Search results

1. BilboBaggins

Cerwin Vega D-9 Real or Fake?

I agree. I had the D-7Es and $185 would be no question as they are. My guess is these were an equivalent replacement part woofer.
  2. BilboBaggins

MC2205 - Nice Price!

It has sold now. I never saw what it was going for. Curious.
  3. BilboBaggins

My Lastest BoseBlose Special: The 4X301 Stack - Whaaat?

It looks pretty good! I am also curious about what amp/s is driving them?
  4. BilboBaggins

Need your help: Do I fix the Dual 1241 I got at auction or buy a new table in the $500-700 range

Yes, these suggestions are good. And please don't let him touch it any more. There are also some you tube videos on doing various repairs to dual turntables. I have fixed a few duals. The most common problem is a disintegrating steuerpimpel, and the drive mechanism in duals. The sled is another...
  5. BilboBaggins

Low end Mac from newbie

Apple Macintosh is very different from audio McIntosh. The first can produce sounds but is primarily a computer. The other is primarily for producing sounds, and you could actually use a Macintosh with a McIntosh. But the McIntosh forum is oriented towards McIntosh Audio. Don't know if this...
  6. BilboBaggins

Easy Come, Easy Go

I put in-ceiling speakers in my ensuite bathroom when we were renovating the house. I had installed the wire myself, with a terminator box where the TV/Stereo were going in the bedroom. I climbed into the attic(that was hell!) and ran the wire to the B&W speaker boxes I optionally purchased. The...
  7. BilboBaggins

Has the USPS Lost Its Mind?

This. As I remember, he was appointed about 6 months before your last election.
  8. BilboBaggins

What's your latest audio purchase?

Not exactly a new audio purchase, as I bought them during COVID lockdowns. However, I just got to hear them today! During COVID, I received my inheritance from my dad's passing. One of the things I used the inheritance on was to complete the renovations to my house that I bought in 2004, and...
  9. BilboBaggins

Please help me identify this RCA console and is it worth $25

Yeah, Facebook is your best source for a console. And if you are visiting somewhere else, it is often worth your while to do a detour for something special. Be creative. I actually completed a trade in Winnipeg around 8 or 9 years ago. I brought a McIntosh MAC1900 receiver to Winnipeg, and I...
  10. BilboBaggins

Thorens TD 160 Turntables

The sarge is right. These are rising in value yearly. I bought one about 12 years ago for $180 CAD. Sold it in 2019 for $550. At the time, I got top dollar for it. About a year or two later, I saw a similar condition go for $950. Crazy! I was never a fan of that family of Ortofon cartridge on...
  11. BilboBaggins

Guess who found a JBL PARAGON at Goodwill!

I don't think I could have passed on these either. Just too cool a speaker to leave behind. This would be a really good project if you are not in a hurry, and are willing to play around. Yep, I would have gone for it! Is the opening for 12 inch or 15 inch woofers? Maybe use EV full range drivers...
  12. BilboBaggins

Collections: What Do You Have That Is NON-Audio related?

I put most of my favourite Bronze, Art Glass, and Pottery and miscellaneous into the main cabinet. I used the IKEA shelving as side borders for the TV. The centre channel speaker is on an IKEA shelf anchored to studs. With a few other pieces in my collection. I was looking for a cool interchange...
  13. BilboBaggins

Collections: What Do You Have That Is NON-Audio related?

I collect many different things. But a passion of mine is art glass, pottery, and bronze. Here is most of what I have left after downsizing my collection. I just don't have the same space to display it, and out of sight, out of mind. There is other stuff, including masks from places I have been...
  14. BilboBaggins

Girls on LP cover - REDUX

I need to keep an eye out for that one, to add to my Mancini collection!
  15. BilboBaggins

Anyone Know What These Are?

Well, that is sort of why we do this. To try them out, get the experience, and then move them on. It is a way of slowing improving your system with minimal cost and risk. Because room, environment, ceiling, reflections, amp, and even preamp all affect how it all sounds together. It isn't as...
  16. BilboBaggins

Anyone Know What These Are?

That is where trying your luck comes in. No risk, no score.
  17. BilboBaggins

Bose 601 series i

I had the 8.2s and the 601s beat them hands down. In fact, the guy who first tried out my 8.2s (when I was selling them after moving in different directions), thought his 601s were better. I remember auditioning the 10.2s and they sounded nice. Much more full than the 8.2s, which scared the crap...
  18. BilboBaggins

Bose 601 series i

I completely agree with @onwardjames ! That site will have them. I had to get a couple for mine when I got them. Enjoy. They are considered by many to be the best Bose made. I've had 2 versions of 901s, and I thought the version 3 sounded nicer with the MAC1900 I was driving them with at the...
  19. BilboBaggins

Mystery Advent Speakers - Resolved?

Too bad about the Advent label. Not an easy fix either. Those must have been factory seconds. But I'm glad you now know more about them. Mine have moved on, but they sounded pretty good while I had them.
  20. BilboBaggins

The Return of the Giant Hogweed or How I Fell Back into the Vinyl Rabbit Hole!

One of the things I realized over the years I have been subscribing to AK is that we are all into this hobby in a big way. It is nice that there are so many others in the world also in it to varying extents. And thanks to the great moderation here, we have a civil place to enjoy the hobby.
  21. BilboBaggins

Glad you enjoyed the story! Yes, I had been wanting to talk about how I got back into this hobby, but didn't have an approach until I realized, I had cleaned ALL my records. I had an approach after all. It was fun to write.
  22. BilboBaggins

It all started when I bought that copy of Moon Tan by Golden Earring. I had it in the 70s, of course. It was one of the best driving songs up there with Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd and Highway Star. I purchased a frame for it at Value Village, and I was happy. For a time. Then I got another...
  23. BilboBaggins

Yamaha GT-2000 Turntable Social Group

Congrats! And I'm glad your new baby arrived without incident. You are in for a treat, I can promise you that.
  24. BilboBaggins

Upgrade or Not? Sansui vs. McIntosh

I was driving my Cornwall 1s with a McIntosh MC2205 and a C26. That combinations was really nice together. The bass was gorgeous, the mids were lush, and the highs were not honky at all, as long as you didn't push it too hard. I think the 2100 is about the minimum I would use in solid state for...
  25. BilboBaggins

Thoughts on center channel mounted above TV screen?

I have mine above my TV. And I have it tilted down to point at the two listening positions in that room. It works quite well that way. I had my 32 inch Sony hooked up that way, and now I have the 65 in LG TV set up with the Klipsch center on top. I prefer it that way. It lets me also use an IKEA...
Back
Top Bottom