Search results

1. Twanx

Technics 1200 mk2 Tonearm pulls to rest

Hello everyone. I’ve been trying to solve a tonearm issue with a 1200 a recently acquired. Basically the tone arm is biased hard to the right even with antiskate set to 0, so much so that when you set the stylus down it skates right off the side of the LP toward the rest. The turntable was...
  2. Twanx

JBL Dorian? Need advice

Hey guys, A friend of mine is a furniture dealer and through one of his contacts he found a gentleman with this set of JBL: I think they must be JBL "Dorian" or some variant, any guesses? I have been VERY curious about vintage JBL and would love to spend some time with a pair. Most of my...
  3. Twanx

B&W Bowers Wilkins CM Series S2 tweeter replacement with pictures

Hey all, Recently I came into a pair of B&W CM5 S2 bookshelf speakers for well below retail and below the dealer price for that matter. It was a score! I was super stoked until I noticed that one of the tweeters had distortion in peaks that was especially noticable when listening to trio or...
  4. Twanx

Replacement tweeter for Technics L300 speaker

Hey everyone, A friend and I recently found a pair of Technics L300 speakers, which seem to be fairly uncommon. The guy we bought them from was a power/volume freak and somehow managed to fry one of the horn tweeters. Heres what it looks like all taken apart: We took the 3 screws out...
  5. Twanx

Freshly picked AR XB, always wanted one!!

Hey guys! It's been years since I've gotten a new piece of gear that I was so excited about. I have always wanted one of these AR turntables after seeing the fantastic examples on this site. A few weeks ago I noticed an AR XB at my local Goodwill. This location has a "Reboot' inside, which...
  6. Twanx

Modern Dilemma- Rotel RA-1570 and Mono LPs

Hello everyone, I have a little story to tell and a question. I collect original jazz LPs. Many of them are mono, and I am no stranger to purchasing lesser (but still very listenable) grades of very collectible albums. In the past I have had mono switches on my amps but my Rotel integrated is...
  7. Twanx

2 Channel, a Turntable, and a TV (Oppo HA-1)

I need some advice guys.. Currently I have two setups, an all analog setup at my house for spinning vinyl, and a 2channel AV setup for tv at my girlfriend's house. We will be moving in together at the end of the summer and I was unable to secure an apartment for us with a separate room for my...
  8. Twanx

Dust in grooves after play

I'm confused. Recently I had an issue with a cheap record cleaning fluid leaving a residue that my stylus would turn into fine dust after play. Learned my lesson there- buy the good stuff. I have noticed since, because I have been inspecting, that ALL records I play have small bits of very...
  9. Twanx

Cleaning residue or record wear?

Little bit confused here, I noticed today that after playing about half a track of a 6eye mono album and a small section of a late 50's jazz Lp that my freshly cleaned LP's had sections of white dust in the played area....first thought was damage but the 80's ECM record I had listened to before...
  10. Twanx

Des Moines, IA AKers. JBLs at goodwill.

Hey guys. Seen a pair of JBL LX22s in fine shape with decent foams at the Goodwill on Mills Civic PKWY. 11.99 for the set. I have enough speakers ATM. Have at em! If anyone wants me to grab em and hold em for ya let me know, I could do that as well
  11. Twanx

NAD C 275BEE with PSB Stratus Golds? New NAD/old PSB

I have an opportunity through an accommodation program at my work to purchase NAD products for a very nice price. I have been wanting to update my power amplification for some time now. The POA I have is fantastic but it seems like it is holding something back..(some say the POA restricts...
  12. Twanx

Velodyne Subwoofer score(need help)

Was at goodwill today, scored a Velodyne SPL 12BV subwoofer and a pair of NHT Model 2.1 speakers all sold as a set for 59.99. The NHT's mids need refoamed, and I knew that going in. The sub is good condition, no real marks on it. Get it all home, hook the sub up every different way(pre-outs...
  13. Twanx

Thanks 4Play!

