside, but played distorted when I reconnected them. The replacements...
  14. Twanx

JBL Dorian? Need advice

Sorry I've been away, I really appreciate the input here. It's true, I am interested in the JBL sound as I mentioned most of my listening is vintage jazz LPs (from the 50's & 60's). It seems that many jazz collectors that are in deep (especially if they live in Asia) have vintage JBL or Tannoy...
  15. Twanx

JBL Dorian? Need advice

Hey guys, A friend of mine is a furniture dealer and through one of his contacts he found a gentleman with this set of JBL: I think they must be JBL "Dorian" or some variant, any guesses? I have been VERY curious about vintage JBL and would love to spend some time with a pair. Most of my...
  16. Twanx

I have always purchased my Pfanstiehl 710-D7 stylii from "needledaddy1" on eBay. No affil. of course. Never had any issues with any of the tips I've tried staying snug in the CA body between that or any of the LP Gear options I tried
  17. Twanx

Fantastic! Nice work. I'm excited to hear your impression and comparison of the conical and other tips. Did you mention what turntable you are running it on? My Virtuoso came with the Marantz/Clearaudio TT15
  18. Twanx

It's hard to remember...I'm on about my 8th 710-D7 at this point and my system has changed a bit. I want to say the vividline had more fine details on some recordings, but I do distinctly remember being impressed when I switched over to conical for the first time. It just felt so full and right...
  19. Twanx

I love the 710-D7 conical in my Virtuoso. It's all I use as my collection is a majority 50s-60's jazz LPs. But It can play audiophile pieces and quality Japanese presses just as well!
  20. Twanx

B&W Bowers Wilkins CM Series S2 tweeter replacement with pictures

The wires will pull off with some effort and the tweeter is free! See the famous Nautilus tube: Old: noticed the rubber had become cracked, but I don't think it was the source of any audible issue New: At this point I took the metal mesh off the old and put it on the new. You can then...
  21. Twanx

This is where I got stumped. I thought the next step would be to remove the metal mesh with the magnet like so .. This is NOT necessary. I wish I would have known this and I would have saved myself a lot of time and stress. What I did was try and pry right at the edge of the trim. In the...
  22. Twanx

Hey all, Recently I came into a pair of B&W CM5 S2 bookshelf speakers for well below retail and below the dealer price for that matter. It was a score! I was super stoked until I noticed that one of the tweeters had distortion in peaks that was especially noticable when listening to trio or...
  23. Twanx

Replacement tweeter for Technics L300 speaker

Holy crap. Thanks so much! I looked all over for one last week but this one popped up at just the right time
  24. Twanx

Ah, apologies. The picture of the back is really important and I mistakenly forgot to add it. It reads "EAS-14HD0SA" and it's an 8 ohm speaker. I'll see if I can find any of the crossover details online or try and get at the insides of the cabinet. Thanks!
  25. Twanx

Hey everyone, A friend and I recently found a pair of Technics L300 speakers, which seem to be fairly uncommon. The guy we bought them from was a power/volume freak and somehow managed to fry one of the horn tweeters. Heres what it looks like all taken apart: We took the 3 screws out...
Back
Top Bottom