Search results

1. fiream773

8 track question?

Long gone now, but we had a couple of bootleg compilation 8-tracks back in the early 70's - "Super Hits, Vol. 9" and "Super Hits, Vol 10". One had an orange label and the other was purple, both with typewritten track listings on top and tape title on the rear edge. I remember them having...
  2. fiream773

Ray Manzarek has died...

I heard the news on the radio late this afternoon. Threw the Doors debut LP (original Stereo pressing) on the TT and played it LOUD while fixing dinner tonight. My God, the bass on "Back Door Man" can rattle bricks loose in the neighbor's house! Woo! RIP, Ray.
  3. fiream773

What to do about "VINYLS"

Weather people pick witchever word their o.k. using is theyre own choise. I think its ironical that people are using wrong grammer like 'vinyls'. u got to say it how u r comfortible, but thats a whole nother subject. OK, I can't even force myself to butcher the language any further. I hate...
  4. fiream773

Vinyl records making a comeback through sleevface

Yes. "Mind your gap" is no longer just applicable to driving in England...
  5. fiream773

Earl Scheib, Where Are You?

...and to think I've been dipping my broom in a can of Weatherbeater to touch up my Fiat.
  6. fiream773

Akai GX-266D - What difference does it make?

Larry & Jan, I really appreciate this detailed info. I'm a pretty mechanically adept person, but just getting my feet wet on the 'tronics. I have enlisted the help of a knowledgeable friend for this project and glad to have some direction on which transistors & caps to buy & where to get them...
  7. fiream773

Akai GX-266D - What difference does it make?

OK - it's on the bench with all of the outer panels removed. Inside is relatively clean considering it was in a musty garage when I got it. Horizontal surfaces all have a thin layer of dust. I'm open to any suggestions on removing the dust - my thought is to use a soft bristle brush dry...
  8. fiream773

Kids today, they just don't get it...

Age is not always an accurate indicator of knowledge. I was a teeneger when I got a job at an oldies radio station because I could consistently demonstrate my knowledge of 50's & 60's music. One of my PD's favorite activities was to hit the start button and point to me before the song was even...
  9. fiream773

Let's see and hear about your coolest 12" singles:

IIRC, the LP cut & the 12" dance cut are the same version. LP was originally released on the Oasis label, the 12" single was released on Casablanca (who owned Oasis, anyway). I guess that was their way of selling more coipes on the master label... Yes, radio versions were shorter, but I...
  10. fiream773

Help painting a turntable

I restore cars (not professionally) so spray paint is my best friend. I totally agree that a smooth professional finish can come from a rattle-can with proper prep, cure times and careful sanding & buffing. One word of caution if you go with a metallic finish - wet sanding causes problems...
  11. fiream773

Yeah. This is the guy I want to deal with.

Yes, this dude is way OCD, but you know exactly what you're buying and as anal as he is about his ad, you have to believe he takes care of his gear. Guess I'll be the lone dissenter here, but I'd rather have an ad like this that offers way too much info than the online sellers who put...
  12. fiream773

Of which LP's do you have too many copies & why?

We have a winner. This was what I was looking to confirm by posting this topic. It's amazing how emotional I can get flipping through LP's - I'm such a sentimental fool if it's clean enough & cheap enough I'll just buy the damn thing. I'm getting better as i get older, but I could probably...
  13. fiream773

The Perfect Rock Song

As a loyal subject entranced by anything recorded by the Who, it pains me to humbly withdraw my nomination of "Won't Get Fooled Again" and submit.... "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty OK, Rafferty's legacy will never include memorable vocals, but this one glorious flash of brilliance so...
  14. fiream773

Of which LP's do you have too many copies & why?

I think we've all been there - Your original '71 Decca pressing of "Who's Next" got chewed up 'cause you played it to death on mom & dad's '57 Magnavox console, so you bought an MCA re-issue after you graduated, but your buddy wanted to borrow it & make a tape of it & retuned it with a nasty...
  15. fiream773

Do Most Audio Enthusiasts Dislike Country Music?

Yep. Did manage to visit the Country Music Hall of Fame while I was in Bristol and was inspired to add some Carter Family LP's to my collection. Can't say I have a whole bunch of dulcimer stuff outside of that, but it's there and I appreciate its place in American music. My family is from...
  16. fiream773

Do Most Audio Enthusiasts Dislike Country Music?

:thmbsp: Absolutely verbatim, ditto, I concur, nail on the head, etc., etc., etc. I was a pro mobile DJ in Kentucky 20 years ago and forced to play Friends In Low Places, Achy Breaky Heart, Boot Scootin' Boogie & Chatahoochie every farkin' weekend. I despised country before that so the early...
  17. fiream773

Scored my first RTR, an Akai GX-646

1st off congrats on a great score! My freebie Akai GX-266D led me to AK and most who posted on this thread have offered similar advice which has definitely flattened my learning curve on my R2R. Consider me subscribed and keep the updates coming as you play with your new toy... :banana:
  18. fiream773

Writing on record sleeves

In 30 years of collecting, I've seen a lot of creative ways to prove ownership of records. Most often the names are just written on the cover in ball point pen, I have some where the owner wrote just inside the opening of the cover, then there are the OCD owners who used a label gun (not the...
  19. fiream773

Happy Ground Hog Day...don't drive ANGRY...!

...not bad for a quadraped.
  20. fiream773

Really??? Parents putting up an ad on CL to sell Girl Scout cookies for daughter...

Thank God you aren't my neighbor - I'd weigh 400 lbs! :drool:
  21. fiream773

Really??? Parents putting up an ad on CL to sell Girl Scout cookies for daughter...

It comes attached to the baby by a long, gray cord. The doctor may have accidentally thrown it out after you returned the scissors... It does amaze me how my two children, born to the same parents two years apart and raised in the same household, can be such different people. So, agreed...
  22. fiream773

...and for the record - this doesn't bother me. Kids are in school, Girl Scout Cookies are a popular item so why not let mom/dad put the order sheet in the break room. What's important is that mom/dad is HELPING (daughter still responsible for accounting/ordering/staging for delivery). Hell...
  23. fiream773

Nothing wrong with your scenario - includung the daughter being crushed. I don't feel it's my job to protect my kids from life's disappointments. It's my job to teach them how to deal with life's disappointments. :thmbsp: *Edit* - What's scary to me about this whole situation is the...
  24. fiream773

The $300,000 Aston Martin kept in a barn for 33 years

About 15 years ago, a buddy of mine answered an auto trader ad for a '67 Camaro or equivalent and the seller had a delapidated barn full of rotting 60's cars - one of which was a '64 DB5. The car would have had to come home in a dumptruck as the floors & pretty much all structural members had...
  25. fiream773

Are you farkin' kidding me?!?!?!? I'm done. :tears:
Back
Top Bottom