Search results

1. E

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Measuring with my MM I get 12+ volts in DC as a spike when the board is powered off. That can't be safe. On my 2v DC setting it shows OL and I have to use the 20v setting to even measure it.
  2. E

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Or a better question, how does one determine if the popping is dangerous to the speakers?
  3. E

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

How does one mute the speakers coming off the amp?
  4. E

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

I got my sure Electronics AA-AB32191 2x300W TAS5630 with Meanwell power supply and I'm getting a pop when powering down. Any ideas what could cause that?
  5. E

My Home Audio always sounds like crap.... HELP!

This. I think you should try some different speakers. Wharfedale, B&W and focal all produce nice speakers for not a lot of money.
  6. E

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Very nice! I have decided to build a simple power amp using the Sure Electronics AA-AB32191 2x300W TAS5630 board from Parts Express with this power supply: Mean Well MW SE-450-36 36V 12.5A 450W AC/DC Switching Power Supply based on advice from the PA tech staff in trying to achieve 100-120w of...
  7. E

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

I apologize in advance, but I'm not following what you're trying to say. Or you are speaking of the low level from the Maverick DAC? That's encouraging if so.
  8. E

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Have you heard other's accounts of the SMSL reporting the same amount of Hiss? I can't seem to find others reporting the same findings about that amp, that doesn't mean they're not out there. I don't think a little hiss would even be heard with the noise floor in my home, lol. Big fish tank...
  9. E

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Hey all, I feel like Donnie from the Big Lebowski asking this question at the end of a 333 page thread, but I need some help. I have 86db 6ohm speakers in my system. My main amp of 17 years is always in the shop and I'm fed up with fixing it. I don't have a huge budget, which brings me to this...
  10. E

Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary, a non-professional review

Took the Plunge I just ordered a set of Denton's. Going to be driving them off of a Pioneer sx-990 in my office; very small room so hopefully this will be a good pairing.
  11. E

Need advice on watts

Listening position certainly has an effect, but it's not a deal where when I'm in the sweet spot, suddenly everything is great. I do believe that I may just be outgrowing these speakers, and for two possible reasons: A. They don't sound as good in my new room as they did in the old one. I'm a...
  12. E

Need advice on watts

Thanks for the replies! I'm not looking for "louder," I'm looking for presence in the room. And it most certainly has a lot to do with the room I'm sure. Got the speakers up on spikes this morning and that helps a lot. I've read here on this forum about people adding watts and how their...
  13. E

Need advice on watts

The room has 9' ceilings. I've played as much with positioning as possible, but these are fitting into a living room. They are split on either side of a fireplace, pulled out from the wall. Pretty decent positioning overall. The system just don't seem to have punch and dynamics like it used to...
  14. E

Need advice on watts

I recently moved and my system is in a bigger room than it's been in before. I've been very underwhelmed by the sound lately and I'm wondering if I need more watts to really hear what my speakers are capable of. Here is the rig: MavericAudio DAC-1 plus> Rotel ra1062 2x60w integrated amp>...
  15. E

Sudden Short EXTREMELY loud noise?

Be careful, I had a t-amp take out an irreplaceable driver out of an Acoustic Energy tower from a crazy noise that resulted from it being touched by someone with a decent build up of static electricity in them. They tried to change the volume, the static hit and sent the amp into some crazy...
  16. E

Pioneer SX-990 Center Channel plug

And, it sounds awesome driving a powered sub.
  17. E

Thank you very much!
  18. E

Am I missing something, I see that it says "center channel" in that diagram, but what signal is being output via that terminal? (I'm assuming/hoping it is just a mono feed.
  19. E

Can anyone tell me what signal is being output by the "center channel' out on this vintage receiver? Thanks in advance
  20. E

Interesting PONO Article

I cannot do better than 60%. I used a Jazz tune with lots of cymbal work for the test. When comparing the two directly I can hear the difference, in the blind I cannot do better than 60%. The mp3 was 256 VBR set at the "highest" quality. I suspect as the compression goes up so would my...
  21. E

Interesting PONO Article

Awe man, If I had that kind of time... Trust your ears, that's what my friend used to say a 100 times a discussion. And, I'm on a mac, do they even make Foobar for osX?
  22. E

Interesting PONO Article

Does anyone have any specific methods they use when trying to discern different file resolutions? I had some education from an engineer friend who used to make audio gear. Long story short, I listen to cymbals and focus on transients when trying to tell the difference between mp3 and 16bit 44.1...
  23. E

Topping TP20 Mk II T-Amp

I had one. One day I went to adjust the volume and it went into some sort of oscillation or something making a terrible screeching/distortion through my speakers. The result was a blown mid range driver on my Acoustic Energy Ageis III gen 1 speakers. That was the first and last t-amp I'll...
  24. E

Fostex FE126EN Build

I bet those will sound awesome once broken in.
  25. E

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Thank you very much! Does it matter where the port is placed? Also, Zilch's standard design notes say to use two ports, does this matter whether you achieve the 35 hz ysing two or one port?
Back
Top Bottom