Search results

1. Barncats

Lab 80

My very first turntable was a Lab 80, bought in 1966. It was fitted (by recommendation from the dealer) with a Shure M55E. Just as another data point.
  2. Barncats

Storing Records In Order

Aye but here's the rub, mateys . . . what do you do with classical compilations in which, for example, players at Marlboro perform pieces by Bach and Mozart, or the Borodin performs one Shostakovich quintet and three pieces by Stravinsky?! I have a lot of these. In the end, I just file by the...
  3. Barncats

Show Us Your Little Turntables!

I remember sitting in a French train compartment in December of 1968, and across from me was a guy with a tiny battery powered turntable sitting on his lap, on which he was playing the brand-new Beatles white album. This wee unit had a tiny little speaker, but it was something of a marvel for me...
  4. Barncats

What Alignment do you use - Poll

Not a choice in the poll so I'll just say I use a Wallytractor with my Well Tempered Arm. Great tool.Love how easy the reflective surface makes it to judge azimuth.
  5. Barncats

B&O RX2 isolation

Again, thanks!
  6. Barncats

B&O RX2 isolation

Many thanks!
  7. Barncats

B&O RX2 isolation

Hello All, We are moving to a smaller house, built in 1912, with wooden floors. Anytime in the past that I've lived with wooden floors I have always used a wall-mounted dual-shelf Target rack. Now, in the new living space, we are going to set up a B&O RX2 that I recently got. I did a search for...
  8. Barncats

Well Tempered Classic setup adventures

I'll send you one.
  9. Barncats

As you will see from the Pear Audio note sheet, if you adjust the nylon string this will throw off your azimuth, VTF, etc. In some ways it's easier to add and remove fluid with a small measuring spoon, which should change the height of the disc in the silicone without affecting the other...
  10. Barncats

oops, it appears that pictures from ten years ago are no longer saved. I'll dig around and re-post a jpeg of the damping sheet after I find it.
  11. Barncats

How far is the circular paddle immersed in the silicone? This determines the amount of damping. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/damping-for-well-tempered-arm.629360/
  12. Barncats

What I love about the Well Temp Arm and Turntable is that there's great fussiness at the start, but then everything remains stable and you can forget about it and enjoy the music. Happy owner since around 1990. Did you experiment with how much damping you are giving the arm? A search back...
  13. Barncats

What to look for in an affordable Ultrasonic Cleaner for vinyl?

Have you read Mark Twain on the healthful properties of Mississippi water? First you dip out a full glass of water and bring it up to the pilot house. Then put it on a shelf for a few hours. After that you discard the clear stuff on top and drink the rest! :)
  14. Barncats

Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto no. 3

I would add Vladimir Ashkenazy, who has recorded this several times.
  15. Barncats

Well Tempered Lab Table

By the way, in my viewing situation (Mac running Firefox) there is a short list of related topics, shown underneath the current thread. My post from 2014 is the second on that list. So anytime you have interest in a thread, it's worth peeking below to see if there are other related threads you...
  16. Barncats

Well Tempered Lab Table

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/damping-for-well-tempered-arm.629360/
  17. Barncats

Well Tempered Lab Table

There's an interesting story about the twisted belt. Back in the early days when Firebaugh was building these himself (before he handed off production to Transparent Audio) he had finished building ten units. He spread them all out on the bench to test them for wow and flutter and discovered...
  18. Barncats

Well Tempered Lab Table

I have had one since the early 1990s. Still use it, still love it. Have a Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua mounted in it. Don;t be put off by the fussiness and weirdness of the design — once you have it set it up it'll require no attention, it just performs beautifully. Have a look at my old post from...
  19. Barncats

Big classical vinyl score last night! A complete list...

This is a kind of hi-jacking because it has to do with tape and I'm on the turntables forum, but I'll post it here because so many people reading this listen to classical music. Maybe ten years ago I lucked into about 200 new-old-stock commercial tapes, almost all 7.5 ips and almost all...
  20. Barncats

Wood body Grado cartridges ?

I bought a wood Platinum soon after they first came out. It replaced at AT-150. In fact my extended write-up of my experiences with it turned into my first-ever review in "Listener." It worked beautifully on my Well Tempered Arm, on a Kyocera 700 deck, and on a TD-160 with TP-16 arm. I was sent...
  21. Barncats

Well Tempered tracking issues.

The hum is gone! (Sung to the tune of B.B.'s "The Thrill Is Gone" . . . ) Just as you suspected, the negative connectors were quite loose, and gently tightening up the nuts took care of things. Thanks again for the tip, I would never have thought of that as a source of the problem.
  22. Barncats

At the present moment, too busy with other matters to address that, but hope to do so in next couple of days. Will report back. Sure would be an easy fix if that's the problem!
  23. Barncats

Many thanks. Mine is also square motor, so I'm sure our terminal blocks are the same.
  24. Barncats

This is an "aha!" post for me. I have been chasing minor hum for a long time, dressing cables in differing ways, replacing ground wire between WT and phono preamp, swapping interconnects, trying to add other ground links (say from phono pre to amp) and never getting rid of it. When you say ring...
  25. Barncats

Hana Umami Red vs Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua

I'd like to weigh in with some non-expert impressions of the TKR. I have been using it for years now, in an original (square motor) Well Tempered Turntable with first the later black arm (with 2-hole cartridge mount), and more recently, with the original stainless arm (with the mounting slot)...
Back
Top Bottom