Search results

1. BuddhaBob

Yamaha C-80 issue

Check the balance control and turn it several times in each direction. A bit of dust in mine wasn't noisy but did affect levels until I worked the control. Check, even though it *seems* to be phono-related.
  2. BuddhaBob

Sony WM-5 Walkman D.o.A.

Especially when the WM-F10 is DOA.
  3. BuddhaBob

20 amp extension cord.

Just a data point... if you look at a picture of the back of that amp, it shows 2900 Watts maximum. At 117VAC that's around 25 Amps. So that may be the maximum inrush current, at least briefly.
  4. BuddhaBob

20 amp extension cord.

I would get length of Romex or similar 2-wire plus ground, all solid copper, probably 12 gauge. Put connectors on each end, male/female--from Lowe's, Home Depot, or an electric or lighting supply. I don't think you can buy a 20-25 foot extension rated 20 amps anywhere near as cheap.
  5. BuddhaBob

How big a difference in the SQ of budget KT88?

Yes, that's the seller. He apparently has a supply of 2006 production '88s. No connection with him, just a happy customer. I've purchased vintage 12AX7s from him and also happy with those.
  6. BuddhaBob

How big a difference in the SQ of budget KT88?

Gold Lion KT88 here. Factory-matched quads from a longtime eBay tube seller and about $25 under your limit, yep. I'll re-order them later this year, keep 6550s as a spare set but the GL KT88 is gutsier yet with more listening ease.
  7. BuddhaBob

Jolida Jd9 mkii hum?

Tremendously happy with my JD9-II with Level I upgrades. I tried a couple of different 12AX7s in it, including '61 Mullards, and prefer the new Tung Sol gold pin tubes that were part of the upgrade. No hum, minimal hiss. I did remove the tube shields. I have used the JD9 successfully with an...
  8. BuddhaBob

Plug-in Computer-Type Fan for Amp?

I wire a pair of mid-size 12VDC PC case fans in series, then for power I run them with a 12V wall wart. Each fan gets 6V to run at a quiet half speed. It plugs into a switched outlet on my preamp, luckily there is room. Otherwise I would use a switched power strip. I put peel and stick adhesive...
  9. BuddhaBob

Hummm...

...and the screw and threaded mounting hole are conductive--many are plastic these days.
  10. BuddhaBob

Hummm...

Just an aside, I use a program called Audiotools on my iPhone to check the hum frequency and for many other audio tasks. You can have it overlay text next to the highest peak on the FFT window showing the frequency of that peak, very handy to see the hum frequency. I believe there is still a...
  11. BuddhaBob

Yamaha C-80

I wouldn't give mine up.
  12. BuddhaBob

Yamaha C80 capacitors question

There have been a few times when I have had to go to a replacement with radial leads and just put tubing over the top lead running down the side of the cap to the PCB. I prefer to maintain the look of the original, but if it means a $5-10 part vs a $50 part, I am not ashamed to make it work...
  13. BuddhaBob

Certainly suspect. You could look at Mouser and maybe find a good fit. Then google that p/n if you want to shop for price. Good luck.
  14. BuddhaBob

I can't answer the cap question definitively, I am sure someone will. AK member Avionic is usually the go-to person here on the Vintage Yamaha gear and you might try a PM. I will mention to anyone removing glue around the caps in an M80, there are some very small diodes in that mess, usually...
  15. BuddhaBob

I may have found some interesting stuff.

Looks as though that guy collected to the end. That pair of Pioneer/Andrew Jones SP-BS22-LR speakers can't be more than 18 months old.
  16. BuddhaBob

The tale of two Dynaco ST120

Glad you sorted that out and great project idea. I made a few of the reliability mods, beefier resistors at each and of the driver boards, replaced the electrolytics. I left the power supply stock as it performed fine for me, but I did see good web info regarding easy mods found through a web...
  17. BuddhaBob

The tale of two Dynaco ST120

It's a long shot, but I had odd distortion in my 120 and it turned out that I had to tighten one of the power transistors on the heat sink--a continuity issue. I don't have the amp anymore, but once I tightened down all of the output transistors, it was a great amp again. Anyway, an easy thing...
  18. BuddhaBob

Good cartridge matches for Sony X7 & Pioneer Pl-520

I have used both the Denon DL-110 and an AT440MLa on my Sony PS-LX5. I preferred the Denon with a previous preamp, an Emotiva SS, but the AT really sings with the standard MM setting on my Jolida JD9-II.
  19. BuddhaBob

trying to understand VU meters...

This might be useful to have for understanding the power and db relationships (page 11 from an MA6500 integrated amp user manual)... VU Meter Reading MA6500 by BuddhaBob posted Mar 11, 2016 at 10:28 PM
  20. VU Meter Reading MA6500

VU Meter Reading MA6500

VU Meter reading and power scale info (info from a McIntosh MA6500)
  21. BuddhaBob

Manufacture Made "Show OFF" Records

Audio Technica sponsored some of the earliest digital recordings with tremendous dynamic range. I really enjoy "Frederick Fennell, The Cleveland Symphonic Winds - Holst / Handel / Bach - Suite No. 1 In E-Flat • Suite No. 2 In F / Music For The Royal Fireworks / Fantasia In G" (Telarc - 5038).
  22. BuddhaBob

Best semi-automatic turntable?

There are some lifters that won't work on a Technics SL-1200, 1210 and others. Check carefully before buying, unless you are into fabricating parts or mounts.
  23. BuddhaBob

Official Jolida JD9 thread

Not quite a year and my purchase of a JD9II with Level1 mods is still unmodded, other than trying '61 Mullard 12AX7s. I thought I would want to change it more but I am very happy with it and prefer just listening. It pairs well with an AT 440MLa. With my Denon DL-110, it's more fiddly as to...
  24. BuddhaBob

TEAC A-3440 Manual

This may be an interesting read for you. It helped me fix my 3440... http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lez/Teac A3440/Teac A3440_a look at the circuitry.pdf EDIT: I see you refer to it in the OP. I'll leave the link here anyway as it may help someone.
  25. BuddhaBob

Stylus cleaning....I'm at a loss

Using an eye loupe and a small strip of dry Magic Eraser has removed the same from my DL-110 many times. Very light repeated wiping of each side with the Magic Eraser, back to front, returns a clean diamond and shiny cantilever for me. Good lighting is your friend.
Back
Top Bottom