Search results

1. mhainz

Hooking Up Two Turntables Together

I used one of these when i had two tts hooked up to a single amp. https://www.jaycar.com.au/2-way-a-v-selector-switch/p/AC1650
  2. mhainz

How low should a tonearm go?

The tonearm will drop as low as the pivot or bearing will allow until something stops it. Not a problem at all.
  3. mhainz

Technics or Toshiba, which TT is better

I'd go the SLQ303 and the Toshiba.
  4. mhainz

Worth the price of admission?

Ooh very nice.
  5. mhainz

cartridge weights/spacers?

You can download the manual from vinylengine.com Any chance of a photo of your cartridge?
  6. mhainz

Technics sld202

Sounds like the auto return mechanism has an issue. It shouldn't run into the label as the records have a closed groove at the end so if using a fully manual table the stylus will just keep going around until you lift it.
  7. mhainz

cartridge weights/spacers?

Your SL/D2 tonearm has an effective mass of 12grams (without cartridge). This info is in the user manual. Are you sure about the cart? AT122LP is a p-mount.
  8. mhainz

How are Marantz turntables?

As with every brand, there's good one's and not-so-good one's. What model are you looking at?
  9. mhainz

Turntable has dropped a channel.

Thanks you!! Yes it seems I have a short.
  10. mhainz

Thanks for all the advice. This is just becoming really weird. I have pulled the headshell, cleaned the contacts, even replaced the headshell wires. When I check for continuity, everything is fine all the way from the cartridge pins to the ends of the RCA leads. So great. I don't need to rewire...
  11. mhainz

Hi. Yes I tried that and the dropped channel switched sides. I also tried a separate phono pre-amp and it's the same problem. Time to get that multi meter out then...
  12. mhainz

Hi all. Right so my lovely Mrs finally conceded a few weeks ago to let me set up a TT in the living room so in went my Akai APB20. I know not the best but it cost me 10 bucks a few years back and actually sounds pretty good for some nice background music. So during the week it decided to drop...
  13. mhainz

Finally got around to buying a turntable (at thrift).

Good start mate. Welcome to the journey...
  14. mhainz

Decent vinyl getting harder to come by at thrift?

Yep. Plenty of Engelbert Humperdink and Jim Nabors but not much else where i live.
  15. mhainz

Newbie Cartridge

I agree with Cratz. The AT91 is a basic cartridge that hits well above its weight. It seems to do everything quite well so it would be a good idea to put several hours listening on it to decide what you want to improve on. The price range you're looking at covers a LOT of vastly different...
  16. mhainz

Made some Walnut Plinths for Thorens TD-160 / TD-166

Man they are stunning!
  17. mhainz

Which Shure cart (if any) for my Akai APB20?

It sure is. Makes easy cart swaps impossible. My idea was to fit a "nice" cart and then just be able to swap styli (conical, elliptical etc) depending on the type and condition of record I'm playing. Could do that with an AT95 as well I guess although I do like a warm sound. Hmm...
  18. mhainz

Yeah I'm not reading too much into what stylus they come with. Would be looking at JICO options in any case.
  19. mhainz

Hi there. I'm currently running an AT91 (at3600 with carbon fibre cantilever) on my AKAI APB20 and it sounds pretty darn good in my opinion. However as most of you know, its pretty hard in this hobby to leave well enough alone and I've come across someone selling the following Shure carts all...
  20. mhainz

Seeking thoughts on a quality "mid-range / budget" cart for an SL-D2

I use an Ortofon Om10 on my sld2 and it sounds excellent. I also use a Shure Sc35c with m35x stylus for lps in poor condition and occasionally a Technics Epc207. The om10 is definitely a great sounding cart.
  21. mhainz

Today's JAZZ playlist

22. mhainz

Vintage TT for (non-scratching) DJ

You'll have a bit of a dilemma here. If you want reliable, high torque, AND affordable then Technics really can't be beat. Even something like an SL-D1 or D2 would do the job nicely. However if you want that cool retro timber plinth look then you'll be looking at Pioneer, Marantz, JVC etc but...
  23. mhainz

Good Bang for your Buck Vintage Carts

I often see quite good Stanton and Pickering carts come up at quite reasonable prices. I used to even have a Pickering XV15 of which there's an equivalent Stanton (681??) but while the carts may be quite affordable, you can pay quite a bit for an OE stylus. And as I found out with my Pickering...
  24. mhainz

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

25. mhainz

Can you diagnose? (Pioneer PL-05 issue)

Okay i'm going out on a limb here. On the cartridge, carefully swap the blue and white leads. But be carefull and pull the connectors not the wires. Then try it.
Back
Top Bottom