Search results

1. J

Scott Speakers

My third set of Scott speaker, free leftovers at an estate sale. No one wanted them as the cases were a bit battered. All the drivers worked and they sounded good with a couple of newer receivers. Stripped the veneer, repaired the cases, and veneered them with real cherry veneer. Pretty, and...
  2. J

Scott Speakers

The grill slips under the molding and is held in place by foam strips along the edges that push it outward. You should be able to slip a putty knife or something like it under an edge and push it over and up. At least that's how the grills on my S-15s are put in.
  3. J

Scott Speakers

I was given another pair of Scott speakers, S-15s, that had been stored in a garage for a long time. They were dusty but cleaned up nicely. Like the earlier smaller Scotts, they are a solid box, with great sound from a three-way speaker. The grill cloth was still in good shape and I've been able...
  4. J

Assistance needed for Toshiba SR-230

I encountered the same problem with my SR-230. That long brass piece is the key--it lifts the tonearm up during half of the cycle. I ended up removing the one screw that held it in place, and with it out of the table bent the end tab up just a bit to push the tonearm up enough to clear the...
  5. J

Scott Speakers

Friend of mine just gave me a pair of HH Scott S6B bookshelf speakers to clean up. The cabinet is remarkably solid--some of the thickest veneer I've encountered, and the overall design is attractive, with a thin black band around the grill. The old grills had warped and the gold-thread cloth was...
  6. J

Paradigm Monitor 7 V2 Tweeter Blown . . . HELP!!!!

I was in the same boat--nothing available to replace the diaphragm, so I replaced the entire tweeter. Just posted a repair on another thread showing how I modified the mounting plate to take a $21 Peerless tweeter from Parts Express.
  7. J

Paradigm Mini Monitor Tweeters

Got the tweeters installed, listening to the speakers now. Subjective impression--sound good. Not louder than the woofers, crisp and clear. Spent about two hours with a dremel tool grinding out the mounting plate to fit the higher Peerless domes. Here is the original and the replacement. The...
  8. J

Paradigm Mini Monitor Tweeters

Seven years later I found this thread after purchasing a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitor V.2s. Unfortunately Paradigm no longer has the diaphragms in stock, and haven't been able to source a suitable replacement diaphragm. So I'm swapping out the Paradigm tweeters for a pair of Peerless by...
  9. J

Infinity Qe speakers

Thanks for the tips. I intuitively stayed away from the steel wool--used the chrome polish on a rag and they cleaned up nicely. I've picked up and turned over a number of speakers, but gave the Qe speakers to a customer who I had sold a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 7c's to. Shortly after he set...
  10. J

Infinity RS-4001

Attractive late 80s oak styling, but I may paint them black.
  11. J

Infinity RS-4001

Picked up a similar pair at the local SA store discounted to $18. Boxes were in great condition. Another $8 for some new foam surrounds, a day's work cleaning and gluing and they sound great. Nice crisp highs and mids, good tight bass. Really shine with classic jazz and symphonic music, but...
  12. J

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Crescendo CS3006s for $11.99 Got a pair of Infinity Crescendo CS3006 speakers in very good condition--had to wait three days to get the 20% senior discount. Total of 11.99. Just ordered a refoam kit, but even without they sound great in my garage (at low level of course.) All drivers check out.
  13. J

How many of you have a Nakamichi CD player?

Nakamichi CDC-200 5-Disc Player I picked up a very clean CDC-200 5-Disc Player at a local swap meet for $15 and am very happy with it. I didn't necessarily want a multi-disc player, but the output is very good, playing through a Marantz 2238B into vintage JBL speakers. I had a minor glitch when...
  14. J

Infinity Qe speakers

Sorry, picture did not come through on the last post.
  15. J

Infinity Qe speakers

Happy Listener I spent all day today veneering my second EPI 100 and listened to the Infinitys while I was working. Very pleased with my purchase. Here is a shot of one of them showing the typical damage to the box. I can peel off the vinyl and re-veneer the boxes if they are sound enough. From...
  16. J

Infinity Qe's $10!

Just picked up a pair at a thrift store as well--dusty and one pushed in dust cap, but solid enough cabinets and only $8 (with 5% discount for putting my name on an email list.) Took them home and I'm impressed with the sound. Will spend some time cleaning them and then put real wood veneer on...
  17. J

Infinity Qe speakers

Infinty Qe Picked up a working pair for $8 at a local thrift store. At first a bit put off by the ugly vinyl and brown grill cloth, but when I hooked them up to a small Sherwood receiver the sound is way bigger than the price. Much nicer overall than a newer set of Infinity SM-82s I am...
  18. J

Eber Electronics EE-80 speakers

Wonder if you've done anything else with these. I just picked up a pair of these at a local thrift store for $12. The veneer is pretty shot but I think I can re-veneer the boxes. The woofers and tweeters are in good order, and I've tested these with another thrift store fine--a Sansui AV unit...
Back
Top Bottom