Search results

1. pete1729

How bad did I screw up putting in a capacitor backwards in my MAC 1900?

I had a single bulging cap in my power supply, so I sought to replace both of them. Like an idiot I put one in backwards: one was a negative ground, the other was positive ground. I tuned it on and the fuse blew. I figured out the mistake quickly. I flipped the cap around and put in a new fuse...
  2. pete1729

Question about power supply capacitors for a MAC 1900. Can you look at two choices and give an opinion?

One of the big caps in my MAC 1900 is bulging a little and it doesn't sound right. Below are two possible replacements, the only two stocked by Mouser that are drop in replacements. The Kemet is half the price of the CDE and seems to have better specs. Any reason not to go with the Kemet...
  3. pete1729

Any point in recapping HPM-60 crossovers with film caps?

I'm partway through parting out a pair of HPM-60s. They were a thrift store find. They had trashed cabinets and the super tweeters were dead. I normally don't do this sort of thing, I repair stuff. So far the guy who got the woofers was relieved, and the guy who go the midrange drivers was...
  4. pete1729

Can anyone identify the equipment in this photo of Louis Armstrong?

The picture shows Armstrong in front of a few items. The R2R decks may be the Tandbergs his wife bought for him. The amp has an EICO vibe.
  5. pete1729

Which taps can I use, and which taps should I use? Marantz 8b and SpeakerLab Khorns.

Ok then. I got SpeakerLab K-horns. I assumed they were nominal 8 ohm because most everything was at the time. They sounded good. I put new caps in the crossovers, they sounded really good. So I rearranged the room to get more air around the speakers. I also did some more research. It turns out...
  6. pete1729

Earnestly seeking a tube tester ID today. The sale goes off tomorrow morning early.

This is the best picture I could get through the window. One is a Hickock KS-15874-L2. There's another one just beyond it. There's 4 or 5 of them at the sale, and six boxes of tubes.
  7. pete1729

New to me Speakerlab K's!

Last fall a friend of my fiancee dropped in on us at our winter home in New Orleans. Talk came around to stereo gear and he mentioned he had the K's. "I'm getting rid of them" he said, "Do you want them?" Really. This sort of offer is usually forgotten or withdrawn later. This one wasn't. Three...
  8. pete1729

I may have a line on Altec A7-500's. The cabinets are a bit much for my 15x15 living room. What sort of cabinets could I build for those drivers?

416-8b woofers, Emilar EC-175b compression drivers, 511b horns, N-500 crossovers. Is there a good option for more reasonable cabinets? Is there a well thought out alternative crossover like the Z-19?
  9. pete1729

I stumbled on Wadia W-12 for $20 this afternoon. I don't use one, perhaps I should? I dont really stream anything. Can I wire a CD player into it?

The unit came in its original box, but no other documentation. What's it's value?
  10. pete1729

Bose 301 Series III. A little crackle in the sound, any ideas?

I was given a pair of these. I will likely sell them, as I have plenty of speakers. There is a little crackle in the mid ranges. The tweeters all function and the woofer surround is intact. There does not seem to be any voice coil rub. Could there be a crossover problem causing this? Thanks!
  11. pete1729

What are some uncommon 16 ohm speakers? For example Coral BX-50's.

I bought a pair of BX-50'S from a guy in Western Montana a few years back. I barely listened to them before packing them away. I brought them to my sister's place in Seattle intending to sell them. This same trip involved me bringing a Lafayette tube amp to my sister for her own use. Well one...
  12. pete1729

Acquired a stack of vintage Kyocera. Should i keep it? I just dont even know anymore.

I spent the better part of an afternoon waiting for an estate sale to start last Wednesday. I scored a beautiful stack of 80's Kyocera gear. The DA-710 CD player needed a door drive belt. I dropped in an appropriately sized O-ring. It required some varsity fiddling, but it works well now. The...
  13. pete1729

So far, so good

The new format looks clear and moves quickly for me.
  14. pete1729

Yet another speaker ID requested

There's a Sony TT that I would consider if it has a good cartridge. There's a Kyocera amp that I will snatch up if it's reasonably priced. Not pictured are matching Kyocera cassette deck and CD player which I really want. However, while I really do not need another pair of speakers, I have to...
  15. pete1729

Speaker ID?

Is that a big squarish horn in there?
  16. pete1729

Radio Smack Nova 7. Really stiff, low compliance surrounds. Is this right?

I came across a pair of RS Nova 7 the other day. They seemed intact behind the grills. I was unable to resist the walnut veneer and the $12.50 price, so I brought them home. They got the requisite rubdown with Howards and look pretty good. The 8" woofers have cast baskets! The cones seem really...
  17. pete1729

Question about power supply capacitors in a MAC1900

One of the big caps has clearly failed. It's bulging a little and the plastic wrap has a little ripple in it. The receiver does not put out sound other than a buzz. The caps in question are C503 and C504, 9300uf/50V. Obviously I'll want to use components of the same or slightly higher specs...
  18. pete1729

How to clean sealed volume pots? Marantz Model 7 sounds scratchy.

I'm doing a little maintenance and performance review of everything today. The volume pots on my Marantz preamp are a little scratchy. Is there a clever way to get Deoxit in there?
  19. pete1729

Snap, crackle, and pop in one channel of my beloved Panasonic SU-3604.

This integrated amp literally showed up on my doorstep a few years ago. It was in its original packaging. I plugged it in and it leaked a little smoke, so I replaced the filter caps in the power supply and maybe some resistors too, I forget now. I hooked it up to my KLH Model Sixes. I liked...
  20. pete1729

Turntable and tonearm ID from potato quality images anyone? I was able to spot a Gray 108

These are from an estate sale an hour and a half from me. One tonearm is a Gray research 108 which I would love to have for my Thorens 124. One of the platters looks Fairchild like. Anybody see something they recognize? IMAG0020 by pete1729 posted Dec 10, 2016 at 9:41 AM
  21. pete1729

Advice about my Panasonic ST-3600 tuner sought. It will not tune FM or AM. Is this a PS issue?

I've had this tuner for a few years, it's a handsome piece of equipment which I dearly love. It was purchased on eBay to mate with a NOS Panasonic SU-3604 integrated amp which was literally dumped on my doorstep. The tuner has performed admirably since 2018 with absolutely no maintenance...
  22. pete1729

Do these JBL drivers and horns look like they have hifi potential?

Sorry about the potato quality photos. They're screenshots of a craigslist ad. The seller says he doesn't have the units quite yet but will let me know model #'s etc. when he can.
  23. pete1729

Complete noob here, I need to learn the basics of streaming.

My fiancee's daughter needs an actual stereo so she can play music for herself and her 1 year old son. I have a Superscope QRT-440 receiver for her and a pair of JBL L-19's. I am a great believer in FM stereo broadcast between 88 and 92 Mhz, but kids these days get their music from the internet...
  24. pete1729

5881 powered mono amp by Knight. Odd voltages at phase splitter and power supply.

I bought this amp a few years ago to use for a dedicated mono system. It came out of Kalispell, MT. I bought it from a woman who had in turn got it from the estate of a man she did in home care for. The amp came in its original box from Allied Radio, it was delivered Christmas eve of 1956. It...
  25. pete1729

Question about tube 'ringing' in a Marantz 7C.

I am in the process of overhauling a Marantz tube preamp. I have swapped out both rectifiers following Crooner's program and rebuilt the power supply with Hayseed Hamfest caps and Takman metal film resistors. The phono section seemed a tad noisy so I have replaced a couple of plate resistors...
Back
Top Bottom