2. Gnesen

It's the "Put A Smile On Your Face" thread, please contribute

And this one won’t poke you in the eye.
  3. Gnesen

Random Thoughts or Whatever

Reminds me of this. Seems fitting.
  4. Gnesen

Yep, I did a lot of recording like this on cassette. Good memories, but I fear the tapes are long gone. I have the same Sony table radio shown on the far left. It’s a great performer.
  5. Gnesen

TPA325x amps: the next step in Class D?

Nice. Thanks for the update. I'm waiting a bit before buying any more of these small chip amps to see how this space develops. It seems to be moving fast and furious. The Wiim Amp sure looks interesting.
  6. Gnesen

What tape (any format) are you playing now?

Thanks. I like this one. It doesn't have selectable NR, but you can choose between Type I and Type II/IV tapes. My little Aiwa PX347 is probably my best portable for tapes.
  7. Gnesen

Looking for low budget match for STA-90

They must be rare. I'm finding very little information on them elsewhere. Let your ears be the judge as to whether or not they're good. All that matters is if you're happy with them. That said, everything is relative. Being exposed to other speakers might be illuminating. Speakers I was happy...
  8. Gnesen

I’ve had this tape for at least 30 years. Still sounds good considering how much I played it back in the day.
  9. Gnesen

Nice. Please post a photo of the speakers if you have a chance. I’m not finding any online.
  10. Gnesen

Realistic Optimus-1Bs or Nova-7Bs would match perfectly with your STA-90. In my experience, either one is on par with EPI-100s or KLH 6s. Others to consider are the Nova-8B or Optimus-5B, but they are a bit larger. The 1Bs/7Bs are supposedly knockoffs of KLH 6s (and the 8Bs/5Bs are supposed...
  11. Gnesen

Realistic STA-120B Wind or SSSHHH noise.

Glad you got it working. Were the outputs not blown after all?
  12. Gnesen

That makes a lot more sense. It’s through headphones
  13. Gnesen

I'm probably not understanding, but you shouldn't get any sound out of it without the output transistors. It wouldn't even occur to me to try to hook up a pair of speakers without the outputs. Out of curiosity, how did you test and identify the blown output?
  14. Gnesen

Yamaha KX-W952 -- a beast of a dual-well deck

Fair enough. I should have wrote 'Type II' tapes instead of 'chrome'. My understanding is that Type IIs with cobalt don't have the same degradation as the true chrome tapes. Then again, the ones with cobalt are newer and should be recognized by the KX-W952 without issue.
  15. Gnesen

Random Thoughts or Whatever

Reminds me of this...
  16. Gnesen

Sorry for the delay. My 120B has a little background hiss when I turn up the volume all the way with no source playing. However that’s only the case if a source is connected and not playing. If RCA cables aren’t connected at both the source and input, the background whoosh is a lot more...
  17. Gnesen

Yamaha KX-W952 -- a beast of a dual-well deck

Just a quick shout out for the KX-W952, which might be the best dual-well deck ever made by Yamaha. Each well only has two heads, but each side has auto-reverse and is fully discrete with its own sets of inputs and outputs (that means a preamp/receiver/amp with two tape inputs and outputs is...
  18. Gnesen

The things I hate thread.........

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. Just not so much with cordless power tools. Harbor Freight doesn't sell quality tools for the most part, but that's a dangerous place for me to go. That reminds me, I have about ten rolls of Teflon and electrical tape because I can never find a roll...
  19. Gnesen

The things I hate thread.........

I agree. That's why I'm mostly locked into one (lesser) brand. At least it seems most portable consumer electronics (like iPhones) are settling into USB-C as the standard.
  20. Gnesen

I have an STA-120B (and a 120) that I restored with new caps and 2SC458s replaced. I will try to remember to check it tonight for a similar behavior. Feel free to ping me if I don't. For what it's worth, if you're turning the volume up way past where you would normally be listening, I wouldn't...
  21. Gnesen

Good call. I was going to say Flash, but then I remembered that was the dog from Dukes of Hazzard.
  22. Gnesen

My Aim Is True LP by Elvis Costello recorded onto a TDK SA-C90 and played on an Onkyo TA-R77.
  23. Gnesen

Post a Picture of your Tape Deck - Decks

I don’t remember if I’ve posted my lowly Optimus SCT-86. It’s actually a decent enough performer.
  24. Gnesen

Realistic Optimus X-30 speakers with built-in VU meters - cool!

I thought I knew pretty much every model of Realistic speaker made, but these are new to me. I know that I should avoid speakers with shiny dust caps and frequency response curves printed on the baffles, but I wish I had a pair.
  25. Gnesen

Mission Owners’ Thread

I had a pair of 731i's. I'm not sure how much they differed from the 731s, but I remember them sounding quite good.
Back
Top Bottom