Search results

1. Swilton

Help with Sansui 7070 Receiver

Other than the power meters, the lights are pretty easy as long as you can solder and do some minor electrical work. I bought a $27 lamp kit from eBay and did a 7070 a couple of weeks ago. Tuner dial lamps and signal strength lamps just snap in. Function selector lamps take a little more effort...
  2. Swilton

White Oak Phase Linear 400

My thoughts exactly. What do you think of your WOPL 700? In my case I'm well supplied with amps in the 200w-400w range, but if it's as good as they say, then maybe it's worth the investment. My speakers could use the power.
  3. Swilton

White Oak Phase Linear 400

I have a donor Phase Linear 400 laying here, and it's lacking purpose. I'm considering running it through the White Oak upgrades, and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the process. 1. If I do it myself, what's it cost? How many hours involved? 2. If I send it off to somebody else...
  4. Swilton

Cornstock 2018 Iowa/Midwest gathering September 15

I wouldn't object to trading for something, but not sure what. This one is a 20" and has all of the front and rear racks and bags. The Fargo handlebars are fantastic and provide lots of hand positions for long distance riding. Last summer I switched over to a Pivot Les, and I'm still not sure...
  5. Swilton

The bike is a Salsa Fargo. I used it to ride the Great Divide route (only part of the way) through Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. Absolutely one of the best rides of my life. The bike is fantastic, and the ride is amazing! I don’t think I’ve ever felt that free before or since, and I almost...
  6. Swilton

I don’t keep up with the times, and I’ve only just found this thread since you linked it in Bartertown. It’s 5 1/2 hours from here, but I’m going to try and make it down there for the festivities.
  7. Swilton

Someone to haul speakers from Oregon to Minnesota?

Hi, There’s a set of KEF 107 speakers in Oregon that I’d love to buy if I could get them to Minnesota. They’re big and heavy, 46” x 18” x 14” and they weigh 100# each. I know it’s unlikely, but I’ll post this on the chance that somebody is taking a cross country road trip. I’d be happy to...
  8. Swilton

Tube buffer - do they work - which one would you recommend ?

Doesn't a tube buffer just introduce a mild but pleasant distortion into the system? I'd speculate that using tone controls or an EQ could produce the same effect, but I've read comments by various people on this forum who won't use anything of the sort because they feel it's not pure. I'm...
  9. Swilton

Searching for Audio Tech in Central Minnesota

Anybody know a good audio tech in the middle part of the state? Somewhere around St. Cloud, Alexandria, Fergus, Fargo, Brainerd or that area would be helpful. I have a couple of vintage receivers I'd like to have worked on.
  10. Swilton

A blind test finds out if 1970s receivers can hold their own against the latest stuff

I am 100% in agreement with your analysis, and that's exactly why I like the vintage equipment. I realize that some people prefer accuracy and perfect rendition above all else, but I'm not that guy. Apart from that, hearing tests have revealed that my ears are less than perfect, so what I hear...
  11. Swilton

A blind test finds out if 1970s receivers can hold their own against the latest stuff

There are lots of comments on here about how this isn't an appropriate test and things aren't apples to apples, but take almost any other example from the world of electronics, cell phones, computers, TV's, gaming platforms, even microwave ovens, you could compare the top-of-the-line item from...
  12. Swilton

Minnesota to Beloit, WI to Little Rock, AR to Chicago & home to MN

I'm heading out Sunday, April 3rd from St. Cloud, Minnesota. I'll be in Beloit, WI Sunday afternoon, and heading south from there to Little Rock, AR by Monday afternoon. Tuesday evening I'll be leaving Little Rock and heading back north to Kenosha, WI. Leaving from there Thursday afternoon...
  13. Swilton

Mostly Empty Pickup--driving from Lake Charles, LA to Minneapolis, MN

Sometime in the next 2-3 weeks I'll be driving from Lake Charles, LA to Minneapolis, MN. I'm hoping to locate a set of speakers along the way, but if I can't my pickup will be mostly empty. It has a topper and a few blankets in the back for protection from the elements. It's lockable and a...
  14. Swilton

Tried to be critical, got lost in the music...

Like others, I've spent a ton of money and moved around a lot of stuff, but the system finally came together for me last year. It may be the individual components, the placement, or the synergy--I really can't say why or point at a specific piece of equipment, but every time I play it, I'm just...
  15. Swilton

Anybody want to haul speakers from Michigan to Minnesota?

...or maybe to somewhere in Wisconsin or Iowa? It would need a fair sized pick-up or van. Two speakers 180# each. It's a long shot I know
  16. Swilton

TAD-150 Help with Tube Selection

I put in some no-name 12AT7's last night. What a difference! The Mullard's must have had some issue. Anybody know a good tube seller here on AK? I'd like to find a good set of 12AX7's and maybe 12AU7's too.
  17. Swilton

These are the tubes that are in it. Not sure who makes them. I've read that the TAD-150 can operate with 12AU7, 12AT7, and 12AX7 tubes. I don't have a manual for this thing, but is any change in biasing required to switch tube types? Is one type better than another?
  18. Swilton

I have a TAD-150 preamp. Works well and I generally like the sound, but it's slightly on the bright and fatiguing side. I've heard a Cary SLP-90, and I liked it much better. It's darker, richer, fuller, and more bass. Can I improve the TAD with some tube rolling? Does anybody have any...
  19. Swilton

Customs when buying from Canada

Thanks for the responses. I did some more research too, and as best I can tell, there are no duties on this. :D
  20. Swilton

Customs when buying from Canada

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, but I'm looking at buying a used McIntosh amp from a private party in Canada. Do I have to pay any duties or import fees when shipping to the U.S.? Does the amp have to go through customs? Any insight would be appreciated. Swilton
  21. Swilton

Snow & the Sansui G-9000

Bought this from Snow a couple of weeks ago: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=569547 Following lots of anticipation, it arrived yesterday. Let me just say that Snow did a great job of packing and shipping! I've wanted a G-9000 for awhile, and had hoped to find one...
  22. Swilton

SX-1250 Transformer, ATT-267

Spent most of today working on it. I'm not getting the symptoms with the secondary open circuited, and all secondary voltages look good on my scope, So I started looking a few other places. I found some issues on the power regulator board. Looks like somebody did some surgery. Some of the...
  23. Swilton

Yeah, I agree. Been meaning to get my megger out and try to megger at low voltage (lowest I can go is 250vdc) but that may be destructive to the windings too. Not sure what insulation level they used on these.
  24. Swilton

I'd better get over there before it disappears. I googled all over the place looking for one.
  25. Swilton

Man you guys are a wealth of information. Really appreciate the input!:thmbsp:
Back
Top Bottom