Search results

1. instatone

Phono preamp

Jim, After reading a majority of positive reviews of the PS AUDIO GCPH I am inclined to snag one and be done with the research. One rookie question - do I plug it into my phono input on my mc2505, into another input such as aux (which is currently take up by a wifi streamer) or directly into...
  2. instatone

Phono preamp

Thanks for the vote for Puffin. I did funny enough just watch a video review of it. Puffin sounds like it’s running circles around other preamp makers just because of its versatility. I guess for real analog enthusiasts they would feel it is breaking the analog chain, but sounds like it’s...
  3. instatone

Phono preamp

Nothing is wrong with it, but I’ve now experienced the upgrade at my friends house. Once he added the Phenomena 2 it enhanced the sound significantly from what was in his Marantz. I am hoping to come close on my own system.
  4. instatone

Phono preamp

Any phone prestage recommendations to pair with my system? What do you recommend for a MM phono stage standalone upgrade for my Thorens TD160 with MM cart? It is driven currently by McIntosh 2505 and C26. Current speakers are JBL 4311 with a SVS sub. Price range is sub $600 Thanks friends!
  5. instatone

Choosing speakers for McIntosh 2505 + C25 power amp

Hi Bill, sure, if I HAVE to add some extra dough so be it.. Just not in the mood to drop $4K on speakers. Maybe $2K. :). But I do want the wooden cabinet vintage look and nothing monstrously large. I have a pair of horn towers from the 90s upstairs on my other McIntosh and although they just...
  6. instatone

The condition is pretty perfect. I can send you pictures but they look great. I bought them from a nice place so I assume they've been refurbished internally but can't say for certain. There is no white noise or hum when I turn up the volume and have nothing playing, for instance.
  7. instatone

I’m quite unhappy with my Quads paired with my McIntosh 2505 and C26. I went as far as adding a pricy SVS subwoofer but am finally going to bite the bullet and try to find a better pairing for my beautiful McIntosh. I would prefer to spend $1k for speakers. The room has one open wall that...
  8. instatone

Is the ads 810 truly a great speaker or not

Sorry to jump in 4 years later in this thread, but If you had a choice between 810s and klipsch kg4, what's your pleasure and why? Both are same price at the store here. I am starting with a clean slate. Have to purchase TT and amp too.
  9. instatone

Amp pairing question

I have a question about an amp. I am looking for suggestions for a new amp for my sister since she doesn't want to fix the vintage Marantz I got her. Price should be no more than 600 dollars She has Epos Epic 2 speakers and a 1200 MK2 technics TT with grado blue stylus. What would pair well...
  10. instatone

Firm Funk Acromat issue

The tape came with it and is recommended. It reduces the space between mat and platter. Makes perfect sense.
  11. instatone

Firm Funk Acromat issue

I ended up removing the metal 45 adaptor and it seemed to allow the vinyl to drop more deeply on the spindle. That makes no sense to me as I play normal LPs on it on the standard rubber mat for the last 9 months?
  12. instatone

Firm Funk Acromat issue

I recently purchased the Acromat for my Thorens TD160 and fixed it with double tape. It is flat and looks right but there doesn't seem to be enough room for my record to be pushed down on spindle. I got the correct width from them (3mm) so not quite sure what is the problem. The record is not...
  13. instatone

Garrard DD75 - Worth Fixing?

Suspended chassis Thanks. I was wondering that as I read a ton on how cumbersome the procedure is. My confusion about it is that I didn't know if my floor or furniture was unlevel, even though I can visually identify then chassis being off kilter such that when you bounce it the base of the...
  14. instatone

Hi Nat, your opinion seems to have been a good one. I replaced my Garrard DD75 with a Thorens TD160 MK1 and it is definitely an improvement. I added a Grado Blue to make sure I started with a fresh cart. I am currently listening to Beck's Sea Change on Mofi on a fairly low volume (since it's...
  15. instatone

Garrard dd75 I have an ma 5100 Macintosh amp with a garrard dd75 TT looking to upgrade the cartridge. The amp is paired with Klipsch. Looking to upgrade the cartridge. The store I bought suggested Ortafone due to to balance the signature Mac warm amp sound. What does the forum suggest...
  16. instatone

Set up I attempted following recommended instructions and could not get the anti skate setting to mirror the recommended weight without misbehaving. So I reduced the antiskate setting and it seems to at least be playing though does not seem to still be set properly according to directions...
  17. instatone

setting ETI_5000, Also, I was surprised that you were telling me 1.25g. As you can see from the photo I am attaching, it appears on .5 g. I experimented and moved to 1.25 and heard a distortion/grinding/squeak sound so moved it back.
  18. instatone

ETI_5000, Thank you very much for your indepth reply. I have thus far taken your advice and kept pretty much everything in tact until it is needed. I have since then upgraded my marantz 2230 to a McIntosh MA 5100 and am pleased, however the speakers I have, Klipsch RS-II, occassionally seem...
  19. instatone

McIntosh - Hints and Kinks

thanks much! I will give it a shot. I just got a 5100 and am excited to demo it. Any other tips about it please let me know.
  20. instatone

MA 5100 - cabinet and buttons, oh my!

I am a newbie to this forum and new owner of a MA 5100. It was pricy but it was hard to turn it down. 1. Cabinet Question I noticed the "guts" are all exposed and some forum-goers are talking about cabinets. I clearly see that the cabinets enhance the aesthetics (or rather complete them as...
  21. instatone

Marantz 2265

There are two Marantz 2265 available in my area - one for $400 on CL and one at a store with a warranty for $470. Both seem steep to me. Thoughts? Also thinking of trading up for them with my 2230. Any suggestions on price or trade up suggestions? Or should I pass due to the steep price...
  22. instatone

piercing guitar - Klipsch RF3II

Sorry ahead of time for the cross post - I did not realize there was a dedicated section for Klipsch. I am looking for a better amp to get to soften the piercing guitar noise (ie. "Something Else" repressing on Earmark by Kinks on vinyl). I'm getting a bit fatigued by the piercing trebles...
  23. instatone

Best Marantz for Klipsch RF3 II speakers?

Marantz 2265 Thanks, my range is probably in the 22XX series level unfortunately. I've read quite a bit about the 2265 as well as the 2270. I'm not sure exactly what the differences are but it seems both have fairly high reviews. There are two Marantz 2265s for sale in my area that I could...
  24. instatone

Best Marantz for Klipsch RF3 II speakers?

I am in love with the warm sound of Marantz Vintage Amps, and have been using a 2235 for a while, however there is a slight staticky sound that my technician cannot reproduce, so I am hoping to use this as an excuse to upgrade to another Marantz. I currently have Klipsch RF3 II speakers...
  25. instatone

Epos Epic 2

Epic 2 distortion/rumble with Marantz 1150 on Technics MK2 1200 Thanks for the review. I'm not a self-proclaimed audiophile but I love quality. I pulled the trigger on the Epic 2s yesterday. I bought floor models from Audio Vision in SF for 670.00. We really liked the price and the sound...
Back
Top Bottom