Search results

1. tmtomh

Words to live by

The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple. Oscar Wilde
  2. tmtomh

My “New” Magnavox CDB650

Worth it just for that tilt-down programming pad on the upper right.
  3. tmtomh

Three Pronged Head Scratcher

I feel your pain! For what it's worth, I first replaced my unbalanced RCA interconnects from my EQ to my power amp with RCA-to-XLR cables (RCA out from the EQ since the EQ has only unbalanced jacks, and XLR in to the power amp). That did not entirely solve the issue but it did help: It...
  4. tmtomh

Three Pronged Head Scratcher

Just chiming in to say that despite all the acrimony, I've found this thread highly educational (and amusing on occasion as well). I'm dealing with a minor ground-loop issue in my component chain: source component 3-prong, pre/EQ 2-prong, power amp 3-prong, and sadly unbalanced interconnects...
  5. tmtomh

How many watts of my MA7900 are Class A?

Actually, no. That's true for a forum in general, but this is a Mac-specific subforum explicitly for folks interested in McIntosh gear. So when you jump into a thread with an admittedly completely uninformed and useless bit of speculation in response to the OP ("could be 1 watt, I don't know")...
  6. tmtomh

Adobe unsupported?

Not going affect PDF or any other Adobe apps or technology. The vast majority of online video has moved away from Flash. Should be minimal impact. Good riddance to it!
  7. tmtomh

Marantz CD-73: not recognizing disc, laser seems fine, voltages differ oddly from SM?

Thanks for documenting your work here. Very interesting. I hope things continue to look up!
  8. tmtomh

My Polycarbonate Experience (with Pictures)

I think it looks great, and I commend you on your ingenuity. Polycarbonate definitely scratches, but it does not turn into a scratch-filled mess like acrylic/plexiglass. In normal, careful use, you shouldn't have any problems with scratching.
  9. tmtomh

Anyone ever has Fedex say they delivered a package and there wasn't one?

Fedex Ground/Home Delivery is the worst of the major delivery services. Unfortunately the experiences detailed here are not unusual. I never use Fedex ground to ship, and whenever possible I avoid them when I am the buyer/recipient as well.
  10. tmtomh

UPS Tracking: "Order Processed: Ready for UPS"

If it were USPS, I would say it's 99% that they just missed a scan and it will show up as updated in the system at a later date. With UPS, I would say that's less likely but still possible. Depending on where you are located and where the shipper is located, it could take 6-7 days to reach you...
  11. tmtomh

DOES YOUR STEREO DO IT'S JOB?

Yes, mine does its job: plays music with what I perceive as good fidelity, and gives me enjoyment on a daily basis.
  12. tmtomh

Discogs shipping cost

So no price gouging then. It's a simple matter to check a seller's location - every Discogs item for sale says where it ships from.
  13. tmtomh

Discogs shipping cost

Folks should be aware that on October 1, Discogs will require all sellers to have a "shipping policy" set up for everything in their inventory - and as sellers scramble to get those policies set up, this is now starting to affect the shipping price that shows up on buyers' invoices. Here's what...
  14. tmtomh

Pallas pressing plant

Yes, in 2013 there was a Pallas USA but the vinyl was all pressed in Germany. Also, Discogs guidelines say that the Country field of each entry (pressing) in the database should be listed for the main county of distribution, not manufacturing. So every pre-2018 Pallas LP will be pressed in...
  15. tmtomh

I think I smoked my receiver

Wow - fantastic luck and good decision to get the second, inexpensive one from eBay. Your dearly departed first one can be a parts donor if necessary. In the end it seems like you did fine. All's well that ends well.
  16. tmtomh

Digitizing You Tube Audio. How to?

You're laboring under an incorrect assumption. I've used ffmpeg quite a lot - as had anyone who's used Audacity to convert files. Ffmpeg is great, as are several other high-quality converters. And same to you. :bye:
  17. tmtomh

Seems to matter to you at least a little.
  18. tmtomh

To each their own. I certainly can't tell high-bitrate mp3 or AAC from lossless. But a lossy conversion of a medium-bitrate lossy source - like YouTube 128k AAC to mp3 - that produces audible effects in my experience.
  19. tmtomh

Fair enough - although you don't really want an extension or web site that converts YouTube audio, since YouTube audio already is lossy encoded from the original uploading process. So you want to keep the original YT audio format (which is almost always 128k AAC).
  20. tmtomh

Yes, by far the best way is to use one of many free web sites: you paste in the URL of the YouTube video, and the web site spits out a series of downloadable options (most of them are different video resolutions, but the audio is the same). Easy.
  21. tmtomh

Replacing motors on a Nakamichi CR-7a

My question too. Did some quick Googling and apparently it's a real, idiomatic expression. At any rate, great thread, really interesting RE the CR-7a.
  22. tmtomh

Onkyo M-504 - found on Curb

Amazing find - congratulations!
  23. tmtomh

Infinity Kappa 8

FWIW my father (who's had a fairly serious hi-fi setup of one sort or another for the past 60 years) bought a pair of Kappa 9s new in the early 90s and recently replaced the shot domes with a pair that cost, I believe, under $250 for the pair, and he's over the moon - says the speakers sound...
  24. tmtomh

A Hundred Quality Watts On a budget

I take your point, but even keeping the clipping threshold constant, many of the pro amps sacrifice a degree of noise and distortion performance for robustness and power. Nothing wrong with that, and the increased distortion in particular might not be audible. The noise, though, I'd be a little...
Back
Top Bottom