Search results

1. R

Tube hobby?

Been watching your channel. Awesome stuff, shows how little I know; it all sounds like Chinese (no pun intended) to me right now. I'm gonna have to read a lot before I tackle this stuff. Like somebody on this thread suggested, I may start with just a tube buffer project and go from there.
  2. R

Tube hobby?

Demonstrating my total lack of knowledge: so the buffer would go between the DAC and the amp; correct? but my amp has a built-in DAC, so I would place the buffer between an external DAC (have a Schiit modi somewhere) and the amp and use the amp's analog inputs? I like the fact the buffer is...
  3. R

Very confused. Desktop system upgrade

Wow. Just got the 600M's and have been listening for a couple of hours (the joy of retirement); VERY good speakers, especially at lower volumes. I really don't hear the mid-frequency "hole" the pundits and measurements scream about. They sound awesome but I'm gonna wait and see to make sure I'm...
  4. R

Yeah, I'm definitely going the new and/or new/used route and spend a little more. Haven't bought anything new in a while, so I have the "bug". So far the Klipsch's R-50M's sound better than my Infinitys, more clarity, smaller, and bass is good enough for a small space like my office, BUT I...
  5. R

Tube hobby?

Tubedepot looks like a very nice site. Just learning what all the components really mean. A stupid question: are tubes better on the pre-amp stage only? where do you get the most out of tubes? both pre-amp and amp stages? Another question: is there an appreciable difference between tube pre-amp...
  6. R

Tube hobby?

Oh... just started watching your channel. Are you an engineer? How did you learn all that stuff? I'm an architect and the electrical area was my weakest; just treated my engineers ; )
  7. R

Tube hobby?

Thanks for the input. I'm in the process of upgrading my desktop system, so I may jump on this as soon as I finish my upgrades. Struggling with so many choices for small book shelf speakers! Back in my day, there were only a few choices and only magazine reviews! In any event, at some point soon...
  8. R

Tube hobby?

Thanks guys. This is a lot to digest...
  9. R

Tube hobby?

On the Aliexpress site it's hard to tell if the PCB is included. The answered questions are not from DYI customers, so its little confusing. For $200 bucks it seems to do what I'm looking for
  10. R

Tube hobby?

so those are running around $240 shipping included, which is not bad. But is it too ambitious for a newbie? I've only soldered basic, like repairing stuff and tinned cable ends and recapped a small subwoofer amp...
  11. R

Tube hobby?

Did you get it as a kit?
  12. R

Tube hobby?

I was looking at that one but then, would it be too much for a newbie? Are instructions clear, good diagrams?
  13. R

Tube hobby?

I'm Ok with a preamp or headphone amp or are there any tube DAC kits?
  14. R

Thanks, I thought about the "air" ones but the "reviews" kept me away after trying the B652's. Do you have them? is there really that much improvement over the 652's? The 652's sounded like toys compared to my old Infinitys. The "boss" has given me approval to spend up to $350 if they look "nice" ;)
  15. R

Tube hobby?

$200? I just want a simple, small starter kit to learn
  16. R

Tube hobby?

Looked through several older threads on tube amp kits. I'm retired now and always wanted to try a tube amp so, I'd like to start at some point building one. Several of the kits look daunting and some the Chinese ones are in Chinese! is there anything out there that is cheap for a beginner? I...
  17. R

Looking at more Cantons, they are expensive... for being fairly used. The Infinitesimal in your picture is over $500... I can't get over how badly people treat their speakers. My Infinities look like new and I have a pair of old Polk VS-25's that still look like brand new. My B&W's are sparkling...
  18. R

Thanks for the input. I’m very skeptical of the used route on very old or “vintage” stuff unless I know where it’s coming from. I know, a lot of people buy used but that would not be my first choice. I looked at some used ones like the Cantons on OfferUp but they were not in good shape and I...
  19. R

I’m waiting to get the RS-600M’s, I think $320 is not a bad price and second generation is still too high priced for me. The Klipsch R-50M’s sound very good (can’t find them for less than $299) and I don’t mind the “brightness“ people criticize them for; to me they add clarity. They also look...
  20. R

Schiit Fans ?

Have owned schiit modi for a few years. Works fine; no complaints
  21. R

Interesting, I was thinking about painting them. Have all kinds of painting guns and also an airbrush. My concern it's been painting on the vinyl surfacing and getting a nice finish. I took the Xover out when I re-foamed but there was a ton of glue covering everything, so was afraid to break...
  22. R

Driving the UPS guys crazy. They know me on a first name basis these days!
  23. R

I really don't have problem with Infinity's bass; I can hardly hear music below 40Hz. I don't think I'll need a sub, maybe when I was younger and liked booming music but not these days. My room is very small (8'x16') all hard surfaces and I listen to relatively low volumes, rarely above 75 Db's...
  24. R

The more I listen to other speakers, the Infinity's keep sounding better or the others offer not enough of an "upgrade" . Klipsch's R-50m's ($300) sound pretty good but I'd say equal to the Infinities or maybe a tinny tad better with certain music. The size is nice and they look good without...
  25. R

Thanks for the input. I had the Dayton b652 for about 1 week; they did not come even close to my Infinity‘s. The triangle BR03 is a little difficult to get since I can’t find a free return seller (open box or all sales final) and Amazon is selling them for $350, So a little above my budget...
Back
Top Bottom