Search results

1. MJB1959

Most reliable and long lasting amplifiers.

With the fact that I have had many issues with so many audio components, and having a forum of educated opinions from which to draw. What brands have the longest life expectancy, and are reliable, predictable, and are not prone self-destruction. My personal experience has been hit or miss, and...
  2. MJB1959

Mundorf speaker kit, anyone have experience??

https://audiosensibility.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Mundorf_Speaker_Kit_large.jpg Kind of intriguing option for a home build.
  3. MJB1959

In search of the perfect vintage tuner......

The quest continues, I just received a Sony FM-AM Program Tuner ST-242 purchased via daBay problem is that the tuner dial is frozen, and the knob can only advance the indicator forward, not backward. I have two NAD tuners a 4020 with a broken output RCA, and a NAD-4150 - that is...
  4. MJB1959

More ADS's, I had to.

It came to the point where I had become tired of looking. Between auction sites garage sale listings, Facebook, yes they have an ADS fanpage. Seeing what seems like a renewed fever for the brand, prices are now pretty close to the original new prices of a few decades past. So while looking for a...
  5. MJB1959

Getting everything fixed...

Having reliable backup components has proven to be an excellent choice for those times when things get old, broken, etc. I have a newer amp in for service, a problem that is well beyond my technical skills. But I fortunately had made a CList purchase over the summer, it is a Cambridge Audio...
  6. MJB1959

New to me Cambridge Audio system....

I needed a new system like another hole in the head((brain tumor survivor joke) However my CL browsing led me to a listing for an amp, and speakers for a great price. Being the seller was a few blocks away from my son's house, I asked if he could pick it up for me. He did, I already have a...
  7. MJB1959

ADS - L980's are you kidding me?

After having these speakers for some time, they have never ceased to amaze me, I am not sure what to say really, the realism and purity of sound is exactly what a speaker should sound like, listening now to Manu Katche - Neighborhood, a pure acoustic jazz masterpiece on ECM. There is a lot of...
  8. MJB1959

ADS speakers, adequate or even better replacement components??

So having a few sets of vintage speakers hanging around, I was really wondering if there are some after market woofers or tweeters/mids that would be more than adequate to replace the ageing components in these nearly 30-40 year old speakers. The set in particular I was wondering about are my...
  9. MJB1959

Lucky Day. !!

I have been retired for a year or so, maybe two, and have yet to develop any kind schedule, so resorting back to my post highschool days, I stay up late playing guitar, music, or watching a show. I slept in again today, and was awakened by my wife who was going to her moms. Were in Minnesota...
  10. MJB1959

ADS folks, restoration ideas wanted.

After recently buying a set of L520's. I was immediately impressed with the grade of finish on the speakers, in fact most of my speakers have great natural finishes. It got me thinking about a set of L620's I have had for some years now (they were a curbside find) the speakers sound great, but I...
  11. MJB1959

ADS again, I had to do it.

So not able to leave well enough alone, having 6 working pair of ADS speakers, I had to pull the trigger on a very nice set of L520, which was one on the radar I guess. This are in exquisite condition, like new is the best way to describe them. The seller was very cool, my age, and he had...
  12. MJB1959

ADS L400 and the aDs 400

I have a set each of these models, the aDs 400 is a fairly decent sized box with a dome tweeter and butylized woofer, the sound is very smooth and balanced, with adequate bass considering the size of the woofers. These must have been a Braun product, given the era of their release, they are...
  13. MJB1959

ADS - Instant speaker upgrade!

So like many others, I love my ADS' so much so, that I bought them a new friend, it's the new Cambridge Audio CXA80, this integrated is the perfect match for my L980 and L880 combo, seeing that everything name wise ends in an 80. Joking aside, I have been in want of a new and fresh sounding...
  14. MJB1959

Upgraditis, with wifes permission. Cambridge Audio CX series

Birthday time, and my wonderful wife asks me if I want anything, well?, I said, and started into some of my ongoing audio obsessions, which she has growm all to tired of hearing, I have been in want of a new amp since getting my ADS - L980 speakers refurbed. The Yamaha av R-V902 receiver my son...
  15. MJB1959

Philips MFB 532

Some of you may be familiar with these speakers, and the fact that Philips was a solid player in the 70's hifi scene, many of their vintage pieces are quite desirable, these speakers are one of the smaller 3 way versions of their Motional Feedback series, and while they are on the smaller size...
  16. MJB1959

Revisiting some a/d/s/ speakers from the backroom..surprised

OK, I am an admittedly addicted ADS fanboy. I have been spoiled with my refurbished L-980's and L880's. Also enjoy my other sets on various casual systems around the house. My M-12 towers which I bought a few years back have been in storage for a while since getting the L series speakers as they...
  17. MJB1959

Revisiting ADS L880, wow!

After getting the bug to have the drivers for my ADS - L980's updated, I have been settling in with my ADS-L880's. They are a much smaller cabinet volume wise than the L980, in fact they are smaller than the old L-810's I used to own, and my L620's (a two way) as well, but the company was doing...
  18. MJB1959

ADS L980 tweets and mids, off they go!! To Mr. So

All the talk in the ADS' threads of late, and I just couldn't hold off anymore. Like everyone else, I feel like I need to experience these speakers everyday I can. They are that alluring. And parting with 4 drivers caused a bit of anxiety, but off they go. The speakers on top of the L980 are...
  19. MJB1959

A good fit,NAD/ADS

A while back,I purchased the NAD D3020 mainly to experience the DAC features, I liked it enough to run in my main system, driving a pair of ADS L980, it may have seemed to be underpowered, but it did pretty good, cproblem was, is that I have 4 ADS speakers to push, and the NAD has only 2 speaker...
  20. MJB1959

Outside the CR, CA realm of Yamaha

I have am old Yamaha cr - 2040 that I bought brand new, it still functions as an integrated amp, but is in need of a full restore. I have other newer equipment now, yet recently, my son, who is 32, gave his "old" receiver to me, after he acquired some new gear. The receiver is a Yamaha R-V902. I...
  21. MJB1959

Speakers and Hearing..

I recently have had my hearing tested through work, and surprisingly, in the 30+ years of running chainsaws, wood chippers, and simply all around mechanical noise, my hearing is apparently stellar, and according to the on going graph, it has actually improved. I do swear by hearing protection...
  22. MJB1959

Verdict.NAD D 3020

So I was wanting to get into the DAC mode, and was considering many options, being my old amp was starting to buzz a bit, and my listening habits are more spent with the PC, I was looking at amps with built in DACs, the Yamaha AS801, the NAD 356Bee DAC, Peachtree Nova/Decco, Marantz PM-7005,were...
  23. MJB1959

Surprised by old Sony.

OK, so I have developed an irritating buzz from my old NAD 3150, and needed to replace it for a short while, I am either going to fix and/or get a new modern integrated. Pushing two pair of speakers, not at the same time, but take turns with them, one pair are the L-980, and the other are...
  24. MJB1959

Critical Listening with ADS Speakers

I feel very fortunate to have found a few nice sets of ADS speakers, and have given them the full on test for comparisons sake, at least for me, and maybe those that are interested. ADS L 610 - two way, 10" w, dome tweeter. large box, and older model. Nice two way, has a robust, relaxing...
  25. MJB1959

The Music or the Money?

What is it? I love reading some of the threads here, and man, some people have some excellent audio equipment, and excellent homes to go with it. Like a lot of audio enthusiasts, I want good gear, but with a budget in mind. A good friend of mine is a fully addicted audiophile, years ago, he...
Back
Top Bottom