Search results

1. jeffn

AK is 19 years old, so we're having a raffle.

2. jeffn

British Hi-fi showdown: IMF RSPM Mk IV vs. Kef 107

I have a question, or maybe its just a comment, about how I often read that the IMF RSPM needs huge amounts of power. I don't recall the date the IMF RSPM was released but guessing late 70's?. I would have thought that high-powered amps were quite rare back then and that makes me doubt a speaker...
  3. jeffn

Amazing IMF RSPM MK IV improved

I replaced all the caps the other day (what a task that was) and there is a noticeable improvement. I imagine (at least) less smearing in the mids and I think better more defined bass. I'm using then exclusively over some magnepan .7s at the moment. The Maggie's do better for clarity and...
  4. jeffn

IMF owners thread!

Hi I've got some new-to-me IMF RSPM Mark IV's and would like to understand what amps they would couple best with. Currently I have a primaluna evo 400 tube amp putting out about 90wpc from 8 x KT-150 valves. I read that tube amps don't have high damping factor and read somewhere else that the...
  5. jeffn

Amazing IMF RSPM MK IV improved

I realise this thread is now quite old. Did you ever solve the bass issue? I just bought similar speakers and don't have the same problem though i did expect them to go a bit lower than they do.
  6. jeffn

Sx1250 no FM sound but the meters work

Thank you both for your help and I'll get to pull the unit apart before long to see what's going on. I did run an RCA from the FM det out into a tape input and I could get FM loud and clear. I've also noticed that my FM reception rarely gets above 2. Not sure why, and that's with a simple T...
  7. jeffn

I'll try that I forgot to mention that if I press the multipath button I do get sound but the reception reception isn't the best.
  8. jeffn

Hi, I hate to log in again just cos I'm in need, but I'm low on browsing time nowadays. I've got this sx1250 and had it for years but it puts out no FM. When tuning, the tuning and strength meters work and the stereo light will light up etc as it's picking up stations.... But no sound.... Any...
  9. jeffn

Sx1250 or NAD 2200 for magnepan

Did you ever match them up?
  10. jeffn

Akai as-1080 - ganged mode selector woes

Akai AS-1080. On one of the multi position selectors I have to have the switch half way between positions to properly select that position. All other selections work ok. I can only imagine thar the associated contact disc on the selector shaft has slipped somehow so that to make the connection I...
  11. jeffn

NAD 2200 or 2600

Yeah I wondered about bridging two different amps....
  12. jeffn

NAD 2200 or 2600

So I had the NAD 2200 already and today bought a NAD 1300 preamp.... It came with a free non-working 2600 power envelope power amp. The non working 2600 just needed it's dodgy internal voltage selector bypassed . Now it works fine . Love those wins! I just have too much gear to keep both (or...
  13. jeffn

NAD3020 dead TX. How to power preamp.

Thanks leesonic The 7020"s are easy to find around here (Australia) but I'm not sure which carry the silver/gold transformer. Is that a rare or common tx in the 7020? Or is there a model designation to look out for (eg 7020e ) Jeff
  14. jeffn

NAD3020 dead TX. How to power preamp.

So my loved NAD 3020 went into tx meltdown after a new power switch proved to be an incorrect part and seemed to ground the TX till it smoked. Anyway, I got to thinking, I'm currently after a preamp so I thought if I could run a supply just to the preamp stage of the 3020 somehow I'd be in...
  15. jeffn

Good info thanks. I've never used a seperate power amp before. I'd just be using another integrated amps pre-out to the 2200. Do you think it matters much of I use the SX or I do have a little NAD3020 also. Seems a waste to have the sx power section laying unused......
  16. jeffn

Hi I'm currently using an sx1250 for magnepan mg.7's. It goes ok though gets quite warm sometimes. I was thinking of getting something more 4ohm oriented like the NAD2200 power amp for the grunt work. Looking at the simple power specs the sx holds up ok. Is there no need to move off the sx...
  17. jeffn

SX-1250 idle current/voltage

How much cooler should the sx run reducing idle current from 100 to say 75? I'm currently driving magnepan .u7's and could do with a temperature drop.
  18. jeffn

Just bought magnepan .7

Just a quick note. Yesterday here in Australia I drove an hour to a magnepan outlet and auditioned the mmgi Maggies. I thought they were ok but went out for lunch to think about it. Then I made the decision that they just werent good enough to make me buy a pair. . I started heading home then...
  19. jeffn

NAD 4080 ... Lights on, nobody home

Wow Wow man, thanks for the detailed response. That gives me a great flight path to head off on. I'll let you know how I get on.
  20. jeffn

Yes both AM and FM not working. I tend to think it's not a switch. The first time it went dead it recovered by itself just by leaving it turned on for a couple of days running then it suddenly worked again. The thing lights up so the power supply must be good.
  21. jeffn

This nice tuner worked perfectly. Then one day went silent. Meters unmoving. Then another day started up again. Now it's silent. Lights on, nobody home. Any knowledge here on typical issues on these units? I think they're uncommon so I'm expecting too much hands on experience. Thanks in advance.
  22. jeffn

Whats an Optonica SM-4646 worth? and is it decent?

I ended up buying that amp.. That was 10 years ago. I still have it and would never sell. Such a seriously well built quality piece of gear. No gimmicks, just an audio buffs delight.
  23. jeffn

Sx1250 FM only works in multipath mode

Ok. Is this a job requiring the face to come off? I'll try to Google it, thanks waggs
  24. jeffn

Sx1250 FM only works in multipath mode

This SX of mine acts like it's tuning in FM channels (needles move... and stereo_light lights up at what is channel locations).. But no sound. If I hit the multipath button I get sound but the reception quality isn't that great.. Any ideas what could be wrong with this giant. ?
  25. jeffn

Orphan Amp needs ID'ing

Wow just noticed this thread alive again. I no longer have that amp but think of it now and then.
Back
Top Bottom