Search results

1. O

Stranded in southern Alberta

I have been about 20 miles from Montana for two years. I came up to help my dear Mother who, at 92, is beginning to fail. Then the pandemic. At least now I have some help from American relatives. My problem is I cannot find anyone in the Lethbridge area to fix my G-5700 that has begun to spit...
  2. O

BIC Venturi Formula 3

I recall the BIC. They had a diminishing volume port for the woofer that seemed to work. The ones I had (I cannot recall model) were 8 inch woofer with a horn and a paper tweeter. Tight with good sound.
  3. O

Would you Choose Jbl L100 Pioneer, Hpm100 or Top Advents?

The JBL's bookshelf speakers I believe are over-rated. I say this as an L-100 owner. The Pioneer aren't even in the same zip code. The Advent do exactly what they were built to do - reproduce music without coloration. That said, I own both and the Advent are in the bedroom and the JBL in the...
  4. O

Garrard Zero 100c and JVC 4MD-20X

Saving these relics of the Golden Age of Stereo is up to the few of us who appreciate them. The only problem with the arm is the vertical mass, so I play any warped records on the Thorens and flat ones on either the Z-100 or its brother, the GT-55. I appreciate the subsequent GT model as I...
  5. O

Finally Found a Early Garrard 301 Grease Bearing

You have the same affliction that many here seem to suffer from. I, too, drive a 46 year old car and the newest thing in my audio equipment is the stylus on my 40 year old Stanton 681. And I'm living the dream.
  6. O

Why bother when you have internet FM?

For me the Kenwoods of the early 70's were the best I ever listened to and I include the Model 18 I owned for a time. I don't know what it was about them but when listening they rarely caused fatigue. The repeal of the fairness doctrine and limits on ownership doomed the unique local...
  7. O

Anyone plug the port on your JBL L-36 speakers?

Everyone who ever reads has done the same thing, whether it's a bad ground or out of phase wires, everyone is guilty. I would still stay away from Shure with JBL. Just an old man ears problem?
  8. O

Is a high end cart pointless on a Pro-ject 1.2 TT?

I'm curious, now, as I have always used the adage of the best cartridge I can afford is my first upgrade, not my last. What has been your experience?
  9. O

The Garrards are coming ! The Garrards are coming !!!

I recently bought one of the lesser models with the reticulating arm that appears to have partially addressed the arm mass problem. I will update and post pics when I get into the guts of it. I liked them even in 1970, but at $200 vs. $90 for an AR and $2.25 hr. wages you can guess what I...
  10. O

P-Mount Cartridge Insanity and Reviews

Seven pages of respectful dialogue on stereo cartridges. I know there's a lesson here......
  11. O

WOW! NOS Dual 1019!

I'm very confused by the ears of most here. The only reason - to me - to own an early Dual is to get the multiple speed capability. I do this with yes, a Dual 1009 and several others that mostly fulfill my collection urge. So, given that fact, why would anyone buy an idler turntable for an...
  12. O

Anyone plug the port on your JBL L-36 speakers?

You are using the wrong cartridge for the speaker. Shure is a very high compliance and output cart. I use Stanton on high efficiency speakers.
  13. O

What is the best all around Vintage Turntable?

OK, I give up. Why two tone arms on one table? MM and MC? Trying to satiate both of your diverse personalities?
  14. O

Any upgrade path?

I have been an efficiency snob since I first heard Klipschorns and JBL L-200's in the late 1960's. I love the Shure on AR and other Cambridge sound sealed cabinets, but they seem to whip any woofer into a froth from a ported cabinet. I have literally had to remove the turntable from the room...
  15. O

Pioneer CT-F9191 Belt Size Clarification

I'm one of the only guys I know still using my cassettes regularly. I also have this model, as I believe its one of the best ever made. I will be watching this thread to see what is correct. Mine will need to be replaced at some point. I was struck by how substantial these machines were built...
  16. O

Altec 755a's

Joe, is that a decreasing volume port, a la BIC Venturi? Beautiful cabinet work from what I can see. Very nicely done on the radius of the port entry and cabinet corners. Phil, you risk being burned at the stake by purists. The one man who I thought would have these stashed, does indeed have a...
  17. O

Altec 755a's

I guess I am at the right place. A discussion going on three pages instigated by a speaker made for monaural reproduction - full range, to boot! What stinking crossover? We don't need no tweeters. When I worked at Varian Associates, we would hang with the crazies from Bell Labs on occasion. I am...
  18. O

Rectilinear Mini IIIs - New Owner

The first time I heard a Rectilinear III, I was a Sansui (?) and JBL devotee. The Sansui because they were cheap as every returning soldier in the 60's and 70's had bought them cheap at the PX, and the JBL because a rich kid I knew had a set of L-200's as his "starter" speakers. Then I went to a...
  19. O

Audio Stores in the 70's

My first new stuff came from Stereo Warehouse which I think was in Santa Monica. They specialized in packages - Receiver TT Speakers, etc. My favorite purchase ever, though, was going to a beautiful A-frame near Tamalpais to purchase my first L100's and HK Citation separates from a very courtly...
Back
Top Bottom