Search results

1. MCM_Fan

Are there any “rack size” phono amplifiers on today’s market?

Parasound JC3-Jr 17" wide and comes in both black and silver.
  2. MCM_Fan

Not sure about getting a phono pre amp

He's talking about his Teac AVR. No mention of a phono input here. To the OP: unless your receiver has an input specifically labeled Phono, you NEED an external phono stage. Not only will your volume level be way too low, the signal to noise ratio will be horrible and the high and low...
  3. MCM_Fan

Pics of your listening space

Thanks for sharing the details and additional photos. I have sigs turned off, so I didn't see the equipment listed in your sig. Maybe I should turn them back on when browsing this thread. That Leben sure is a beauty!
  4. MCM_Fan

I LOVE the Tektons in natural wood veneer. The automotive finishes can be fun in the right setting, but for a living room, the natural wood veneer is more appropriate and downright beautiful. Good job! They look marvelous in your space.
  5. MCM_Fan

I'll never own that level of gear, but I'm still glad it exists for those who have the time and resources to enjoy it. Congrats on putting together such a great combination of gear. It bet it sounds amazing!
  6. MCM_Fan

You have a beautiful room with some stunning gear. Please share some more details. (i.e. make and model of turntable/tonearm/cartridge, what speakers are those, did you make or buy that beautiful equipment rack, etc.).
  7. MCM_Fan

Trashed JBL L36 Decade Restoration - I Need Your Help!

???? Are you referring to the L300 crossovers I built? If so, I assure you they are working beautifully and have been for over three and a half years. What makes you think there is a problem with the connections to the terminal block? They are connected to the wiring harness as shown in this...
  8. MCM_Fan

Phono preamp conundrum

I second the Darlington Labs MM-5, or if you can afford to spend $299, the MM-6. It's a very well designed, well made, great sounding phono stage.
  9. MCM_Fan

Just ordered my Van Halen MOFI One Step , anyone else going to?

I had it on pre-order, but canceled. Love the album, but it's not a $125 record for me. specially since I just picked up a sealed copy of the 2015 Chris Bellman/Bernie Grundman mastered re-issue that was pressed at Record Industry in The Netherlands. It's a great pressing and blows away my...
  10. MCM_Fan

Which new P-mounts are the go-to today?

Genuine ATN3472SE replacement stylii are available from both The Voice of Music and LP Gear.
  11. MCM_Fan

Technics SL-150 MK2 with Syntec S-220 Tonearm General Questions

@BillWojo and @adnick do you run the regular DL-103 or the DL-103R with your Syntec arm? Any mods to the cartridge?
  12. MCM_Fan

The only reference I can find for the DL-301 (non-Mk2) that mentions the recommended VTF is the Vinyl Engine Database. It lists the same recommended VTF for the original as for the Mk2 (1.2 - 1.6g). I assume that means the compliance is similar for both. It does list a lower output voltage...
  13. MCM_Fan

I already have a DL-301 Mk2 that I run on my Harman Kardon T60 with the ITO Microrace tonearm. I run it at the recommended VTF of 1.4g and find it a perfect match for 8g effective mass of that tonearm. The SL-150 Mk2 I bought with the Syntec S-220 I came from a broadcast studio with a Stanton...
  14. MCM_Fan

NOKTable turntable stand from Thomas O'Keefe

Unattractive, overpriced and for me, entirely impractical. The dimensions are only 17.5" wide x 13.75" deep x 18" high. That's too narrow for 2 of my 3 turntables (VPI HW19 Mk3, Yamaha PX2) and too shallow for all 3 (the 3rd being Harman Kardon T60), but the 18" height is a deal breaker (and...
  15. MCM_Fan

Can any turntable made in the past 30 years match the sound quality and durability of a table before the 1990s?

The new forum software has made the banner text at the top of the page unreadable. So, here it is for your benefit: NO ATTITUDE is a vital part of the agenda of this forum.
  16. MCM_Fan

Can any turntable made in the past 30 years match the sound quality and durability of a table before the 1990s?

For me, nostalgia definitely plays a role. When I was in high school, in the mid-late 1970s, I only bought 8-track tapes. I lived in a remote area and had to drive 10 miles to get anywhere. I only had about twenty 8-tracks and listened to them daily. The summer before my freshman year of...
  17. MCM_Fan

Your $750 estimate is in line with the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics CPI Inflation calculator ($200 on January, 1980 has the same buying power as $781.82 in May, 2023). My newest table is a 31-yeat old VPI HW-19 Mk3. I purchased it in November of 2019 for $850. However, that purchase...
  18. MCM_Fan

And you assume the current Technics SL-1000RE-S reference class isn't? Based on what? You certainly haven't done a side-by-side comparison. I suspect you didn't even know Technics still made turntables of this caliber. And this is just one example that completely shoots down your entire premise.
  19. MCM_Fan

So, you've actually directly compared the current Technics SL-1000RE-S reference class to a 50-year old Technics and found the SL-1000RE-S to be an inferior performer? In what way?
  20. MCM_Fan

There were many more good performing affordable options back in the "good old days", but higher end tables of today can easily keep up with the best of the pre-1990 era in terms of both performance and reliability. It's an interesting cut off date for me personally. My current "best" table is...
  21. MCM_Fan

Finally dove into the MC pool... WOW

Well, that's an assumption on your part, and since the the name of the bird is not a proper noun, it should not be capitalized. Your incorrect usage led me to believe you were talking about an ice cream bar.
  22. MCM_Fan

The cartridge is labeled Stanton 500. The stylus is the D7AL (0.7 mil conical, VTF = 3 - 7g). I also have a second Stanton 500 cartridge with a DE stylus (0.4 x - 0.7 mil elliptical, VTF = 2 - 5g).
  23. MCM_Fan

Thanks! The table came with a Stanton 500 installed. I moved it from the stock headshell to my Orsonic AV-1 and added a 3g weight to simulate the weight of a Denon DL-103 just to see if I could still get the arm to balance and track at 2.5g (again, simulating the DL-103). It all seems to work...
  24. MCM_Fan

According to syntec s-220 arm cartridge/stylus recommendations please!']a recent thread on this forum[/URL], the split weights of the Syntec S-220 allow it to accommodate a wide range of headshells, from light to heavy. From that thread: "Fantastic design, even with the relatively short...
  25. MCM_Fan

I agree, a beautiful table that is also dead silent in operation. At one point, I had an original SL-1500 - a great basic table that is inexpensive and very easy to service, but the Mk2 takes everything to another level.
Back
Top Bottom