Tim was a pleasure to do business with! Our transaction went as he put it "smooth as silk" !! If they all could be this easy. Tim contacted me about my Emotiva XPS-1 and I believe our transaction was complete an hour later, I shipped it put with 5 o'clock mail. Perfect! Thanks for the...
  14. Twanx

Dabbling in Digital

WOW! Have been without any real form of file-based music for a few years now(no computer!) Recently had a wild hair and decided to hook my girlfriend's computer up to my TV set-up via HDMI. I also purchased a USB wireless keyboard. My TV set-up has been cobbled together from various pieces...
  15. Twanx

Eye-opening experience at the HIFI store

Went into one of my local hifi dealers a few days ago, Audio Video Logic here in West Des Moines, they deal mostly in super high dollar gear TAD, Krell, ARC, Mac. went in to see what preamps they had on hand for demo as I want to replace my NAD. I was especially curious to see how the...
  16. Twanx

Is my cartridge screwed?

I wasn't paying attention while cueing a record and bumped my tonearm, sending it bouncing and it landed on my spinning clever clamp. I panicked and pulled it off, now it seems the cantilever is very slightly bent left. I put on another record and it sounds the same as it did before..what...
  17. Twanx

Pulling the trigger on Marantz TT15S1

I'm a payday away (this Friday) from purchasing a new Marantz TT. I can get it for just under 1k new in box. I have done heaps of research on the thing and the consensus us that it provides an exceptional value for money, even at retail. Even so, I am just a little hesitant, because I have...
  18. Twanx

Want to build a DIY phono stage for LOMC's.

Hi all! I've been on Audiokarma for some time now ans I've always liked the idea of having a DIY phono stage, I've heard mention of lots of different ones that sound fantastic. My uncle and I are going to work together on building this-he understands the schematics and parts and I...
  19. Twanx

High Current Amplifier recommendation for PSB Stratus Golds

Hi guys! I've been researching on and off for a few months but I need a little help. Here's the deal: I have PSB Stratus Golds, 4 ohm speakers, "difficult" to drive, demanding. Right now I'm powering them with a Denon POA-1500 amp, at 200 wpc at 4 ohms. It sounds good, but I bet I can...
  20. Twanx

My PSB Stratus Golds are hungry.

HUNGRY FOR POWER. HIGH CURRENT POWER. I'm thinking it's about time I gave my babies the power they deserve, my Denon amp (200wpc @4ohms) does a great job overall but the bass bugs out once you near high levels. As far as I can tell, the amp can't keep up with the load which can drop to...
  21. Twanx

Bi-Wire? Bi-amp? Does this work? AQ cables

I haven't posted in a while, but I've lurked around, I've been really busy training and getting started at my new job as home theater/magnolia sales at my local Best Buy. I've also enjoyed the heck out of my system since I got my PSB's and haven't bought any audio gear since then! But now...
  22. Twanx

PSB stratus Gold i, a good buy?

I'm in the market to replace my aging Vandersteen 2c's, would these be an upgrade? I would definitely go listen before buying. They look awesome, and in fantastic condition. These are hard to find valuation on because I assume they are very heavy and seldom shipped. thanks! Edit...
  23. Twanx

Vandersteen 2c dilemma: eying possible upgrade

I've enjoyed my Vandersteen 2c's greatly since I got them for a good price last October, but I feel they are starting to have audible problems--one or both of the midranges distorts sometimes, Which might actually be an active coupler issue, and both woofers and at least one of the active...
  24. Twanx

Vintage cans find! need advice on some Realistic NOVA '20's

Found some cool headphones at a rummage..$1 each! I'm a headphone noob, and need a little help rehabbing these. First pair Ashidavox,no model? They look 60's. I like that they have a mono switch. They sound decent after a little deOxit in the control box, but the cups were rotten so I didn't...
  25. Twanx

Denon DL-301 mkII on Project Xpression III

The cartridge arrived yesterday! Thanks everyone for helping me choose a cart ,return a cart and choose another. I bought the Denon at discount as an "open box" item off of eBay. The package arrived in only a few days 100% as new. The packaging didn't have so much as a fingerprint on it...
Back
Top Bottom