Search results

1. Don McR

Has anyone heard Tannoy Pretige line?

That was certainly my impression. There's no question that there's a huge time alignment problem with that design since the back loaded horn has a path lenght that is probably around 10' longer than the direct front radiation. I don't know if this is the sole cause of the problem, but I did have...
  2. Don McR

Has anyone heard Tannoy Pretige line?

I've heard the Edinburghs, Churchills, Westminsters and Westminster Royals. I really liked the first two and was dissapointed by the last two.
  3. Don McR

Avid Today (Why I Love the Internet)

The following is my take on this development from a previous thread: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=235295&postcount=55
  4. Don McR

Avid Today (Why I Love the Internet)

I think you might have missed the fact that you were responding to a four year old post :D
  5. Don McR

SAE Speakers ?

That absolutely is an original Gauss woofer. Specifically, it is a model 2831 that was originally developed for their 2124 studio monitor. It is aquaplas coated and uses a foam surround. It was designed by Ed May who was previously the primary transducer design engineer at JBL responsible for...
  6. Don McR

JBLapalooza

The pictures were taken with a Canon Rebel XT and one of two lenses: 17-40 F4L, and 70-200 F4L. All shots were hand held with many using sensitivity set to 1600; particularly the "Basie" shots and city lights.
  7. Don McR

JBLapalooza

The expected next Prime Minister (the current one has given a resignation date) walked by our party in the lobby of the hotel we were staying at. I'm not kidding. There was no security detail or any other indication of his importance. I did manage to remember protocol and directed my chunks at...
  8. Don McR

JBLapalooza

I just returned from a trip to Tokyo at the invitation of JBL and Harman Japan for the celebration of JBL's 60th anniversary. The key event was the introduction of JBL's highest statement loudspeaker ever produced - the $60,000 Everest DD66000. A photo essay of the entire trip can be found here...
  9. Don McR

Help IDing a JBL

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/cabaret.htm
  10. Don McR

JBL Aquarius I

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/aquarius.htm
  11. Don McR

Mitsubishi DS-303 / what are monitors?

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3747
  12. Don McR

Old Altec ad....a "Super 19"?...(Dgwojo??)

I have a scan of that ad somewhere that I will try and dig up when I get home (I'm visiting in LA). I'm pretty sure the ad copy specifially states that it is a custom speaker system and the guy shown holding the Altec driver was the designer/installer. The ad dates from 1976 which was before...
  13. Don McR

JBL owners- what do you run, and when did JBL falter?

Well, let's get the ownership issues out of the way first. JBL has had four owners, Jim Lansing (1946-1949), Bill Thomas (1949-1969), Harman International (1969-1977), Beatrice Foods (1977-1980) and Harman International again (1980-present). Altec Lansing has a more convoluted corporate...
  14. Don McR

What's With Bose?

Bose Corporation has never been owned by GM. It has always been a private firm under the majority ownership and control of Dr. Amar Bose. Further, Dr. Bose's work on room accoustics that led to the 901 is questionable at best and part of the reason for the disrepute of that speaker amongst many...
  15. Don McR

"near field" monitor?

Nearfield montors (and I mean pro monitors as opposed to home speakers) are a unique breed of speaker that have some very specific design goals. They are most commonly used at a listening distance of 1m; the depth of a typical mixing board upon which most nearfield monitors are placed. High...
  16. Don McR

Obscure speaker names that you liked...

Irving Fried had nothing to do with the design and manufacture of IMF speakers and certainly did not pioneer TL speakers. IMF (and others) were doing it long before Fried started his own company.
  17. Don McR

WHere do i find online VOT A7 cab plans?

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/plans/altec-plans.htm
  18. Don McR

Any Nikonese out there?

It's not as bad as I would have thought. The two zooms are considered the best value lenses that Canon makes in the L series at around $800cdn each. The reviews I've read indicate that they are amongst Canon's sharpest lenses, but by accepting a one stop lower speed (F4 vs F2.8), they are up to...
  19. Don McR

Any Nikonese out there?

For over 20 years I've had an F3/MD4, Nikkor 24/2.0, 50/1.4, 80-200/4.0, 500/8.0 and SB-16 flash. I've always loved this system, but tomorrow I cross over to the dark side and the Nikon gear is headed to Ebay. Tommorow afternoon, I'm scheduled to pick up my order for a Canon Digital Rebel XT...
  20. Don McR

Anyone know anything about Cizek speakers?

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.audio/browse_thread/thread/45086470ed1381d3/c42f3a26781cbae9?q=cizek+%22dick+pierce%22&rnum=1&hl=en#c42f3a26781cbae9 Dick Pierce Audio Anecdote Today's episode: Loose lips sink ships...
  21. Don McR

Want to convert foam with accordian surrounds?

There is a reason why drivers designed for hi-fi and monitoring applications almost universially use half roll foam or rubber surrounds. They have the most linear response and most desirable damping characteristics. The cloth surrounds have always been a compromise whereby some level of...
  22. Don McR

How many agree with me on this?..(dgwojo?)

I have been told by accoustic experts that concrete walls and floors do not make for an ideal listening room. They are too hard and reflective so that you end up with a viscous slap echo. The ideal that they recommended to me is a room within a room construction. For example, an outer room of a...
  23. Don McR

Julian Hirsch's AR LSTs (purportedly) on ebay.......

This is likely to open up a whole can of worms, but what the hell. It is a fact that no one has ever succesfully distinguished two competently designed amplifiers that were working within their design parameters in a double blind test. The term "competently designed" generally applies to all of...
  24. Don McR

University Loudspeakers Inc

Actually, the University brand was owned and managed by Altec Lansing for most of its life. It was initially purchased by Altec in 1959. In 1985, Altec (including the University brand) was purchased by Gulton Industries, the then owner of EV. However, the Altec division (including University)...
  25. Don McR

Altec Lansing 515 Woofers, 52 Years!!

Jim Lansing obviously knew what he was doing back in 1944 (the year of introduction for the 515). I think it, the 288, and the 604 are tied for the record of the longest production of a single driver model. With a four year exception (1998-2002), all three drivers have been in continuous...
Back
Top Bottom