Search results

1. jeffn

Sx1250 no FM sound but the meters work

Hi, I hate to log in again just cos I'm in need, but I'm low on browsing time nowadays. I've got this sx1250 and had it for years but it puts out no FM. When tuning, the tuning and strength meters work and the stereo light will light up etc as it's picking up stations.... But no sound.... Any...
  2. jeffn

Akai as-1080 - ganged mode selector woes

Akai AS-1080. On one of the multi position selectors I have to have the switch half way between positions to properly select that position. All other selections work ok. I can only imagine thar the associated contact disc on the selector shaft has slipped somehow so that to make the connection I...
  3. jeffn

NAD 2200 or 2600

So I had the NAD 2200 already and today bought a NAD 1300 preamp.... It came with a free non-working 2600 power envelope power amp. The non working 2600 just needed it's dodgy internal voltage selector bypassed . Now it works fine . Love those wins! I just have too much gear to keep both (or...
  4. jeffn

NAD3020 dead TX. How to power preamp.

So my loved NAD 3020 went into tx meltdown after a new power switch proved to be an incorrect part and seemed to ground the TX till it smoked. Anyway, I got to thinking, I'm currently after a preamp so I thought if I could run a supply just to the preamp stage of the 3020 somehow I'd be in...
  5. jeffn

Sx1250 or NAD 2200 for magnepan

Hi I'm currently using an sx1250 for magnepan mg.7's. It goes ok though gets quite warm sometimes. I was thinking of getting something more 4ohm oriented like the NAD2200 power amp for the grunt work. Looking at the simple power specs the sx holds up ok. Is there no need to move off the sx...
  6. jeffn

Just bought magnepan .7

Just a quick note. Yesterday here in Australia I drove an hour to a magnepan outlet and auditioned the mmgi Maggies. I thought they were ok but went out for lunch to think about it. Then I made the decision that they just werent good enough to make me buy a pair. . I started heading home then...
  7. jeffn

NAD 4080 ... Lights on, nobody home

This nice tuner worked perfectly. Then one day went silent. Meters unmoving. Then another day started up again. Now it's silent. Lights on, nobody home. Any knowledge here on typical issues on these units? I think they're uncommon so I'm expecting too much hands on experience. Thanks in advance.
  8. jeffn

Sx1250 FM only works in multipath mode

This SX of mine acts like it's tuning in FM channels (needles move... and stereo_light lights up at what is channel locations).. But no sound. If I hit the multipath button I get sound but the reception quality isn't that great.. Any ideas what could be wrong with this giant. ?
  9. jeffn

Loud POP changing sources.

This old girl has a very loud POP when changing between phono,aux,FM,AM. So much so that I usually turn it off before changing source. It's just as loud regardless of volume setting. If it suffering dirty switches (pushbutton style) or something more sinister....failing caps somewhere? Jeff
  10. jeffn

Sx-1250. 110v model in Australia's 240v environment

So I've got this sx and use a massive 240/110 transformer to run it. The bloody thing has an annoying hum (the tx). Would the sx's transformer have a 240v input winding? Thinking I could rewire the supply? Thanks p.s it'd sat unused 4 years with one channel dead but yesterday I noted a fried...
  11. jeffn

So, made some zigmahornets.

12. jeffn

Is it worth building your own speaker cabinets

I've got a sudden bug to build my own speakers to some kind of plan (couldn't design them myself). I haven't decided yet whether to use drivers from existing speakers I have, all go all new. I'd imagine that OEM speaker cabinets are not ideally designed so as to take up less room for...
  13. jeffn

sx1250 protection. lol

I say lol because I've read so many threads on this. I'm running a US version here in Australia so I have a dirty great TX driving it. I'll try to be brief. Cold starts result in a lot of left channel pops and scratchy sounds but also the regular clicking in and out of protection. Occasionally...
  14. jeffn

Akai AS-1080 hiss and pops

Hi This Akai is a great looking unit, large and plenty of knobs to twiddle. But I have one channel with a low level hiss/static sound that does not vary with volume and the other channel randomly pops and clicks. I can still play the unit with minimal discomfort but in quiet sections...
  15. jeffn

optonica 4646 build specs ... quality?

I was just listening to this amp.... sounds great. Then I read a bit of a blurb at http://www.thevintageknob.org/optonica-SM-4646.html I don't know enough to understand if the tech talk is unusually good design or no different than any other amp. Any comments as to what it all means and is it...
  16. jeffn

nad3020 takes a few minutes before making sound

This problem has gotten worse to the point it takes about ten minutes now after turning on during which time I can hear sound very faintly and then when it does get louder it's distorted for a further few minutes before becoming ok. What on earth could this be?
  17. jeffn

resister for super tweeter?

Hi I'm running a pair of all-ribbon magnat 10p speakers and have a pair of CAT No. 40_1310A super tweeters. The power is coming from an sx1250. The super tweeters seem overly bright on what it's already a fairly bright set of speakers. Should I put a resister in line? Where should I start ...
  18. jeffn

What's been happenin' ?

Long time no see. But I'm still here..... Currently listening to an lp on a dual 701 through an sx1250 and magnat 10p's with realistic super tweeters. (yes, a little bright). As per my avatar.... Having a glass of red. Hi all from down here in Australia :-) (and a bit too much hum from the...
  19. jeffn

He might have a point

http://www.decware.com/paper20.htm
  20. jeffn

Optonica NAD aiwa Sony duel magnat realistic system

recent lounge room setup I haven't been in here for a long while but after stumbling across a duel 701 with a shure V-15 type 3 for $50 I got the bug again. Luckily the Optonica SM-4646 has a flexible phono stage.... Seperate amp for the phono stage, 2 phono inputs, one with gain adjustment...
  21. jeffn

Leaving AK.....ready for change

Hi there. I've been on AK for what seems like an eternity but its only been a year or two. Like a lot of us I've spent too much time here browsing and reading; even if it was about topics and equipment that I didn't understand, didn't own, and never would. Still I browsed.......hours...
  22. jeffn

Just got an int-amp........ 3 transformers...... guess what?

one transformer for each channel and one for the pre-amp :banana: and a bargain...... any guesses ?
  23. jeffn

DIY Dog Treats

I inadvertently spoil my dog. Tonight I had a T-Bone steak while I fed him a can of dog food and some dry food mixed in. He basically left it alone and sat at the BBQ waiting for what he thought was his REAL dinner while I cooked mine. I caved in and cooked the 2nd T-Bone I'd bought for...
  24. jeffn

Do we have an Emergency Plan should AK disappear?

In the event that one day you get error 404 when trying to access AK..... and you try later and it's still the same........... and the next day and the next....... where's everyone going to go to? :tears:
  25. jeffn

Reckon an Ortofon OM20 is too light for an AR-XB Turntable?

The AR's have a fairly hefty arm by the look of the ebay ad I'm gazing at. Is this the wrong cart/TT combo? I may as well also ask if this is a reasonable improvement over a Sony PS-5520 TT
Back
Top Bottom