Search results

1. gtx580

Sensitivity and "hard to drive" speakers

Glad the OP posted this question as I,ve had the same question in mind. I do understand that some amps cannot dip down into that 1 ohm range without issues , but I am wondering what does a speaker gain in audio quality by demanding that much power at say , 20 khz? as compared to a speaker that...
  2. gtx580

Lintons vs NLAs

I,m just curious if anyone has updated from the New Large Advents to the Wharfdale Lintons. If you have , what were your thoughts? I,ve had a nice set of the NLAs in my main set up for quite a few years and have always enjoyed them. However , as always , I,m getting the " upgrade " bug and have...
  3. gtx580

Pioneer phono pre amp thoughts..

interesting. I do like the sound using the SX 850 phono stage , but I do have a small stack of Pioneer SA integrateds , maybe on a slow weekend I,ll do some experimenting and see what the difference may be.
  4. gtx580

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

Ken , just curious how this remaster sounds compared to the original.
  5. gtx580

Its been remastered by Kevin Gray and pressed on 180 gram vinyl and limited to 5000 copies. This is the first one of the new series that I,ve heard and I think he did a great job. I,m definitely not an expert but I can safely say my original copy of this album wasnt this clear and dynamic. Not...
  6. gtx580

The new Rhino Hi fidelity pressing of The Doobies " The captain and me".... this really is a great version!
  7. gtx580

Pyrrho....thank you for the input and your thoughts. I,ll probably move on do a little in depth research on stepping up to a higher end turntable. The SX850 does have a nice phono preamp and as you said , there are other areas that an upgrade will affect more. I,ve been recently into some of the...
  8. gtx580

Is Home Theater On Its Way Out?

interesting subject..... looking at it from my perspective , I have a nice mid level HT setup which I,ve had for a few years now. Early on we did use it extensively and really enjoyed sitting down and being immersed in a great movie with some amazing audio to add to the experience. However in...
  9. gtx580

I recapped and replaced most problematic transistors on the 850 a few years ago and have always been impressed with sound quality , either through the phono stage or any other inputs I use ( mostly bluetooth and a TEAC A 2300s I also redid at the same time. I also have numerous amp and receivers...
  10. gtx580

I,m just curious as to what everyones opinions are concerning the Phono stages in their vintage recievers. My main system consists of an SX 850 , Dual 606cs turntable, RG9 dynamic expander and NLA Advents. I have no issues with the sound quality and no complaints but , as with most vintage audio...
  11. gtx580

TMI? What Song Were you Listening To When You Lost Your Virginity?

Lets see... we were staying at Disneyworld so it was probably " The bare necessities" :)
  12. gtx580

question regarding replacing a lug style cap with a radial style on a main power board.

Thanks Painted.... I,m waiting on parts for a sx3700 recap , so to kill time and see what happens I,ll reinstall the originals , take readings and put some time on it , then install the new ones and see what differences I can see and hear. Whats interesting in that the originals test at 6800 -...
  13. gtx580

SX-850 Adventure

good luck on getting the 850 up and running! I bought an 850 a few years back and it was my introduction to working on vintage equipment....hadnt even picked up a soldering iron in almost 40yrs. The 850 had numerous issues starting with the " no relay click" to distortion in the phono section...
  14. gtx580

question regarding replacing a lug style cap with a radial style on a main power board.

Painted , Doug... thanks for the input. For now , I,ll reinstall the originals and then install the new ones and see what differences I can find in sound and readings . I,ve replaced all the other caps and it should be good to go for many years down the road! Chuck
  15. gtx580

Painted, thanks for the follow up. The 6800/50 radials I have are newer Nichicons . Can I jump up to 8200uf without any issues? I know its the power supply and shouldnt affect sound, but wasnt sure if anything else would be affected. I,m always going up , voltage wise , when recapping but dont...
  16. gtx580

Is it considered acceptable to replace a lug style cap on a main power board with a radial cap? My Pioneer SA 6500 Mk2 has 2 6800uf caps ( 42v) with lug spacing at 22mm. I dont see any replacements available on Mouser or Digikey that come close to those lug measurements. I do have 2 6800 uf 50...
  17. gtx580

Help needed with cap markings

Thanks! better to ask ahead of time.
  18. gtx580

Help needed with cap markings

Hello...just looking for help verifying these cap markings. I've recapped an SA 6500 and the 2 main caps have these markings. Am I reading these right , B is positive...-is the negative and A and C are dummy lugs ? Ill be replacing with a standard Nichicon radial cap so A and C spots will be...
  19. gtx580

Low level phono hum SA-6500II Pioneer

Thanks Mb.... I,ll give that a shot. If I didnt know better I would assume it was a grounding issue. After replacing the caps , I hooked up a pair of speakers and the hum was still there. I was going to carefully jostle a few ground wires to see if anything would be affected and every time I...
  20. gtx580

Low level phono hum SA-6500II Pioneer

Ok.... I,m digging up an OLD post but...... I,m having this same issue , a hum in the phono stage of an SA 6500 mk2 I,m working on. Very noticeable thru headphones and noticeable through the speakers when the volume is up. I,ve replaced the suggested caps and my voltages are looking to be in...
  21. gtx580

Knob for SX-3700

Those parts do pop up on Ebay now and then. I picked up a 3700 recently that had seen better days. I did find 2 replacement selector switches ( 2 were missing) and was able to repair 2 other selector switches that were broken. The only part I cannot find is the light bulb holder for the 4 lights...
  22. gtx580

transistor question...

Thanks for the help , not sure on the KSC1845YTA.... it may have been a mistype by the OP. The TA makes sense as they are delivered on a strip of tape. Thanks again!
  23. gtx580

transistor question...

The ones I have from Mouser are labeled " KSC1845FTA " on the package and the transistors themselves are stamped " C1845FCJ20 " ( at least thats what I can make out on them as the writing is very small! ) Mouser part # is 512-KSC1845FTA. The KSC 1845 YTA was recommended as a replacement...
  24. gtx580

transistor question...

Does anyone know if there is a difference between a KSC 1845YTA transistor and a KSC 1845 FTA transistor ? I want to replace a few old 2SC 458 transistors in a Realistic receiver and according to the forums , the replacement for these is the KSC 1845 YTA. I have the FTAs on the shelf . Are they...
  25. gtx580

Markthefixer in Elmhurst hospital, not for long?

speedy recovery Mark! You,re help and advice in the past years has truly helped me as I,ve been learning the ropes here!
Back
Top Bottom