Search results

1. DurhamSud

Spendor BC1 - woofer

Thank you for your suggestions. I took the woofer out and looked it over the best I could without detaching the cone from its surrounds. It looked perfect but continued to grind regardless of how I rotated it. Spoke to two people over the phone who suspected that there was a problem with the...
  2. DurhamSud

Spendor BC1 - woofer

Party? Impossible. I tied the kids up and locked them in their cages myself before going to bed.
  3. DurhamSud

Spendor BC1 - woofer

Hello everyone, I haven't posted here in a long time. I have decided to today because of a speaker problem... I woke up this morning and found one of the woofers of my Spendor BC1's not working. It rubs when I push it in or out. The working one doesn't, it bounces in and out with smooth...
  4. DurhamSud

Michell Tecnoarm clips

I have recently purchased a turntable with a Michell Tecnoarm. The wire on this arm is (quoted from their brochure) "wired with our proprietary wiring loom and 99.9999% pure silver litz wire, from cartridge tags to phono plugs, with no internal wiring joints." I have never seen clips like the...
  5. DurhamSud

Modded Dual CS-5000

I just picked up a Dual CS-5000. When I peeked under the platter, I noted something that shouldn't have been there. Please refer to the attached photos. The first two images (Dual cs-5000 01.jpg & Dual cs-5000 02.jpg) are what the inside is supposed to look like. Take a look at the far right...
  6. DurhamSud

Ortofon OM mystery stylus

I agree that it is not made by Ortofon. What I am saying is that the manufacturer appears to be Pfanstiehl and the tip was made for quadraphonic lps. At least, that's what I think...
  7. DurhamSud

I don't think that it is a generic stylus. I've done a bit of searching and I think it is a Pfanstiehl aftermarket for Ortofon OM series. It seems Pfanstiehl embossed a Q on the top of stylus made for quadraphonic lps. I have found a couple of other Pfanstiehl's with the Q. Here is one made for...
  8. DurhamSud

Someone suggested it could be an aftermarket stylus compatible with quadraphonic records. Hence, the "Q". On The Voice of Music website. I found this page. Towards the end of the page, under the subject heading "Meaning of Uniform Suffixes," they mention this: Q: Special tip for playing...
  9. DurhamSud

Could be. But every version of the QBert I see has some kind of a funky fly stamped on top and the letter S on the side.
  10. DurhamSud

Hello. I picked up a gorgeous Dual CS-5000 turntable today. It came with an Ortofon OM cart but I can identify the stylus. It is all black except for a gold colored "Q" on the top where the red dot usually is. Can anyone help me identify it? I've attached two photos. Thank you!
  11. DurhamSud

Exposure VII preamp matched with Perreaux 3150

Hello Folks, I have a simple quested regarding the matching of an amp with a preamp. If you had the choice between matching a Perreaux 3150 with the Perreaux SM2 or with an Exposure VII (with Exposure VI power supply) which would you choose? I am assuming the Exposure VII is most likely...
  12. DurhamSud

Yamaha CA 1010

Forgive me for resurrecting this post. I just would like very clear instructions for using the Yamaha CA-1010 as a preamplifier only and connecting it to an external amplifier. Do I: 1- Switch decoupler to off position 2- Plug in external amplifier to Main In. Thanks. I want to try it but...
  13. DurhamSud

Impressive Wharfedale Dovedale 3 Speakers

Hello There Surfnsound, I am looking at a pair of Wharfedale Dovetail 3 myself and was wondering how your recapping went? Are you satisfied with your choice of replacements? Thanks.
  14. DurhamSud

Yamaha CR-2020 won't power off

Yeah. Really glad it's fixed. Had a smile on my ace all day!
  15. DurhamSud

I soldered the thing I mentioned above and it worked! It's fixed! It powers on and off as it should. I'm stoked. So that was it, one of the connections on the inside mechanism (very hard to get and ad solder) that broke off. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions. Especially avionic, your...
  16. DurhamSud

I finally was able to lift the PS board and had a look. All solders look fine. Though I did notice something which looks odd. I will try to explain. The power switch is connected to two mechanisms wrapped in a see-through plastic casing (refer to the posted photo which shows the front plastic...
  17. DurhamSud

Warning received EchoWars. The bad solder connections I can deal with. Lifting the top PS board though is a bitch. Any tips? I unscrewed the two screws and tried prying the board up but it is very tight. Do I need to disassemble anything else?
  18. DurhamSud

Thanks for the service bulletins avionic. I would love to do them myself but they are unfortunately Chinese to me... Can you help me to locate the series pass transistors in the regulated power supplie(s) in the image supplied?
  19. DurhamSud

Thank you all for your responses. I opened it up and could find no apparent problems. The switch did not disengage nor did I accidentally solder anything together that I should not have. I have been using a power bar switch to power on and off but recently, this has technique has had its...
  20. DurhamSud

Thank you all for your responses, but they don't really address my initial question, which is how could soldering a lamp affect the power switch? The switch was working just fine, and then I soldered one lamp (the third from the left IIRC) and then powered it up and it has not wanted to power...
  21. DurhamSud

bktheking can you please elaborate on what you mean by "The switch took a shit"? clinic-audio I'll have to check if the switch is in fact disconnected from the lever. Thanks.
  22. DurhamSud

Well this one has me stumped! I was installing the front panel lights on the Yamaha CR-2020 yesterday. As I soldered the third light, I powered it up to test it and since then the unit no longer powers off. I flick the switch up and down and it stays on regardless. It worked just fine before...
  23. DurhamSud

Monitor Audio MA1 series II - recap job

I listened to them all day yesterday and the MA1's just kept sounding better and better. I was told by the original owner that they have not been used for several years and I imagine they needed a little working over to open up. So I'm going to hold off the recapping for now. Thanks for the...
  24. DurhamSud

Sure thing. Images posted. I must say that gguillot's post has got me thinking whether I really need to recap the speakers after all. I mean they sound fine but I thought they could even sound better. They are close to 40 year old speakers. Could it be possible that the original caps that...
  25. DurhamSud

Thanks for your reply. I see. Does anybody know where I can source these locally in the Montreal area? Or do I need to mail order them?
Back
Top Bottom