Search results

1. Roivas

Comment by 'Roivas' in media 'Expedit Disaster'

@OnTheBlitz Thankfully not mine. Someone on the Steve Hoffman forum posted this and it's haunted my nightmares ever since! That being said, as others will point out, the structure of this particular unit was weakened by an improper build. I use it to remind myself not to overstock furniture...
  2. Roivas

Advice for first tt

Enjoy the new (for you) table! Now you just need something to spin on it!
  3. Roivas

I need your opinion on stacking Kallax.

Off-topic, but I just had to say, WOW. I note that you appear to have both of the recent Beatles resissues, as well as the MoFi box and either a Blue Box or the OG Mono set (hard to tell from the pic). I've got the two recent sets, but seeing the other sets makes me very jealous. Nice.
  4. Roivas

I need your opinion on stacking Kallax.

The OP already made up his mind, but as advice to anyone else who comes by this thread: don't do this. A friend and I both use Expedits (the precursor to the Kallax with slightly thicker outer walls), and his 5x5s sag a bit without being fully loaded. Trying to stack even MORE weight on there...
  5. Expedit Disaster

Expedit Disaster

6. Roivas

Where's.......Tom Petty

Ran into a couple in the wild, but both were priced in the hundreds. Both still were sold within a couple weeks between my visits. But it's supposedly being reissued next year, so it might not stay that way for long [crosses fingers].
  7. Roivas

cheap aluminum 45 adapters

The ones with taller "cone tops" work really well. I've bought a couple of the flat ones and they're always half a millimeter too wide so they won't fit in the 45 hole. That's my experience anyway, YMMV
  8. Roivas

Where's.......Tom Petty

To the OP: there's always Discogs, which is a great marketplace for vinyl. However, if you're only checking one record store, that's your problem. Depending on who owns the store and how they get their used inventory, what they have on the shelves can majorly vary even in the same geographic...
  9. Roivas

Best Sources for Denon 103R?

It does help! Thanks for the replies, everyone!
  10. Roivas

I need a new turntable. Opinions, please?

I've only used the Audio Technica and the Orbit Plus. Of the two, the Orbit is the better-sounding table. However, swapping out carts is not easy, as the counter weight doesn't "dial-in" as it does on other tables. But mine sounds great, so YMMV but I'd personally choose the Orbit.
  11. Roivas

Best Sources for Denon 103R?

So, I've been out of the game for a little while as life got in the way. Now that I'm getting my systems set up again, I find myself in need of another cart for one of my turntables. I was looking at the 103R, and I see that they're often to be had for about $100 less than retail by going...
  12. Roivas

Does this exist? Bluetooth for tt's

It will work, but you'll lose a lot of sound quality and detail by using bluetooth. Sonos is one company that allows hi-resolution audio streaming, though it is a little pricey. I'm pretty sure that Apple Play does high-resolution audio, also. But Bluetooth is VERY lossy for audio, even with...
  13. Roivas

AUDIO TECHNICA AT-LP60, how bad is it?

Having had both tables (and I still own the Orbit), the Orbit is a much better table, but it also costs about $75 more in the real world. The AT-LP 60 is not near as bad as the OP seems to indicate in the opening post of this thread, but it's nothing to write home about. It's basically a good...
  14. Roivas

Hypothetical -- which auto TT from the past would you buy new now?

Yeah, I'd love to get my hands on one of those. However, I don't think I have the cash to afford any of the ones left in even decent working order.
  15. Roivas

If you bought it for $500 in 1980, it'd set you back just shy of $1,500 in 2015 dollars. FWIW... http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm
  16. Roivas

This topic makes me yearn for more decent full auto tables, which are out of fashion these days. I think I'd like to try out a Yamaha PX-2. What I already have, the 1610mk2, would be a second choice, just because it'd be nice to have it when it was shiny and new (though mine runs well, it came...
  17. Roivas

SL-1100-SL-1700 owners club

So, fun story. I've been looking for a changer for awhile and just picked one up, an SL-1350 (with the 45 spindle!!!). It's not totally functional yet, but when it is I'll be posting a pic of it here. Now I can be a member of both clubs. If I get a 1200, I'll have the full hat-trick!
  18. Roivas

Vinyl record collecting and d-i-v-o-r-c-e

My mother and father moved in together in college. At the time, my mom put a small piece of yellow electrical tape on the bottom corner of her albums because she and my dad had so many in common (and she took much better care of her albums than my father did. Years later, when they divorced...
  19. Roivas

Best Cart Options for Technics around $300 or less

Occasionally, yes.
  20. Roivas

Basic (but solid) As-Cheap-As-Possible TT Setup

Just saw this. Perhaps a good solution in one fell swoop: http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/ele/5061420683.html
  21. Roivas

Basic (but solid) As-Cheap-As-Possible TT Setup

I'll second what was said earlier about the Audio Technica LP60 being a good starter table that usually sells at almost exactly $100. It's a great intro table without some of the hassles of vintage gear, and it can easily be had. However, if you're willing to look and do the upkeep, I also...
  22. Roivas

Best Cart Options for Technics around $300 or less

Hey folks, I've been using a Denon 110 as the daily driver for a little while and am quite happy with it. I've also liked the Nagaoka MP-110 in the past, though it's not as good as the Denon is. Now, I'm getting a new table (Technics 1350) and would like to eventually put a cart that's at...
  23. Roivas

Article on how to start listening to records

I'm sure Ageism is a problem that cuts both ways and has always existed. Just for the record, your replies weren't what my comment was referring to. Anyway, back to the article...
  24. Roivas

Beatles in Mono

You're in for a real treat. For my money, Revolver is the best-done of the new reissues. Really great mastering for such wonderful music. Enjoy!
  25. Roivas

Article on how to start listening to records

"Yes, these kids today don't know nothing, do they? Why, them punks with their Crosley and their swearing, they don't remember the good old days!" Sorry, that was rude of me, wasn't it? So please stop with the not-so-veiled insults of younger members of the forum. But seriously, folks, it's...
Back
Top Bottom