Search results

1. dragondad

Elac Debut B6.2 impressions?

Looking for speakers for a nice bedroom 2.1 for music listening. So I picked up a pair of the B6.2 during their open box sale. My bedroom set up is a recliner in a corner, small sub behind the recliner and the 2 speakers out in the room on stands about 8ft away from each other and the chair...
  2. dragondad

Please Help Me Get Music Out of My Schiit

No loss of quality, the Apple device passes unaltered over WiFi to the airport express, so if you are streaming from the Apple Music on the high quality setting, or any other music service, it passes it bit for bit to the airport. WiFi does not impact the sound, you may be thinking of Bluetooth...
  3. dragondad

Need some help from the Paradigm fans

Probably something wrong with them. The mini monitors are highly regarded at their size and price point. I have a pair of v1, they are pretty neutral with a slight warmth and a bit laid back. They should not sound remotely muddy. Try running them flat with no loudness and bass and treble set...
  4. dragondad

Please Help Me Get Music Out of My Schiit

My favorite way to connect is using an airport express. The airport express has an optical mini in the same connector as the analog 3.5, which can be connected to the optical toslink on the modi then you can use airplay to stream any audio from any Apple device wirelessly to the airport...
  5. dragondad

RSL speakers, am I alone?

rsl CG-82 I have an opportunity to acquire a pair but can't find much about them. These are the 2 way towers with 2 8" and a 1" in a compression guide cabinet. Anyone own them presently or in the past? What do they do well? I am looking for something to use in a 2 channel rig in my large...
  6. dragondad

RSL CG-82 value

Someone nearby offering 2 pairs of these for $300 a pair. Pictures look very good condition. I can't find much on these particular RSL except an occasional statement that they sound very good. and RSL in general seems to be well regarded and are fairly common in SoCal. These would be for a 2...
  7. dragondad

First Dance songs and other love songs for weddings.

Our song / first dance is "When I say I do" by Clint Black with Lisa Hartman Black. As far as play list, our only real requirement of the MC was to keep it clean. We had around 120 guests, many of them older family, and we wanted to keep it classy. A couple friends told us later they had...
  8. dragondad

B&W Owners Thread

I have a pair of 683 towers as my mains, as well as the HTM1 center and a pair of DS3 surrounds. I run the 683 full range and have a Velodyne SPL-1200R crossed around 50Hz. I absolutely love the sound of the 683. When I went shopping back in 07, I listened to many different speakers zeroing...
  9. dragondad

I was surprised by the bidding on these JBLs last night!

A working pair of 035tia tweeters easily go for $200 by themselves
  10. dragondad

JBL 52T ?

i just picked up a very nice pair of JBL52T bookshelf speakers. They are little things at about 7x7x10 or so. Have a 5" rubber surround looks like coated fabric mid woofer and metal tweeter. Like most classic JBL, they sound much better than they have a right to! The midrange and highs are...
  11. dragondad

Best Speaker Test Albums/Songs

My favorite is the Gladiator motion picture soundtrack composed by Hans Zimmer featuring Lisa Gerrard. The CD has a nearly non existent noise floor and huge dynamic range. I play the first 3 tracks through, which start very quite with just a couple instruments, some very low subtle bass notes...
  12. dragondad

Making an offer, without haggling.

Being polite always goes a long way. I recently bought a TV that I felt the asking was too high but not completely ridiculous. I first messaged them saying I was interested but I the price was higher than I would be willing to pay, and asked if they were willing to discuss price. They said...
  13. dragondad

What song really MOVES you?

Agree, the movie is just ok ( I know, my kids are more the target audience) but I really enjoy the soundtrack. As goofy as it may sound, I also really like the movie version of Let it Go performed by Idina Menzel. The first part in F minor gets me every time, with a gentle transition to A...
  14. dragondad

What song really MOVES you?

There are many, I am partial to Motion Picture Soundtracks, and there is lots of non lyric music that falls into this category but here are a few of my favorites that "give me goosbumps" almost every time I listen to them. Into The West from the Return of the King soundtrack performed by Annie...
  15. dragondad

Need some help choosing which of the following speakers to buy next week

First welcome to our forums!! Listening is definitely the best way to determine what you like. It might help to know what kind of sound do you prefer, laid back, up front, forward midrange, sparkling highs, etc. It may sound like goobly gok, but is the best way to describe what you like...
  16. dragondad

What did you get for Christmas?

I don't need much in the range of what is affordable for us, but once in a while something comes up that scratches a very specific itch. For my Birthday / Christmas I found and got a new to us 65" Panasonic GT50 Plasma. :D After selling our existing TV and contributing some birthday money cost...
  17. dragondad

Older TOL Plasma or new bargain level LED LCD

Ok, just wanted to update for anyone interested. I decided to go for the plasma, I have been wanting one for a long time and have never really been completely satisfied with any other tv I have had. I also very rarely get anything for myself. So I offered what I felt was fair based on the...
  18. dragondad

Subarau Outback, Ford Focus, or Pontiac Vibe, What do the owners out there think??

I just realized how long ago this thread started :) Anyway, I have a 01 ZX3 I bought in 2011 with 89k on it, it now has 187k. Very little has gone wrong, and when something did wear out it was cheap to fix. I can also personally verify it is a non interference engine when I sheared the teeth...
  19. dragondad

Heavy is relative. My first HDTV was a 32" Samsung CRT flastscreen 1080i. How to you get a CRT flat? Make it THICK. That TV weighed over 200lbs!! It had the most gorgeous picture, one that I have yet seen matched by anything other than plasma. Sometimes wish I had not sold it.
  20. dragondad

From the ad for the Plasma, I do not suspect it is calibrated, or even that they know it is one of the better plasma TVs. It is pictured with a game console so I am sure some gaming took place. Likely pulled out of the box and turned on, maybe a look through the default picture modes and...
  21. dragondad

Ok, so I am thinking of replacing my 55" standard CFL backlit LCD TV with a 65". My current TV is ok but nothing special, picture is decent, brightness is decent, but contrast and black levels leave a lot on the table. It was a settlement from the class action lawsuit regarding the RP SXRD...
  22. dragondad

Phase Tech Euro Series 745-ES

I have a pair of the 535es and really enjoy them when I have the chance. The 535 and 745 are a bit of an interesting design being a 2 1/2 way configuration. The upper midbass driver is run full range and handles bass and mid duties, and the lower driver (the 8" in the case of the 745) is...
  23. dragondad

Tannoy D80 638 vs B&W 683 S2 vs B&W DM1400

I have a pair of original B&W 683. I love their sound, the FST midrange is phenomenal! However in my experience they crave power, I am bi-amping them using 4 discrete channels of my LPA-1. For a while I had them connected to a true 80Wpc Sony TA AX500 integrated amp which would go into...
  24. dragondad

JBL 4406 - 035ti tweeter repair question

This is what I found when I opened my box. It took me a few minutes to figure out what happened. You can see the magnet came completely off the top plate, which is still screwed to the diaphragm flange. And yep, when it fell the pole ripped the voice coil loose from the diaphragm. Anyway...
  25. dragondad

JBL 4406 - 035ti tweeter repair question

Yep! It is held in place by glue, nothing else keeps it centered. It looks like 1 piece until you have seen it fall apart. :no: On my repaired tweeter I ran a bead of JB weld around the joint you show with your arrows to keep it in place. It is held together by magnetic force, but centered...
Back
Top Bottom